Anyone Fly First Class?

We cashed in all of hubby's flyer miles to get first class on 3 of 4 legs of our trip to Disney.

Was it nice? Sure. Would I ever pay for first class? Probably not....but that's really because I'd rather fly non stop on an airline without "first class" then book first class on an airline that doesn't operate non stop to MCO from either of the airports I would use.

ETA: I'd probably be more willing to pay for it on a transcontinental flight or international

Not up to first class but when I was doing a lot of cross country traveling for work I personally paid for an upgraded exit row seat with more leg room. It was worth it to me to have those few extra inches to spread out. Then I got frequent flyer status and could get those upgrade seats "for free". Once I got a frequent flyer upgrade to first class. That was very nice.

For our approximately 3 hour trips back and forth to Disney we buy early bird check in on Southwest to make sure we can get the seats we want with plenty of space for our carry on bags. We feel it is worth spending a few extra dollars for the early check in since we have the flexibility to chose our travel dates to get cheaper fares.

I look at distance and price, and I upgrade if it is worth it to me. I'm more interested in the more comfortable seat than anything else, though having my checked luggage come out near the beginning is also nice.

Full disclosure: I have flown first class twice. Once on Midway, after a storm cancelled my original flight. RDU-BOS, we just got to sit in the otherwise empty class, no benefits. The other time after 9/11, where Delta reduced the award fare to 25,000 r/t. That trip is the drinking while boarding trip :), and steak dinner with freshly-made ice cream sundaes, on actual plates. Plastic knives, though

I USED to before SW bought out AirTran. I had an AT credit card and usually had enough points to upgrade for free. My DD LOVED it as a treat, she got fancier drinks & more snacks, that was about it, but it made her feel fancy lol.

I'm flying coach to Frankfurt out of Atlanta in November and not looking forward to it, but it's better than not being able to go at all!

Never done first class, but for most flights I do upgrade to the Premium Economy or Comfort +. All airlines have something with a little extra legroom. I get very claustrophobic and anxious at the back of the plane, so I book something that I know will work for me and pay a little extra.

I'm just curious if anyone here spends the extra money flying first class. Or if you only fly when upgraded or rewards points etc. Is distance a factor or do you always fly coach or first no matter what?
Only flew first class once it was my honeymoon. Can't do the extra money especially now with a big family. Though I am sure I would be alot more comfortable.

We fly first class when we fly to California to visit our daughter. We fly into Santa Barbara, and only a couple airlines fly into there from where we live. We have to make a stop each time and we fly American. By the time we pay for the extra leg room for my tall husband, for each leg of the flight,and extra luggage fees it is only a couple hundred more for first class. It is so worth it for us.

I'd rather save the £1000's it costs us to upgrade and go Economy, using the money that just makes the seat bigger and the food come on crockery, on things for ourselves and others whilst we're in Florida.

If I were a millionaire I'd go First for the privacy but alas I am not aha!

We've gotten spoiled in our old age. But then again, most of our flying is either transcontinental or transatlantic/pacific. So we're talking long flights. So, we're in 1st class almost all the time.

My DH of two years now is not a good flyer to say the least. I think flying up front certainly calms him down a bit, along with a cocktail. I love to fly & flying first class is new to me, since I've known him.
If I fly by myself I don't mind coach at all, & I love the savings!

Flights have become expensive cross country & in general compared to what they used to be.

I Love everyone's take on this

We've gotten spoiled in our old age. But then again, most of our flying is either transcontinental or transatlantic/pacific. So we're talking long flights. So, we're in 1st class almost all the time.
Must be a delight!

We live in CA and our family, friends, and WDW are all on the East Coast so we are flying across the country a lot and couldn't afford to fly first class as we go so often, we always fly Economy Plus though. We fly out of SFO and have gotten upgraded to first class a few times. My husband really likes it but I am not so enamored with the seats, I feel like my legs are just slightly too short so the seat hits me in a way that causes my legs and feet to go numb, which is especially annoying as we take red-eye flights so it makes it hard for me to sleep. We also use the AMEX Centurion Lounge at SFO so we load up on free food and drinks there so that we are all ready to fall asleep by the time we get to the plane. Last time we were upgraded, only I was upgraded, so I gave it to him and kept my Economy Plus seat. Would not fly internationally without the extra room though. I feel like flights to the East Coast out of SFO are more variable than they have been previously, I have gotten some incredible prices and some really expensive prices, whereas a few years ago all of our flights seemed to be more consistently priced.

We live in CA and our family, friends, and WDW are all on the East Coast so we are flying across the country a lot and couldn't afford to fly first class as we go so often, we always fly Economy Plus though. We fly out of SFO and have gotten upgraded to first class a few times. My husband really likes it but I am not so enamored with the seats, I feel like my legs are just slightly too short so the seat hits me in a way that causes my legs and feet to go numb, which is especially annoying as we take red-eye flights so it makes it hard for me to sleep. We also use the AMEX Centurion Lounge at SFO so we load up on free food and drinks there so that we are all ready to fall asleep by the time we get to the plane. Last time we were upgraded, only I was upgraded, so I gave it to him and kept my Economy Plus seat. Would not fly internationally without the extra room though. I feel like flights to the East Coast out of SFO are more variable than they have been previously, I have gotten some incredible prices and some really expensive prices, whereas a few years ago all of our flights seemed to be more consistently priced.
We fly out of SFO too & my family lives on East Coast & my son & grandchildren live in Austin so we are always flying... DH always resists at first out of fear

Sometimes. I got a companion ticket from Delta. It was good for 1st class for DH and I are flying that to CA this December. We've flown it to Disney a time or two but our flights are so short we don't usually bother. Depends on the flight prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter