Anyone have experience in monorail playset repair?

jilldw

Mouseketeer
Hi all!
I just bought a non working dumbo playset. I can hear the motor running but the elephants don’t spin or raise. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has tried to repair things like this before I try and take it apart and perhaps make things worse.
Thanks for any advice anyone might have!
Jill

Thanks so much for the reply and the link to the thread. I've never worked on anything like this before so this may be a stupid question...but I have to remove the arms that hold the Dumbos before I can get the rest apart to get to the gear?
Thanks for all the advice!

The main housing cannot come apart until the arms are removed. Pressing out the pins is best done with a small gear press but I do not know which one would work best. I used a modified small c-clamp. Pressing the new gear onto the motor should also be done with a gear press to avoid damaging the motor.

Like working on the monorails, the most difficult part is often finding/making the tools to do the job. ;)

Last edited:

Thanks for the advice! I'll order a gear and see what happens! :) What kind of gear press would work with the gear I am ordering...or is that a non-part specific item?

Thanks for the advice! I'll order a gear and see what happens! :) What kind of gear press would work with the gear I am ordering...or is that a non-part specific item?
NWSL has some nice gear puller/press but $$$. A 2" c-clamp makes a nice, inexpensive press. :) The idea is to not press/pull on the internals of the motor but to apply the force to both ends of the shaft.

Thank for the expert advice! NWSL says they aren’t taking orders quite yet but once they are back to taking orders I will place mine. They said they carry the gear. I may bend your ear again if I may once I get started. You have been incredibly helpful in explaining to a complete novice!

Thank for the expert advice! NWSL says they aren’t taking orders quite yet but once they are back to taking orders I will place mine. They said they carry the gear. I may bend your ear again if I may once I get started. You have been incredibly helpful in explaining to a complete novice!

I am happy to share what I learn from operating "Monorail Modeler". Feel free to contact me when you receive your gear. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter