Anyone else prefer the 1 bedroom over the studio?

We are 2 people, and go for about 13 days (twice a year). The 1 bedroom makes us feel like we are relaxing in a vacation villa, versus sitting in a hotel room. We don't really cook, but use the full fridge & freezer. Hanging/putting away our clothes & stuff, popping clothes in the washer/dryer at will, and enjoying a good night's sleep without hallway noise all make the extra points absolutely worth it.

Last edited:
I do a lot of business travel spending many nights in hotel rooms. When I’m on vacation I need to feel like I’m at a home away from home. The 1 BR villa does that. For us, definitely worth the points.

Reading this has been so interesting. We have yet to stay in a one bedroom. We are newish DVC owners with a limited number of points that we want to maximize obviously since we are new. I suspect that after some time we might enjoy the extra space and go less often but stay in the one bedrooms.
At this point, we love eating out at Disney restaurants, so the need or want to cook is nil. As well, I don't think I want to do laundry while on vacation. SOOOOO,I think the only real draw would be the extra space and bigger bed.
So far, our family jams into the studios with big smiles on our faces, drops our stuff and runs to the parks.... come back at the end of the night and plunk, exhausted into bed. No need for more than a bed and a shower.

Those of us who live in tiny ranch style houses salute the DVC one+ bd villas! Personally, we just don't want to cram people into every inch of a studio when that's what we feel we're doing at home! No fun. So we suck it up point-wise and enjoy luxurious space at WDW! :love:
"We" being my family, not the collective "we".

Those of us who live in tiny ranch style houses salute the DVC one+ bd villas! Personally, we just don't want to cram people into every inch of a studio when that's what we feel we're doing at home! No fun. So we suck it up point-wise and enjoy luxurious space at WDW! :love:
And those of us accustomed to having a lot of space at home aren’t fond of cramming into a studio for more than a few nights, either!

I grew up in a family of 8. Our only vacations were taken in a 16’ travel trailer. You want to talk about being crammed in? I still have nightmares! My bedroom is bigger than that trailer was!

Reading this has been so interesting. We have yet to stay in a one bedroom. We are newish DVC owners with a limited number of points that we want to maximize obviously since we are new. I suspect that after some time we might enjoy the extra space and go less often but stay in the one bedrooms.
At this point, we love eating out at Disney restaurants, so the need or want to cook is nil. As well, I don't think I want to do laundry while on vacation. SOOOOO,I think the only real draw would be the extra space and bigger bed.
So far, our family jams into the studios with big smiles on our faces, drops our stuff and runs to the parks.... come back at the end of the night and plunk, exhausted into bed. No need for more than a bed and a shower.

I totally get that! When we first purchased DVC (many years ago), we were the same way. However, once we had a taste of the one bedroom and the convenience of so much, it was hard to go back. Then once the airline companies made it more costly to travel with additional luggage, we found the ability to do laundry on vacation meant we could pack less luggage for longer trips and just do a load of laundry (if that makes sense...). So having the washer/dryer in the room is awesome. We have been fortunate enough to be spoiled by the points we have and enjoy the space.

We definitely felt drawn toward DVC because of the 1,2,3 bedroom options. We are a family of 3, but we love the laundry and full kitchen. I love to make cookies in the oven and my husband does pancakes for breakfast. It really makes us feel like we are in our "home" and that's the distinction between our DVC vacations and any other time we stay at a hotel. Also this sounds weird typed out - but I love doing laundry right before we pack up and leave - so we go home with clean clothes. Plus, between the pool and beach time this most recent trip (HHI) we kept that washer/dryer busy.
Finally, I dont even know if my DH would stay in a studio at this point. He's only known 1 bedroom DVC life. I'm going to try to get him into a studio at OKW because they're bigger - but we shall see.

Forgot to mention that once my kids got to tween years we needed a 2BR for the 2nd bathroom...can also do the 1BR that have 2 bathrooms like AKV-Kidani or BLT. We were at BLT in MArch with twin DDs-20 and they slept in living room but they had their own bathroom which was HUGE. When we do regular hotel stays with them (they played travel ball so just 2 years ago we were spending weekends in regular hotel rooms) and all 4 of us have to share 1 bathroom....:scared1: . In 2011 was our first soiree into the 2BR when DS was 14 and DDs were 12 and not only was the 2nd bathroom nice but having DDs in the 2nd bedroom and DS on sofabed in living room helped keep sibling bickering at a minimum.

been members since 2002 and used studios. BUT now we are just doing 1 bedrooms

The great thing is the flexibility. There are years when 2 of my daughters and their families want to go. Each has a preference as to sharing say a 1 bedroom or wanting the privacy of a 2 bedroom. Than there are years when it is just the 2 of us and if we manage smartly can go 3 times with 2 trips being Studios and 1 trip a 1 bedroom. My DW prefers the 1 bedroom due to convenience of the W/D. While we do not cook main meals, breakfast is usually in the 1 Bedroom kitchen. Wish I could afford about 500 more points -LOL.

Exactly. The 1BRs are double the cost so I stick with studios.
This is us as well. While I'm sure we would "prefer" a 1BR, our stronger preference is to stay for (literally) twice as long.

Our family of 4 gets along just fine in cruise cabins, and every single studio option feels quite spacious compared to those.

We also have no desire to "cook" on vacation, except for quick/easy breakfast (i.e. cereal), so the kitchen is no matter. A W/D would be nice, but again, not worth cutting our stay by half.

But if we had unlimited points? 1BR every single time.

We also have no desire to "cook" on vacation, except for quick/easy breakfast (i.e. cereal), so the kitchen is no matter. A W/D would be nice, but again, not worth cutting our stay by half.

I know i'm in the minority, but one of my favorite parts of vacation is planning the meals - how many times we eat out and how many meals we eat in and I genuinely love to cook meals on vacation. During a 7 night stay, we will do at a minimum 5 breakfasts and 3-4 dinners in the room. If I didn't want to do any cooking - we would probably be in a studio, point usage aside, I do feel like the kitchen is the tipping point for me.

I do a lot of business travel spending many nights in hotel rooms. When I’m on vacation I need to feel like I’m at a home away from home. The 1 BR villa does that. For us, definitely worth the points.

I had forgotten that this was a big reason for DH as well (before he retired). Ah, yes-the "joys" of business travel! At least he spent enough time on airplanes to qualify for free baggage, not have to pay the $25.

We're such one bedroom devotees that we'll even take the shorter stays in a one bedroom over the longer stay in a studio. That's been the main reason for our add-ons.

We almost always book 1 bedrooms. With two small kids having space for them to unwind and do their thing in the living room just makes everything so much easier.

I LOVE the 1br but with our small contract we can only afford the studios, which are still very nice and we enjoy them immensely.

I'm an owner at boardwalk. I love the idea of more space in a one bedroom unit, but since it only has 2 sleep surfaces I will be sticking to the studio for now.

Years ago when just the 2 of us could get away for a 4-5 nigth trip without the kids we would get a studio. Now we spend more resort time vs park time. We now usually get a 1 BR but more often we have kids and grand kids along so we end up with a 2 BR or GV. But we still get the 1 BR for just the 2 of us. To us it's not a vacation if we have to sit in one little room for a week to 10 days. We use the kitchen, and the laundry and like having the ice maker in the real size fridge.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter