Anyone else move their trips around a lot?

quandrea

DIS Veteran
Seems every time I book, I end up modifying. Just cancelled and rebooked what was a one night Grand Floridian studio and four night one bedroom standard at BWV for August. Air was too high. Rebooked for a few days earlier. Now in a one bedroom at Kidani. Not quite as pumped about the hotel, but I’ll save money on food with the kitchen and Air was five hundred less.

Overall, considering all trips booked throughout the year; not limited to DVC: Yes, I modify or cancel roughly half of our travel reservations. That said, we often have something planned every few weeks ... so there are a lot of things booked on speculation.

I don't tend to move my trips around a lot, but for DVC I've been speculatively booking and canceling later since it can be hard to book rooms in the fall/early December when we typically go.

I change ours around quite a bit. Especially when I'm booking far in advance for busy DVC times. I will book the dates when I think we will go, and as the time gets closer and I know more solid dates, I'll move things around as best as I can.

I change ours around quite a bit. Especially when I'm booking far in advance for busy DVC times. I will book the dates when I think we will go, and as the time gets closer and I know more solid dates, I'll move things around as best as I can.
As best as I can is key here. For my reservation we are only four months out. Dining reservations are useless now and resort reservations not quite as good. However, I’m glad with how it worked out. Ultimately, getting good value for air is more important than which hotel I lay my head. Pros and cons to every resort. I’ll miss walking to Epcot and HS but, ah well.

I sure let my birthday dates go for a couple nights at the AKL in a Club Level studio later in June. :rolleyes: I could go again on my birthday, but doubt I'll ever get the Club Level studios again.

Seems like something is always changing, causing vacation modifications.

:earsboy: Bill

Seems every time I book, I end up modifying. Just cancelled and rebooked what was a one night Grand Floridian studio and four night one bedroom standard at BWV for August. Air was too high. Rebooked for a few days earlier. Now in a one bedroom at Kidani. Not quite as pumped about the hotel, but I’ll save money on food with the kitchen and Air was five hundred less.
This is exactly what happened to us this year for August. I made reservations 11 months out, but moved our vacation a few days earlier to save over $400 in air flight. We couldn’t get the days at GFV. We had to book a split stay between BWV and GFV. I’m not a fan of switching places. I kept stalking and finally got the days and switched them to GFV.

This is exactly what happened to us this year for August. I made reservations 11 months out, but moved our vacation a few days earlier to save over $400 in air flight. We couldn’t get the days at GFV. We had to book a split stay between BWV and GFV. I’m not a fan of switching places. I kept stalking and finally got the days and switched them to GFV.
That turned out well. I’ll or stalk the site to see if there is any manoeuvring I can do. More modifications!

Yep! Often things come up that means we need to change our trip in some way.

MS always seems shocked by the changes when the account pulls up but seems like we're not alone.

That turned out well. I’ll or stalk the site to see if there is any manoeuvring I can do. More modifications!
I was a nervous wreck though....I was afraid if I didn’t do it fast enough, I would lose both reservations.

I change reservations probably about 50% of the time. Normally it's because I'm changing the resort though. I'll book right at 11 months and then change or add at 7 months. Most recently we had 5 nights book at BWV and no matter when I was checking flights the prices were ridiculous. So I checked the best dates for pricing around that time, cancelled 2 of the nights at the beginning of our trip and added on 3 extra nights at the end at SSR. Sad that we won't get to be at BWV the whole time because we love it there, but we're saving around $600 on airfare AND we're staying for longer.

Sometimes the modifications work out for the best!

This is a support group thread I didn't know I needed. I'm new to DVC and was living in shame, fearful that I would get a letter revoking my booking privileges considering how many times I've booked, cancelled, rebooked, moved, added nights, removed nights, only to cancel again. It's good to learn there are others like me out there.

I have a library of those welcome booklets the mouse has sent me for each reservation (all dead on arrival) that would put the Beast to shame.

I do not move reservations much, but I often add a stay, recently because of good GTY prices on DCL. Thank you whomever let go of a night at the Poly in May! For once I am not staying at SSR for one of these trips. Usually I have to book a one bedroom to boot!

We rarely move ours, but that’s because our group is always 8 to 12 people - once we have dates that suit everyone’s schedule, that’s pretty much it! Too hard to coordinate an adjustment.

We did move our dates for the first time for our next trip due to some scheduling changes but this is not the norm for us.

We rarely move our dates around unless the 7 month mark is involved and we are either changing resorts or changing a room type and using one time use points.

For many years we did not ever cancel or modify. But now that our 3 kids are in college and we also go with inlaws a lot, I find we are changing things often.

We rarely move our dates around unless the 7 month mark is involved and we are either changing resorts or changing a room type and using one time use points.
Same for us, except we have only used OTUP once since they first became available.

Good thing, because we mostly travel in October and December. Not much wiggle room around those reservations!

We rarely move ours around, although we will on occasion add a night to the beginning or end, not necessarily at the same resort though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter