Anyone know anything about Thousand Trails???

dfchelbay

DIS Veteran
Hi all. Wanted to ask if anyone has any information on membership to Thousand Trails. We currently have DVC and use it mostly for the Fort. We would like to spend more time in Florida during the winter months, and we don't have enough points to do that. Thousand Trails is offering $$$$ membership fee, which gives you 30 days camping for free, then you pay $3 per night thereafter. I spoke with a membership agent yesterday, and her pressure tactics over the phone were obnoxious. She claims that there are no other fees and that's all I would pay. I don't necessarily believe that. I looked online, and their website, and I find no contract information, or renewal amounts, etc. Anyone have the low down on them. It seems like a way too good to be true deal. Is this place for real or not.

We have annual passes, so we could partake in WDW while there. We rarely see other stuff in Florida, and would like to start doing that. I found just a few things online that were negative complaints, from 2007 and one from 2011. Anyone have any experience with Thousand Trails. Thanks.

I have no experience with this property but one of them is close to WDW (just west of the property on Hwy 27 it looks like).

Everything I've ever heard about time share sales (as long as you go in fully informed) says try to buy resale from somebody (which would be cheaper) instead of buying from the timeshare itself. Have you looked for any resales, dfchelbay?

Bama ED

I don't know about their membership. You can stay as a guest without a membership. We did that at the one in Clermont in Dec 10/Jan11. for $35.00 a night.

We let our membership go. Outdoor world consolidated with thousand trails and it went from OK to worse in a matter of moments. After the merger we found the level of service to be far worse than when it was just ODW. They also allow non members to use the facilities without a membership and at some locations it became a free for all. I use mostly the Poconos and NJ Shore area locations and toward the end of my term noticed an increase in thefts, loud partying, and just disrespect for other campers. I am not saying that members couldn't do these things - it was my experience that it was the non members. Also, the facilities were not kept up as nice as they once were. I used to cabin camp (which is expensive) and my friends RV camped. They used to complain about how the sites were allocated and something about tent campers and where they were placed. I don't recall the specifics but it was pretty bad. They also were starting to push the "owners cabins" where people could buy cabins and they were not shared but deeded properties. This took a lot of space from the locations I went to. It seemed like TT's focus were selling these cabins and not on the facilities. The common areas and rental cabins were not in the best condition and run down.

Also, customer service at TT was substandard to say the least. The only response I got from them was when I withheld my annual dues. I sent letters and left messages for Customer Service regarding some issues I had and they were not addressed. Only when I withheld payment did someone call me and it was not a pleasant experience - think collections on steriods with the rudest person available. I gathered that they care only about the money and their customer service is really bad.

As I said I mostly have done PA/NJ locations so it may be different where you are but I wanted to give you my viewpoint because it really doesn't pay to be a member. As a PP said you can be a non member and RV there anyway, I could not really see the incentive to paying the membership and annual dues when they let anyone come in. In my experience it was not a good thing.

I hope this helps somewhat.... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter