Anyone familiar with Lake George, NY? Need hotel advice...

MegaDisney

Mouseketeer
We're looking to visit Lake George, NY over the 4th of July holiday, and am wondering if any of the good folks here have any recommendations for accomodations? It will be me, DH and our infant son, who will be 5 months old by then. I am familiar with the Lake George area, having vacationed there several years in a row growing up, but we never stayed in the Village area, so don't know much about the hotels there. I've checked out a few websites, but it's difficult to get a feel for just how clean a place is. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Ideally, we'd love to be within walking distance of the Village itself.

Thanks in advance!!

Meg:D

Lake George is about a half-hour to 40 minutes away from our summer place in the Adirondacks..

Not to be a downer, but 4th of July weekend will be horrendous there! A very loud, disorderly bunch - to say the least.. I think you would be very hard pressed to find a hotel/motel within walking distance of the village where your baby could get any sleep at all and if you go further north or south of the village you will NOT be able to drive through the traffic that particular weekend.. If you're open to other suggestions, perhaps you could go a bit further up the lake - to Bolton Landing.. It's a nice little village that draws less of the rowdy crowd, but on the other hand, would be more expensive..

Most of the hotel/motels in Lake George are quite old and the kids tend to trash them, so if I were going to stay in the village I think I would go with the Fort William Henry.. It's a notch above the rest in my opinion..

Hope this helps.. :)

Another vote for Fort William Henry. Although, if money is no object, then definitely the Sagamore Resort.

The Sagamore is one of the nicest in the area, but not very close to town.

Also look into the Roaring Brook Ranch out towards Lake Luzerne. It's about the same distance from downtown Lake George.

If you're a camper, look into the Lake George RV Park. It's a little south of Lake George.

Unfortunately, anything within walking distance of the village is going to be noisy, to some extent, but the places on the outskirts can be really nice.

The Georgian!!! I've been going to Lake George every summer since I've been born, and I have tried MANY hotels over the year.

Stayed at the Sagamore. It is absolutely amazing, and amazingly expensive. Plus I believe it's in Diamond Head (?) which is quite a hike from town.

The Georgian is within walking distance from town, is clean, and is priced reasonably. You can also get discount tickets to the Great Escape through the main office. We've stayed there the last four summers.

I grew up in the lake George area. I've never stayed at the hotels in the village, so I can't give you a first hand account. Heres a web site with links to most of the hotels www.lakegeorge.com. However, as others have said, you may want to consider staying a little further outside the village. Theres a little lake called Glen Lake just south of Lake George. It's almost entirely residential with the exception being one Inn and one restaurant. www.glenmoorelodge.com will bring you to the Inn. It's a little rustic, but very clean and charming. My grandmother owns a home a couple doors down. I literally spent (and still spend) every summer there. Glen Lake is sooo much more quiet and relaxing than Lake George. It's also very centrally located. It's less than a mile from both the outlet shops and The Great Escape (local six flags amusement park). I would say it's only about five miles to Lake George village. Another thing to consider is that the village didn't have any fireworks last fourth of July. They said that the roads couldn't handle the extra traffic and that authorities couldn't handle crowd control so they cancelled them. I would assume the same would hold true this year. There were several other fireworks displays in surrounding communities. The whole area is a great place to live and visit. I just personally wouldn't want to be right in the village. I hope you have a great time and find a place to stay thats right for you and your family.

I love going to Lake George for Labor Day weekend (can be cool though). July 4th is usually crazy there. We camp at the state park which is walking distance to the village when we go. It is a great location and only about $16 a night!!

My SIL/BIL are going to a wedding July 4th at the Sagamore and for a basic room it is going to cost them about $300/night!!!

I would definately check out Fort William Henry. The location is great and I don't think it is *that* expensive. It may already be booked for that weekend though, so call soon!!

Have Fun!!

the Fort William Henry (We gre up and used to spend a couple of weeks every year here - we also stayed there a couple of years ago for the 4th) or the Georgian. HOWEVER - like C. Ann said above - the area is very very crowded that week. We actually had a horrible time 2 years ago. We stayed at the FWH - and it's so centrally located that it was hard to get around, people who were not guests of the hotel were using the pools and the mgmt couldn't handle the roudy crowds. The Village was just insane. The Georgian (sp) was a bit up the road but would still be crowded. Bolton would be a better bet. The Sagamore is awesome!

Good Luck!

We used to joke about the Adirondacks having just two seasons: Winter and Fourth of July. Of course, that's an exageration, almost, but summer nights can get get downright cold. Pack accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter