Anyone going in February 2018?

carolinainmymind

Mouseketeer
We've just booked 8-nights for this February 2018. Excited to find 8-nights together on DVC points during a holiday week (we are going just before Presidents' Day weekend and staying the week). It aligns with our winter break so not missing school...bonus. Anyone else going around the same time? We'd love to pen pal before hand. If you are and are interested in a couple pen pals message me.

I'm reading all I can on these boards and trying to sort activities for February. Any and all advice is appreciated! We've booked our cabana. Shocked that they open up and book this far out, so that was a lesson learned, but it's my birthday while we're there so I figured this would be a fun way to celebrate. We'll have 2 boys (8 and 11), who love to swim - they prefer the pools to the parks when we do WDW...which I firmly believe is madness but hopefully is a win at Aulani. If the ocean water isn't too cold, we are hoping to boogie board. Grandma and Grandpa will be joining this trip too, so trying to find some low key adventures. And of course excited to find some good food.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Ko Olini is protected, but February you have an excellent chance at big waves on the north shore. You can not go in the water during big waves but they are spectacular to see. Look up Ehukai Beach park, that is the banzai pipeline and the best spot to watch the waves.

That's the week we will be there, it will be our third time.
The biggest advice is to go to Costco if you have a membership.
Food prices on the island are more than you'll be prepared for.

Thanks for the great advice! @longboard55 I had no idea we might get to watch the really big waves. My kids will love it. Ehukai Beach Park is now on my list!!!

@Bunless we are Costco members and love them. We were thinking Costco might be the way to go, but I wasn't sure how far they'd be. We'll have a rental car, so we'll plan to go on our first morning. My oldest is gluten free (by medical diagnosis) and we've found that eating out is sometimes more stressful than relaxing because of it (that said we choose Disney resorts because they do such a great job with the gf options). Any tips on shopping lists or foods that are good buys on the island are appreciated:)

I second a day trip to the North Shore. I recommend heading out earlier, but after rush hour traffic, as parking can get kind of hairy. I would stop at Leonard's malasada food truck on the way. Banzai Pipeline is our favorite viewing spot, no swimming as its too dangerous. For lunch, drive into Haleiwa for Kono's - my FIL has celiac disease and he got a great plate lunch there (well several of us did, but the GF was especially important for him). We enjoyed walking around, grabbed some shaved ice at Matsumotos. Then around 2:30 we drove back to Aulani and headed out to the pools.

Costco was a great stop for food and souvenirs. It is close - 10 minutes.

I liked the Swap Meet. Yes, people will say there is a lot of junk there, but I thought it was a great place to pick up a few t-shirts, a huge beach tote, a few yards of fabric, plus they had some yummy fresh fruit that we snacked on.

I so wish we had been able to drive to the other side of the island and explore some of the beaches over there. Our last trip was only 5 days and with some pre-scheduled group activities and very young children, we didn't make it. Kualoa Ranch seems like a popular option as well.

We usually go ever February, but next year we're going to try to find a quieter time at the resort to book our stay (does that even exist anymore?). I love that time of year because the weather is perfect, and the whales are still around. Groupon is a great place to watch for deals on excursions.

We hit Costco on our way (it's the exit before the resort), but we prefer Foodland for smaller items over Target and Safeway.

The resort is always at capacity during President's Week/mid-winter break, so just be prepared for that. Make as many reservations as you can, as early as you can.

Have fun!

@Elima2015 I am so excited to check out the Swap Meet! I've also heard good things about Kualoa Ranch, my hubby's coworker was just recommending it, but I think we might have to prioritize North Shore first. This thread has me sold. I'm excited to see those waves!!!!

@Soccerluvinmama you are right. I don't know that there is a quiet time anymore. Thanks for the heads up on President's Day week. We are former East Coasters so I'm not used to this Winter Break thing. Seems like a lot of places have it. We are preparing for some crowds. My bday falls over that weekend so I did reserve a cabana for that day ...thinking we might not be able to secure pool seating but the cabanas are a bit pricey so I'm debating keep the cabana or spend the day at the spa lol

Thank you all of the great info! It's so helpful to hear everyone's experiences...way better than trying to read this darn Fodor's Guide:)

@Elima2015 I am so excited to check out the Swap Meet! I've also heard good things about Kualoa Ranch, my hubby's coworker was just recommending it, but I think we might have to prioritize North Shore first. This thread has me sold. I'm excited to see those waves!!!!

