Anyone else like me - parking fee

Thanks Sue. We've never used the scan your room key, for some reason we always go to the guard (maybe for the personal interaction??). But that's when we are driving. Most of the time we have been using Disney transportation. :-). I haven't been offsite for about 12 years---do day guests/offsite guests get magic bands?

Thanks Sue. We've never used the scan your room key, for some reason we always go to the guard (maybe for the personal interaction??). But that's when we are driving. Most of the time we have been using Disney transportation. :-). I haven't been offsite for about 12 years---do day guests/offsite guests get magic bands?
I guess I need to explain better.
The guard has a reader and reads your Magicband/ key card. At least that’s most of the time. The rest of the time, they looked at ID.

Offsite guests can use a Magicband if they have one from a previous stay or they can buy one. It would only have their park passes on it.

We use a handicap Hang tag as well. It really doesn't go into much detail. Hopefully someone will be able to find out more information.

I note that the Disney site doesn't specify that handicapped parking will be free, just that it is available. Also, nothing about free valet for disabled.

This new parking fee will simply drive us to something that we've been leaning towards anyway...not renting a car, and just using Uber or Minnie Vans to get to dinner reservations, etc.

I received some clarification from Disney via email today. She implied parking was always free for those disabled at the theme parks. That was news to us! Regarding overnight parking fees at the Disney Resorts she said "At this time, Resort parking will be complimentary for the guests that have a valid disabled parking permit for their car. For more information, please speak with a Cast Member at the resort you are staying in."

I received some clarification from Disney via email today. She implied parking was always free for those disabled at the theme parks. That was news to us! Regarding overnight parking fees at the Disney Resorts she said "At this time, Resort parking will be complimentary for the guests that have a valid disabled parking permit for their car. For more information, please speak with a Cast Member at the resort you are staying in."

i wasn't aware that it was free at the parks. Valet parking at the resorts was free for those with a disabled parking permit. i've used it many times.

i wasn't aware that it was free at the parks. Valet parking at the resorts was free for those with a disabled parking permit. i've used it many times.

Unless I misunderstood the email. I had to clarify the resort parking fee but never had her clarify the theme park parking since that's not an issue for us. Here is what she said:

"As has always been the case, Guests with disabilities will receive complimentary overnight self-parking and complimentary Valet parking at Resort hotels where that service is offered. As a Walt Disney World Resort Guest, you will also continue to receive complimentary parking at any of our Theme Parks."

Unless I misunderstood the email. I had to clarify the resort parking fee but never had her clarify the theme park parking since that's not an issue for us. Here is what she said:

"As has always been the case, Guests with disabilities will receive complimentary overnight self-parking and complimentary Valet parking at Resort hotels where that service is offered. As a Walt Disney World Resort Guest, you will also continue to receive complimentary parking at any of our Theme Parks."

Huh? We have been to the parks many times with our disabled permit displayed on our rear view mirror and have always been charged to park at the theme parks. They collect our money and tell us to follow the blue line to disabled parking.

Every onsite guest does.

Yes.
I think that is the misunderstanding - every on-site Guest has free parking at the theme parks.

Just when I thought I knew everything...:P I honestly thought I only had free parking because I was a passholder. Not that I have ever once used it, we always use Disney's transportation. At renewal time, I always list free parking on the list of advantages, in my head, to justify renewal. Since we also never stay off property, looks like I don't get to use that excuse anymore. I always think maybe we will be down that way for something else and maybe want to hit up a park. I'm sure I'll still renew, but I have to quit lying to myself now. :smooth:

it is being widely reported that Disney will start charging an overnight parking fee at all resorts. I use a scooter. I also have an anxiety disorder. We've gone to Disney well over 15 times. 3/4 of those times I've used s scooter (long term health issues - invisible). The first few times we used the bus system. There always seemed to be a problem. Disney driver "didn't see me" or more likely rude guests made snide remarks which sent my anxiety through the roof. So we sucked it up and rented an SUV (had to be big enough to hold the scooter parts). Now they are saying - after renting the car at $500 a trip (we are traveling from Cali so we do longer trips - with a day of traveling each way short trips don't make sense) we will also have to shell out between $150 to $200 for parking. It's getting harder to be comfortably disabled in WDW[/QUO

DVC owners and those renting points do not get charged when staying at DVC resorts.

DVC owners and those renting points do not get charged when staying at DVC resorts.

As a DVC owner, the information I have seen has said owners will not get charged the parking fee.
I have not seen anything indicating that would extend to people renting points. None of the other benefits (discounts, special park access for DVC members, etc) apply to renters.

When we were at OKW last month, there did't seem to be any provisions for charging for parking. That makes me wonder if anyone staying at a DVC resort parks for free, whether their renting, own points, or are paying cash. However, I wonder if the "half DVC/half cash" resorts like BCV, GFV, BLT, etc. have different rules. If so, what a mess!

I think the roll-out of the parking fees has been very hard to judge. It seems most reports on the Resorts Forum are from people who were not charged. But at this point (less than 3 months after the fee was initiated), I think the vast majority of guests made their reservations before March 21st and are therefore "grandfathered."

Reports have been that those renting points are not charged the parking fee, but I really think it's too soon to tell, especially for DVC rentals. As I understand it is extremely hard to get last-minute reservations through DVC, so the guests who have "rented" points more than likely did so well before March 21st.

Enjoy your vacation!

Has anyone had any real world experience with resort parking with a disabled placard since the parking charges were implemented? I've seen as many yeas as nays, and Disney's website doesn't specify (that I could find.)
We're going in early Feb. & I told my wife we wouldn't have to pay for parking. If that's not the case I want to break the news to her now and get the I told you so's over with...

we’ve had no problems. we stayed at GF and valet parked with our tag and no charge. same thing at Poly. both stays booked after the March date. just showed our tag or our plate and done.

Just came home from the Beach Club and we had our tag hanging on the mirror prior to approaching the guard. No parking charges were on the bill and we booked this after March 21

Has anyone had any real world experience with resort parking with a disabled placard since the parking charges were implemented? I've seen as many yeas as nays, and Disney's website doesn't specify (that I could find.)
We're going in early Feb. & I told my wife we wouldn't have to pay for parking. If that's not the case I want to break the news to her now and get the I told you so's over with...

According to this post in a thread on the Resorts Forum, a guest received an email from WDW specifying complimentary self-park at all resorts if you have an H/A hangtag or plate.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/resort-parking-fees-for-disabled.3690452/#post-59414203

Enjoy your vacation!

it is being widely reported that Disney will start charging an overnight parking fee at all resorts. I use a scooter. I also have an anxiety disorder. We've gone to Disney well over 15 times. 3/4 of those times I've used s scooter (long term health issues - invisible). The first few times we used the bus system. There always seemed to be a problem. Disney driver "didn't see me" or more likely rude guests made snide remarks which sent my anxiety through the roof. So we sucked it up and rented an SUV (had to be big enough to hold the scooter parts). Now they are saying - after renting the car at $500 a trip (we are traveling from Cali so we do longer trips - with a day of traveling each way short trips don't make sense) we will also have to shell out between $150 to $200 for parking. It's getting harder to be comfortably disabled in WDW
If you have a disabled placard you won't get charged a fee. Also if you are a DVC member staying on points at any resort or even cash at DVC resorts you won't get charged parking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!