Anyone flown with a mask yet?

AndreaDM

<font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<
We are flying to Florida from Ohio in 2 weeks and masks are required. The flight is just over 2 hours, but with boarding, etc. I’m assuming we’ll have them on for at least 3 hours. It’s me, 2 teens, an 8 & 5 year olds. My question is, which type would be the least constricting? We only have cloth homemade masks now, but I’m considering buying a box of disposable ones. I’m mostly worried about the 5 year old, he’s never flown and is a very anxious kid. I want him (and all of us) to be able to breath comfortably. The longest I’ve worn one was an hour in the grocery store and I couldn’t wait to take it off! Just checking to see if anyone has had first hand experience. Thanks!

I took both a disposable and a thin gaiter type on Southwest. Both were easy to breathe through, but the gaiter put pressure on the bridge of my nose so I switched to disposable. Of the 4 legs of the flight, Southwest made a point of going down the aisle offering masks and wipes, on the other three legs of a round trip, a passenger would of had to ask for one getting on.

We are flying in 6 days, I'll report back then. BWI-RSW
FYI, just have those simple/disposable? type blue & white masks.

another vote for disposable ones; I can't even breathe through the cloth ones when shopping! the disposable ones still get hot (to me), but are much more comfortable

I wore the disposable blue/white mask. Granted I didnt keep my mask on the whole time

My best advice is don't wait for the trip to wear masks. Start wearing them NOW. Wear them around your house. Get a few types and try them out. Wearing a mask is something that is going to take getting used to. You want to be able to wear it and not touch your face and adjust it. You want to wear it to the point where you don't think about it all the time. I'm not saying you won't notice it or it will become second nature, but the more you wear it, the better you will be able to ignore it and focus on other things.

I'm a nurse, and prior to the outbreak, I would wear a N95 for about 3 minutes once a year when I did my annual fit test (yes, there's a process to making sure a N95 fits because if it doesn't seal around your face, the fact that it can filter small particles doesn't mean a damn thing). I took care of a patient with TB a few times, but those cases have always been really rare.

Since being in a COVID hotspot, I can *mostly* comfortably wear an N95 for 10 hours without taking it off and without touching my face. Okay, it's not comfortable, but I'm used to it and it's bearable.

If you're not used to wearing masks, every mask is going to be constricting. I agree with PP that disposable masks feel lighter and less constricting, but that's not going to be enough if you and your family haven't acclimated to them.

So, my unsolicited advice is to have everyone put on masks and not take them off for half an hour. Maybe even do something during that time to distract yourselves so your minds have something to focus on other than the masks on your face. Then take them off, and do another short session a few hours later. Gradually increase the length of time you wear them. Is there a movie your family would like to see, one that would keep their interest? Spend a few bucks to rent it, and do movie night wearing masks to give them practice with a 2-hour wear time.

My other advice is to see if you can get masks with ties or over-the-head elastics. I personally find ear elastics to be irritating. If you only have make with ear elastics, get some sort of ear-savers. Sewing buttons to cloth headbands or baseball caps can be a great way to anchor the ear loops. I think it's a double whammy to have to get used to a mask on your face while something is digging into the backs of your ears.

We are flying to Florida from Ohio in 2 weeks and masks are required. The flight is just over 2 hours, but with boarding, etc. I’m assuming we’ll have them on for at least 3 hours. It’s me, 2 teens, an 8 & 5 year olds. My question is, which type would be the least constricting? We only have cloth homemade masks now, but I’m considering buying a box of disposable ones. I’m mostly worried about the 5 year old, he’s never flown and is a very anxious kid. I want him (and all of us) to be able to breath comfortably. The longest I’ve worn one was an hour in the grocery store and I couldn’t wait to take it off! Just checking to see if anyone has had first hand experience. Thanks!

I purchased a few of the neck gaiters. I find them less constricting than the over the ear masks. I had mine on for 6 hours straight yesterday, and I barely noticed it.

I agree with others, do not wait until the day of the flight to start figuring out what will work for you and your family. Also, try to not let your 5 year old see the masks make you anxious. Start that now! He will most likely follow your lead and you want him to see that wearing one is no big deal.

I took both a disposable and a thin gaiter type on Southwest. Both were easy to breathe through, but the gaiter put pressure on the bridge of my nose so I switched to disposable. Of the 4 legs of the flight, Southwest made a point of going down the aisle offering masks and wipes, on the other three legs of a round trip, a passenger would of had to ask for one getting on.

I have found that not all brands of gaiters fit the same. My Mission brand one is a bit looser than one (sun something) I purchased off of Amazon.

If the little one is anxious try putting a drop of lavender oil inside the mask this should calm him down. I would try the oil in the mask prior to the trip to see how he reacts to it. I would put the drop on a cotton cosmetic square that way it will fit inside the mask and if it gets to be to strong for him you could remove it.

Also make sure to buy child size mask. A reg one will be too big and sloppy on them. Plus don't forget you will have to wear them at all times at Disney except for eat and swimming. :(

Also make sure to buy child size mask. A reg one will be too big and sloppy on them. Plus don't forget you will have to wear them at all times at Disney except for eat and swimming. :(
Getting the right size is important. Since OP is going in 2 weeks, the chances are good it's not a Disney trip this time.

I've flown recently.
Delta airlines from Milwaukee, thru Atlanta to Pensacola.
Southwest airlines from New Orleans, thru Nashville to Milwaukee.

We were not required to wear masks while inside the airport, although many did. People spread out while waiting for flights, since the airports were basically dead.

Both airlines announced several times at the gate that masks would be required to board, and they had some available if needed.

Southwest had no food or beverage service. Not even water. But they announced ahead of boarding that purchased food/drinks could be brought onto the plane.

Delta offered a pre-packaged bag. It included a small water, Cheez-Its, a cookie, a napkin and and a single use hand sanitizer.

So while both airlines enforced masks for boarding, the rest was "loose"...
You could lower the mask to eat and drink. Some did this very quickly, while others took a good amount of time. Nothing was said if you took a long time.

All 4 flights had a very low passenger count. No middle seats used, and many rows completely vacant. One flight had less than 25 people.

I wore the paper mask when required. It seemed fairly breathable.
Good luck!

Yep, the only Disney we’ll be doing is one evening to Disney Springs for dinner.

48 hour turn around trip across the country - PHX to BOS and back. Masks were worn from the second we got out of the car at the airport until we were at my parent's house in Massachusetts. Massachusetts requires masks in public. We wore cloth masks and it wasn't the end of the world.

Massachusetts requires masks in public.

Not quite true, they are not required all the time in public. They are only required in public when social distancing is not possible. They are required to be worn in any business that the public has access as well as public transportation. A few towns/cities in MA (Somerville, Cambridge, and Lawrence) do require them outside. Lawrence has gone so far as to threaten a $300 fine if you are caught without a mask outside.

Flew AA Dallas to Chicago and back.
AA provided a small cookie and bottle water in small bag on both flights.
Masks required to board...everyone was well behaved, patient.
O’Hare normally full, busy, chaotic....was empty. Things have changed the last few weeks though.
202D45AE-3624-42D8-BC2D-D489A850462A.jpeg
It was pleasant experience.
My mask stayed on from when I got to airport to when I left airport.
The aircraft, airport felt and smelled clean. Extremely bizarre to be in a airport that’s hustling and busting all the time, to have very few people at the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!