@Soccerluvinmama you are right. I don't know that there is a quiet time anymore. Thanks for the heads up on President's Day week. We are former East Coasters so I'm not used to this Winter Break thing. Seems like a lot of places have it. We are preparing for some crowds. My bday falls over that weekend so I did reserve a cabana for that day ...thinking we might not be able to secure pool seating but the cabanas are a bit pricey so I'm debating keep the cabana or spend the day at the spa lol

Thank you all of the great info! It's so helpful to hear everyone's experiences...way better than trying to read this darn Fodor's Guide:)

Pool seats will be hard, unless you're down early. This past February was the first time I even had problems getting a chair on the beach. It's all good though! I always tell people too, check out Groupon for great deals on excursions. For many of them you have to use within 90 days of purchase, so it's a little soon to buy, but it's still fun to look :) https://www.groupon.com/browse/hono...lulu&locationId=GOChIJTUbDjDsYAHwRbJen81_1KEs

Also, there are, in my opinion, limited food options in Ko Olina. If you don't have it already, download the Yelp app and check out establishments in Kapolei. You can find EVERYTHING there! With that said, our favorite go to place to grab a bit for cheap was the deli at the ABC store across the street from the resort. http://islandcountrymarkets.com/wp-...4/87-Digital-Menus-DELI-MENU-EFF-08-13-16.pdf

If you're planning to do some sitting on the beach (to watch the surfers), might I suggest these? Even if only for Grandma and Grandpa...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S...SY340_QL65&keywords=coleman+folding+mat+chair

They only weigh 4 pounds, have a shoulder strap, and easily fit in our big (29") rolling suitcase. We took 2 for the 4 of us to share, and they were awesome. DH doesn't snorkel, so it was much better for him than just sitting on a towel for that length of time.

We've just booked 8-nights for this February 2018. Excited to find 8-nights together on DVC points during a holiday week (we are going just before Presidents' Day weekend and staying the week). It aligns with our winter break so not missing school...bonus. Anyone else going around the same time? We'd love to pen pal before hand. If you are and are interested in a couple pen pals message me.

I'm reading all I can on these boards and trying to sort activities for February. Any and all advice is appreciated! We've booked our cabana. Shocked that they open up and book this far out, so that was a lesson learned, but it's my birthday while we're there so I figured this would be a fun way to celebrate. We'll have 2 boys (8 and 11), who love to swim - they prefer the pools to the parks when we do WDW...which I firmly believe is madness but hopefully is a win at Aulani. If the ocean water isn't too cold, we are hoping to boogie board. Grandma and Grandpa will be joining this trip too, so trying to find some low key adventures. And of course excited to find some good food.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I just posted this on another thread...

Here’s some things I have planned and you could research them and see if you would be interested.

•••Hanauma Bay (Has amazing snorkelling) Closed on Tuesday’s

•••Pearl Harbour

•••North Shore Beaches- Here are a few we would like to check out!
•Haleiwa Ali’l Beach Park (Turtles)
•Laniakea Beach (Turtle Beach)
•Waimea Bay
•Sharks Cove (Snorkelling)***Food trucks &Shave Ice across the street
•Banzai Pipeline
•Sunset Beach Park
•Laie Point and don’t forget about the yummy Matsumotos for Shave Ice

•Kualoa Ranch

•Kaneohe Bay (Sandbar) ***We have a Private Boat Tour Booked to go out to the Sandbar and to see some other places ie: Giligans Island and some other snorkel spots and so on...their is a place that you can rent kayaks from right at the Bay and you can Kayak out to the Sandbar as well. It’s called Holokai Adventures

•Kailua Beach (Read this is one is breath taking)
•Lanikai Beach is only about 5 mins from Kailua Beach
•Waimanalo Bay Beach Is appx 20 mins from Lanikai Beach so we plan on hitting all 3 in one day.

•Diamond Head

•Waikiki Beach (some love it some don’t)

•Here are a few other things we hope to see onour trip
•Makapuu Lookout
•Makapuu Tidepools
•Makapuu Point Lighthouse Trail
•Halona Blowhole***(Eternity Beach is next to it)
•Lanai Lookout
•Amelia Earhart Lookout

•Paradise Cove which is walking distance from Aulani. I’ve read their is great snorkelling here and you may see some sea turtles or maybe even a monk seal.

You won’t get this all in, but you could check these places out if they interest you and pick some of your top favs! I’ve been researching and planning for about 1 yr and a 1/2, so if you have anyquestions, feel free to ask!

Also, the book Oahu Revealed is supposed to be really good and informative.

Hope this helps:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!