Anyone else prefer the 1 bedroom over the studio?

1-Bedrooms are great and all things being equal, who wouldn't prefer one over a studio. But we travel multiple times a year and this year we have had (or will have):
1) Studio at the Polynesian
2) 2-BR at CCV
3) Studio at BLT
4) 2-BR at Aulani
5) Studio at Aulani

If those studios were changed to 1-BRs, we would have to change up some of the other plans. So we gladly use studios when the situation calls for it and use the larger room sizes as needed.

We first bought in 2005. We added on several times and had 300 points at SSR. We stayed exclusively in 2 bedrooms with our family of 5.
Kids grew up, we sold our points...essentially broke even on them so had multiple stays on our dues. We took a few adult trips and stayed at the Poly on cash...we crunched the numbers and bought back into the Poly for 130 points...and paid $157...
Do I regret selling my SSR points only to buy back in a year later? Naaah. We are very happy in the studios at the Poly, love the location and the general feel of the resort. Don’t miss the 2 bedrooms at all since it is just the two of us now. I also appreciate only paying dues on 130 points vs 300.

We first bought in 2005. We added on several times and had 300 points at SSR. We stayed exclusively in 2 bedrooms with our family of 5.
Kids grew up, we sold our points...essentially broke even on them so had multiple stays on our dues. We took a few adult trips and stayed at the Poly on cash...we crunched the numbers and bought back into the Poly for 130 points...and paid $157...
Do I regret selling my SSR points only to buy back in a year later? Naaah. We are very happy in the studios at the Poly, love the location and the general feel of the resort. Don’t miss the 2 bedrooms at all since it is just the two of us now. I also appreciate only paying dues on 130 points vs 300.
If DH and I, also empty nest, were to do studios only I would want Poly. They are more than a studio IMO. Almost like a 1BR just without a wall and door to the bedroom. Really love the layout and space of those.

Does anyone like a studio over a 1 BR???
I've never tried a one bedroom yet, so at this point yes, as we still spend most time out in the parks... eat in the parks, play in the parks open to close, so really only need a place to sleep and shower. I like spending less points.
That may change in the future. We already see that our Disney vacation activities will change as our children are adults and we may spend more time hanging out at the resort. We are newish DVC members and spent years of travelling to Disney in standard rooms Value to Deluxe, so Studios seem similar to what we are used to.
We are planning on booking a one bedroom for our daughter's upcoming wedding... so that may change my opinion.

The One Bedrooms are amazing and very spacious....and once you stay in one, it's hard to go back to a Studio.
I think people prefer the Studios to save on points, but if all things were equal and the point costs were the same for a Studio or 1 Bedroom....the 1 Bedroom would be the first choice for nearly everyone. With the One Bedroom, you basically get double the size accommodations, privacy between the living room and bedroom, a jacuzzi tub, a washer and drier, a full kitchen, a spacious dining area and living room, King size bed....what's not to love. We are a family of 3 (soon to be 4, in two weeks) and I would stay in a 1 bedroom every time if I had the points to do so. I do mix it up and use both size accommodations depending on the occasion.

It depends on who, how many and how long we are staying. If just 2 heading down, usually me and one dd, then studio. If 2a and 2c staying 1 bdrm. But for extended stays like one planned for march 2020. 1st couple of days we have a studio at BLT, then move to 1 bdrm at BWV. Prefer ending with 1bdrm then the other way around. Plus wife likes having all clean clothes packed away at the end of the trip then when we get home.

DH and I are thoroughly spoiled by the full kitchen and laundry in the 1 bedroom. We enjoy short stays in new resorts e.g. 3 nights in CCV studio last January but can hardly wait to get to our 1 bedroom so we can wash clothes and don’t have to get dressed to eat breakfast!

I’m a resort snot, according to my DH, and that includes a 1 bedroom vs a studio. We were blessed to have purchased several hundred points 14 years ago. At first we stayed in studios to maximize and bank points. Now with a 6 and 3 year old we enjoy our space. We did a trip in May exclusively in a studio at BLT. Never again. I don’t care that we can walk to MK. I missed the kitchen and the W/D. We will be back in October and I just gave up a 1BR at BLT for a 2BR at OKW. Space, it’s all about space.

We use both! For a park intensive trip with the dining plan we stay in a studio, but we have stayed in one bedrooms enough to be spoiled by them. We stayed at a Jambo house one bedroom concierge level room and my husband loved it! I was surprised how much he loved the lounge. And our teen aged kids still each had their own bed (boy and girl) in the living room since it had the extra bed.

The best use of points for us in a one bedroom was at Aulani. When we went to Aulani it was just my DH and I, and we mostly stayed at the resort. Since dining out is so expensive there we did cook a lot in the room, and mix up our own cocktails. It was great to have the dryer for wet bathing suits too. I don't regret spending the extra points there. And it is such a beautiful resort!

I'm also one who likes to pack light and do laundry while on vacation. When we stayed at the Poly studios, we still did laundry and it wasn't as convenient as having a unit in the room. But if we only have enough points for a studio then we still enjoy it.

It is just my husband and I when we stay, though we would still prefer a 1 bedroom. We usually book Studio's just so we can stretch the smaller number of points that we own, though if we have the opportunity, even for our short stays the 1 bedroom's are ideal and a whole different feel.

It's usually just me, DH and my lovely teenage son (17)
Now that my kids are grown I really appreciate the separate sleeping areas. I've stayed in a studio with my adult daughter, and it was okay, but the separation would have been nice. Next February with DS 25, I booked 2 studios (1 standard 1 BWV), as I was 1 point short for a Boardwalk View 1B. I think it's worth it. If I'm just staying myself I book a studio.

My wife and I love the additional space of a 1 bedroom. Makes it feel less like a regular hotel room.

We have to stay in 1 bedrooms as my wife needs a closed door room due to her disabilities (bad migraines and light sensitivity from injury) plus the quiet while she rests during the day. That limits where we can stay (at Disney or elsewhere) and why DVC made sense for us. I have to say, the 1 bedrooms I've been in at WDW are great and we're happy to continue to stay there (and we bought points to do so). If we come more often, we're looking at the Bonnet creek hotels that have 1 bedroom suites as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter