Anyone have a child with leukemia?

Dancin Desert

Mouseketeer
Hello,

I'm not a doctor, nor do I work in the medical field in any capacity. I'm just a dad; one whose youngest son is beating Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. He was diagnosed with that dreaded disease on 11/5/04. On 5/8/07, he was told he is "leukemia free". While he is not completely out of the woods (he needs to be "leukemia free" for 5 years until he can be pronounced "cured"), much of his "former" life has returned to almost normal. He is almost 7 years old now, and I'm oh-so-thankful.

If you're a parent of a child with leukemia, especially newly diagnosed, I'm here for you. I've been afraid, scared, angry, curious, thankful, exhausted, rejuvenated ... you name it, I've been there.

If you don't want to write back, that's fine. Just know that you are not alone, and that someone is praying for you.

Dave

I am responding with hugs and prayers. Your post really hit home to me. That is not a club anyone wants to join, but sadly some have to..

I am SO happy to hear your son is beating it...God bless your entire family..

:hug: :hug: :hug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Thanks.
But I don't need prayers concerning leukemia. My son and all of the doctors and nurses need them. Without the love and devotion of the health care professionals, and the gifts they've been given by God, my son wouldn't be around today.

You're right, I don't like being in this "club". If however, that is/was God's plan, then I'm here ... front and center.

Was/Is there a "positive" from this for me and my family? I think that my sons and I have all learned not to stare at those who are different, but to show compassion and get to know those people better. After all, some of my sons' closest friends have/had leukemia and I am friends with their parents.

Take care.

Dave

I don't have a child with Leukemia but I have a child with cancer , I thank you for wanting to be here for people who may be facing the same thing that you did , and I will pray that your son continues to be leukemia free for many years.

Mskanga,

Thank you for your kind words and prayers. Cancer, and its different forms, is an all-too-familiar word in my extended family.

My prayers, sympathies and hopes go out to you and your family as you tackle that dreaded "c" word.

I am here for you if you ever need a "cyber-shoulder" on which to cry.

Dave

Dancin Desert said:
But I don't need prayers concerning leukemia. My son and all of the doctors and nurses need them. Without the love and devotion of the health care professionals, and the gifts they've been given by God, my son wouldn't be around today.
Wow. As a nurse I'd like to thank you so much for these sentiments. It's refreshing to hear that what we do is appreciated. I'm so glad your son is beating his disease.

I'd like to share a story with you. I was diagnosed with cancer 12 days before our first Disney Cruise. I was sad and scared beyond belief but trying to keep it together. Then one morning at breakfast I noticed a family with a terminally ill child. It changed my thinking very quickly. In an instant I realized I was glad it was me and not one of my children (she says with a big lump in her throat). I can't imagine how difficult it is to go through something like that.

Thank you for being here for others. It's important to hear from survivors when you're living it.

pea-n-me,

Continued good-luck on your battle and survival of breast cancer.

My son, throughout his "ordeal" always seemed to be upbeat. Maybe it was his naivite (sp?), but he seemed to face every challenge (from blood tests, to IV's, to medi-port surgeries, spinals, bone marrow aspirations, etc.) with an "that didn't hurt too much ... is that it?" curiousity.

I almost understand what you were going through after your diagnosis. I felt so sorry for myself, my son and my family that I cried for hours. Then, one day, I decided the following ... his leukemia had (at the time) an 85% "success" rate, and that he was NOT going to be a part of the "other 15%". From then on, we've never looked back. Sure, things haven't always gone smoothly. But when bumps in the road occurred (fevers, dehydration, high liver enzyme counts, etc.) we simply followed the doctors' instructions.

Take care. I'll keep checking in, but send me a PM should you ever need.

Dave

I hear you all on so many levels.. I am a parent who watched her daughter battle thyroid cancer and heard people say well if you have to have
a cancer this is the one to have. I never quite understood that one because just the word itself changes your whole life. She is clean almost 10 years but functions in life without a thyroid on artificial hormones, but she is here and I am thankful..

But then we are doing battle again with my husband so once again this family has to live with the C word and all that it means.. We are here for each other and I am thankful for all of you being here. I think it is good to reach out and I do that when I need it. I am happy you are here Dancin Desert for help and support for those who need it and also in giving that help, I truly believe you get it back tenfold..

Hugs to all of us..

Mackey,

You're right. The event of hearing the "C" word, especially in a child, changes parents. I equate the feeling to what the USA has experienced post-9/11. There is a new sense of "normalcy". It's like I'm always ready for the "other shoe to drop".

The good thing, I think, about our "C" experiences is that ... at least in my experience ... I NOW KNOW how tough my youngest son is, and how he'll most likely handle adversity in the future. I know that his older brother will be supportive. I also know that, when needed, my extended familty is truly there for each other in a flash when needed.

Continued good wishes to your daughter, and stay strong for your DH. Stay strong, stay focused, and stay positive, for your DH needs it.

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter