• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone ever made tomato pie?

nicurn

<font color=red>"dark side" scrapper <br><font col
was reading the washington post today and in the food section is a recipe for tomato pie, it sounds really yummy! anyone ever make a tomato pie before? just curious. maggie

made it tonight and it ROCKED! it was really yummy! maggie

Well, I made a variation of the newspaper recipe using what I had in the refrigerator & Bisquick recipe for cheeseburger pie. I greased a small rectangular pan & layered red & yellow (less acid) tomatoes from my garden on the bottom. I fried some hard salami (I prefer it to Genoa especially if I want crispy), some sweet onion & some yellow pepper & put them on top of the tomatoes. I had a frozen pizza kit package of mozzarella cheese that I spread as the next layer. Then I mixed together about 1/2 cup bisquick, some milk (didn't measure as I wanted to use it up) & the four eggs I had left (I need to go grocery shopping in the morning!). Actually I only used one whole egg & three egg whites. I poured this over the layered stuff & grated cheddar cheese on top. I baked it in my toaster oven until it was done. I didn't want to heat up the big oven. It came out well; my husband & I both enjoyed it. This is what we call in our house a "some-er" meal" - some of this & some of that!

Forgot to mention I also added chopped baby spinach as a layer in my version of tomato pie. I'm eating my leftovers for breakfast!

Thanks so much for posting this. I printed it out to try sometime.

Hmmm, seems to me that Martha Stewart had a great recipe for this several years ago and it had swiss cheese in the pastry. It was very nice.

My DM uses Paula Deen's recipe. Instead of regular pie crust she uses crushed Ritz crackers and butter. It's GOOD!

4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.

Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter