Anyone ever have to give a speech that made you cry?!

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
I'm giving my 2nd speech for our effective speaking class today and I can't seem to get through the $%#@ thing without breaking down (BAD) towards the end!! It's too late to change the topic... what do I do?! :confused3

Well, I was one of 3 lucky (or should I say unlucky :blush: ) people who had to give a speech at my high school graduation. In front of, oh... about eleven thousand people. Yep, 11,000. I was already sad about graduating and leaving my friends, so think about trying to give a speech in that situation. Add that to the fact that I've always hated public speaking. That was not fun. Not in the least. :rolleyes: I too got choked up at a part, but what I did was take a lot of deep breaths and picked a random face out in the crowd way in the back. I couldn't see who they were, so it was like I was just talking to air. Calmed me right down (that and If I got upset, I would've been up there thaT much longer...). So, I would suggest doing something similar or looking up at the back wall when you speak.

One psych. professor I had last year told us to repeat any presentations we had that made us nervous or were emotional topics over and over again until you can get through it without getting upset. Kind of the same thing as if you would be giving a eulogy-- if you read something 5 million times beforehand, it kind of (in theory) dulls the effect the words have on you. Hope this is helpful; good luck!

ETA: I just noticed your speech was today, but maybe this'll help you next time.

Well - I got through it... my professor on the other hand, needed to compose herself afterwards before class could go on. I suppose that's a compliment in a way, although I really did fell pretty bad about it at the time.

Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter