Anyone have a great Apple Pie or Apple Recipes

Helopoh

<font color=3300FF>Who me jump??<br><font color=FF
Yes Ladies and Gentlemen it is officially Apple picking season and with the season in full swing here in the North I was hoping to make an Apple Pie or something with Apples in it. I would appreciate any contribution to my lacking recipe archive. Thanks in Advance... Denise

It's not pie but anybody I've ever served this to has liked it!

America's Cut Pork Chops with Apples
4 c. apples, peeled and sliced
1/4c. brown sugar
1/4c. white sugar
2 T. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
4 America's cut pork shops (About 1 inch thick, no bone)
1 egg
1 T. water
soda cracker crumbs
1/2 c. water
Slice apples as for pie. Mix with sugars, flour and spices. Place in a baking dish. Dip chops in egg and water mixture. Coat with cracker crumbs. Lay chops over apples. Pour 1/2 c. water over chops. Bake at 350 for 1- 1 1/2 hours.

Here are a couple for you.

Cream and Crumb Schnitz Pie
Pastry for one crust pie
Enough apples to fill pie shell 1/3 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar 2/3 cup cream
3 Tbsp. butter 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
Mix butter, sugar and flour into crumbs. Sprinkle half in bottom of shell. Peel and core the apples, cut them and arrange them on top of the crumbs. Mix half the remaining crumbs with the cream and pour mixture over the apples. Finally mix the cinnamon with the rest of the crumbs and sprinkle these over top. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes, then at 350F for about 1/2 hour.

Butterscotch Apple Cake
2 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp. vanilla
2 or 3 apples peeled & cored 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butterscotch topping 1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs, separated 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. water Additional butterscotch topping
1/2 cup sugar whipped topping
Melt butter in 8x8x2 pan. Slice apples and arrange in butter on bottom of pan. Pour butterscotch topping over apples. Beat egg yolks with 2 Tbsp. of water. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and add to egg yolk mixture a little at a time until well mixed. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into cake batter. Pour batter over apples and butterscotch in pan. Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm with additional butterscotch topping drizzled over the top and a dollop of whipped topping.

Apple Pie
Not what I call a recipe - just "throw it in"
Into a crust, put 1 - 2 Tbl tapioca (or flour), lots of cinnamon (or apple pie spice, if available), 2 - 3 Tbl sugar & sliced apples to fill. Sprinkle again with cinnamon or sugar. Bake at 350 until "done." To make a sugar free pie, omit sugar & pour 1/2 to 2/3 of a 12 oz can of diet cream soda over the apples. Sounds weird, but is really good! Of course, I always used a brand with saccharin in it, not Equal.

Apple Dumplings
Makes 6

2 c water 1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Mix ingredients & cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat & add 1/4 c margarine. Set aside.
Prepare pie crust, roll out & cut into 6" squares. Place a small apple that is pared & cored on each square. Sprinkle with additional sugar & cinnamon. Dot with margarine. Moisten edged of pastry. Bring corners to center & pinch edges together.
Place 1" apart in an ungreased 13x9x2 baking dish. Pour syrup over dumplings.
Bake at 375 for 35 - 40 minutes. Serve warm with milk or ice cream.

Jewish Apple Cake

3 to 5 apples, sliced
5 Tbl sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
3 c flour, unsifted
2 c sugar
1 c oil
4 eggs
Juice of one orange (1/3 cup)
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 tsp baking powder

Mix together 5 Tbl sugar & cinnamon. Set aside.
Put all ingredients, except apples & sugar/cinnamon mixture, into a bowl & beat until smooth.
Pour 1/2 batter into a greased tube pan. Arrange half the apples on top & sprinkle with 1/2 the cinnamon mixture. Pour in rest of batter, alyer apples & top with remaining cinnamon mixture.
Bake at 350 ~1 1/2 hours.

Applesauce Cake**

2 c sugar
1 c shortening
2 1/2 c applesauce
2 tsp baking soda dissolved in a little hot water
4 c flour
1 c raisins (opt)
1 c nuts, chopped (opt)
1 Tbl cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves, ground
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients & put in two 9x9 or one 13x9 greased & floured pan. Bake at 350 until cake tester comes out clean.

**My grandmother always made this with the most incredible brown sugar icing. I can't find the recipe right now as I never use it (I'm diabetic). If/when I find it, I'll update the recipe.

UPDATE: Brown Sugar Icing
2 c brown sugar
5 Tbl milk
"piece" of butter/margarine
Combine all ingredients. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and beat until smooth.
Pour over cake to coat top & sides.
(I started with about 2-3 Tbl butter for the 'piece' & added if necessary. How did our grandmothers cook with recipes like these???)

This is verrrryy simple and sooooo good....

Peel and slice apple(s), 'season' to taste with brown sugar and cinnamon. Place in microwave safe bowl and nuke til tender, stirring occasionally. Serve hot over vanilla ice cream. Quick and Yummy!!!!

OMG thank you All I am floored. I had not thought about alternate apple uses...DH just said we have apples make a pie. Boy will he be surprised....lol

Make one recipe biscuits. Roll out to about a 9" x 13" rectangle.

Chop about 3 cups apples and sprinkle over dough. Sprinkle cinnamon over top.

Roll up dough jellyroll fasion, starting with long end. Cut in slices and put in baking dish.

Combine 1 c cold water, 1 TBSP flour, and 1 c sugar in small sauce pan. Bring to boil and pour over dumplings.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

From the More-with-Less cookbook.

This is cheating, but delicious. I take peeled apples and chop them in my Pampered Chef food chopper. The kids love banging on that thing! You could also use a knife and a cutting board.

Make a yellow cake mix using applesauce instead of oil. Add cinnamon, ground ginger, and cloves. How much?? Depends on how strong you want the flavors. 1/2 tsp -- 2 tablespoons. Stir in the chopped apples and bake according to directions, adding a little extra time if it's still runny.

A slice of this with milk, hot tea, or coffee is wonderful.

DD enjoys making this one by herself!

Apple Pizza

1 can refrigerator biscuits
1 c grated cheddar cheese
4 applies, sliced
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbl flour
dots of butter (opt)

Mix together sugar, cinnamon & flour. Flatten biscuits and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Put 3 - 4 apple slices on each biscuit. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with cinnamon mixture. Bake at 350 for 8 - 10 minutes.

One day when we were out of cheddar & I didn't want to substitute American, we just skipped the cheese & then iced with some Cream Cheese icing (in a can) that we had on hand. YUM!

Here's another one:

Caramel Apple Sauce
1 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
4 cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup apple juice
In heavy frypan over high heat, sprinkle sugar over bottom of pan. When sugar begins to caramelize, add butter and allow it to melt. Add apples and then juice. Continue to stir and cook until caramel is melted and apples are cooked.
Serve over ice cream.

What about bake apples? They are great right out of the oven or you can eat them cold.

Here is a recipe (not my own) that I have for you. It's really the kind of thing that I just throw together.

Baked Apples

4 tart green apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Scoop out the core from top of the apple, leaving a well. Do not cut all the way through. Stuff each apple with 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 tablespoon butter. Place in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, until sugar begins to caramelize and apples are tender.

I usually make mine with a combination of brown sugar and honey. I also like to put raisins into the well in the apples.

Wow, I just asked this on the CB!! Great recipes, I'm printing this so I can use all the apples I have!! Thanks for asking this Helopoh:)

My mom said my grandmother used to make baked apples for them when they were young, she did them much like the baked apple recipe in Beth's post, but stuffed the core with red hots candies. A local restaurant in town serves a baked apple stuff with cream cheese as a garnish. They must do something along the lines of the red hot thing, because even though the apple is peeled, it is still bright red.

All of these recipes sound awesome. I can't wait for cooler weather here!

Candi

These apple recipes sound great. Years ago, when I had just read the book The Homecoming (the one The Waltons was based on) I decided to make the cake from the book. My family went nuts over it. I just found it on the net and thought maybe I should share it with you. I may make it for Thanksgiving this year.

Applesauce Cake

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 cups applesauce
1 cup light raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 1/2 cups sifted flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons cloves
2 teaspoons nutmeg
pinch of salt

Sift together: Flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Take 1/2 cup of flour mixture and stir into the nuts and raisins.
Set both aside. Cream butter until whipped soft. Add sugar a little at a time until mixture is smooth. Beat eggs vigorously. Alternately
stir in flour mixture and applesauce. When all mixed together add nuts and raisins then mix well. Pour batter into a well-greased cake
mold. Bake in preheated oven at 350° for one hour. Cool ten minutes, then turn out onto a cake rack. Frost with Whiskey Frosting
when cake is cool.

Jane's Whiskey Frosting
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon cream
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoon whiskey
pinch of salt
Cream butter, add sugar and salt, then cream and whiskey. Whip until smooth. Frost cake. Decorate with a sprig of holly.

The above recipes were taken from the book "The Homecoming"
by Earl Hamner, Jr.

I made mom-to-3's apple cake and it was so good! I used a lot of cinnamon and just a dash of the other spices. I also used Egg Beaters instead of regular eggs, so it was almost fat free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter