Anyone else have Plantar Fasciitis? What shoes do you wear to DL? Tips?

You'll get a thousand recommendations from everyone with plantar fasciitis, but ultimately, there is no one right shoe.

For me, I honestly prefer my Skechers GoWalks to just about everything else. They're super comfortable and get me through the day. If my pain is higher than normal, I'll wear them with an aircast airheel on the foot that's got the problem.

Other good options are Saucony Triumph and FitFlop brand (especially for their basic flip flop). I've also had some success with Chaco sandals.

I haven't had a plantar faciitis flare up for probably 10 years. I was ready to have surgery and my OB doc (obviously not the orthopedic surgeon) told me to ice my arch and stretch my calves each night. Within a month it was gone and IT HAS NEVER RETURNED. This is what I did:

1. take a bare ice cube and rub it HARD on the arch of my foot. I mean really dig into it.
2. each night before I go to bed I stand on the bottom step and hang my heels off the step to stretch my calves.

I tried both Brooks and New Balance and Superfeet insoles. New Balance and the insoles made my feet worse. The Brooks never really fit correctly. I've worn Birkenstocks for 30 years and that is what I wear 99% of the time. For Disneyland I can't wear them every day. My feet need a change. I alternate my Birks with Keen sandals and last time got a pair Ryka sneaker (but am not sold on them). Switching between my Birks and Keens seems to do the trick. I also take Ibuprofen 3 times a day, and each night at the hotel soak my feet in ice and then Epsom salt.

And I NEVER go barefoot. EVER. Birks on my feet at all times.

I had chronic PF for years. Lots of folks here have made lots of good suggestions so I'll throw in my two cents as well.

1. You need the proper shoes for you, not me or anyone else. You need to go to a shoe store specifically for runners and get the proper shoe for your gait. The shoe probably needs to have a higher heel than what you are wearing now. It needs to have great cushion but be flexible. Also it needs to have the proper support for your foot and most importantly, the proper amount of arch support for your foot.

Ibuprofen is very helpful in getting you through the day. I also used tumeric. You need to stretch your feet before you get out of bed in the morning. This is VERY important!!!!!! Go on YouTube and you will find some very high quality videos that will teach you the proper methods of stretching for PF while you are still in the bed in the morning. And you should never, ever walk around without shoes on. This is also extremely important.

What helped me out a lot were SOLE brand inserts specifically for PF. I also got their flip flops with arch support and they have also been very helpful. I tried the super feet green inserts as well but I have high arches and the model of Sole brand inserts had higher arch support for me. I also did physical therapy, got custom inserts (which made the pain worse) and everything else under the sun to try to get rid of it. Also I got some little braces/bands that go around my arches that did wonders for my PF. I tried them all on amazon and the best one were called Foots Love Plantar Fasciitis Arch Support. They cost around 14 bucks and they were worth every penny!!

I finally cured my PF (after years of pain) earlier this year with PRP injections in both feet. PRP was expensive and painful but I had tried everything else and I was desperate. I have had PRP for several other injuries and it has always worked and thankfully it, again, worked like a charm after a few months. If you have chronic PF (longer than 6 months), I encourage you to look into PRP therapy from a reputable doctor or podiatrist in your area. Its painful for your feet due to all of the nerve endings and expensive, but worth every penny.

But as your vacation approaches and if you still have pain, I suggest you take cortisone shots to help get you through the vacation. In general cortisone shots are not a long term answer and many will say they do some damage to you. But you need to get through your vacation and not be in horrible pain. The shots will take away the pain for a few days and give you the chance to enjoy your vacation. Just try to take the shots the day before you go so hopefully the pain relief last through your trip.

If you have any questions about PRP injections for PF I'll be glad to answer them.

Last edited:
I've had it a couple of times. I have high arches and a lack of support in crappy sneakers and work shoes lead to flareups and incredible heel pain. I basically had to stretch and work it out until it finally went away after several months. (I've got a job where I'm on my feet most of the day.)

I did buy a pair of KURU Quantum Sneakers and a pair of KURU Kivi work clogs. They're pricey, but they are my footwear savior. They basically mold to your feet through wearing a few hours each day to break in. They're the most supportive shoe I've ever had and I'm not going back. Wearing the work shoes 8 hours a day and sneakers at home in the house, as well as my sneakers on the go, I fixed a lot of my foot issues.

Shoes these days do not have the support that they did in days past. The last pair of Skechers I bought was the worst pile of garbage I'd ever worn. And it made my feet WORSE once the little bit of cushioning they had wore down after about three weeks.

I wore them to Disney for the first time in February 2018 and it was the first trip I'd ever gone on where I didn't have a wicked blister. (Full Disclosure: I wore the crap out of them from September of last year and wore them on a 4-day walking tour of DC at the end of July and got a blister, but it's because I wore them out and didn't replace them. I bought and have broken in a brand new pair for Disney next month.)

I also wear Crocs flip flops from May to September, but only the ones with a leather upper thong and not the Crocs foam ones. They have a surprising amount of support.

Like everyone has said, get the right shoes for you! Everyone's feet are different, and the right shoes that absolutely cured one person's PF may not even work for you at all. So get fitted and try several different brands and different styles to see what works best for you. Break in your shoes before going to the parks. And bring more than one pair of shoes so that you can rotate and switch out pairs (more than once a day, if needed). For DH, Keens were the answer. Ever since switching to Keens in the parks, he's never once had a flare up. If he uses any other shoes, no matter how good the brand is, the PF returns. So we bring Keens (several different pairs, including waterproof sandals for the wet rides) and arnica gel. And he does his stretches morning, noon, and night.
If you do decide to try Keens, see if you can find a store to try them on before purchasing. DH goes up a half size in that brand, which is true for a lot of people. I take my regular size in most styles, but sometimes have to go up a half size.

Last edited:
I will second, or third, what others have said ...

1. I never, ever, ever go barefoot. Makes a big difference.
2. Custom orthotics.
3. Really good shoes. My podiatrist recommended Brooks because they have a lot more support than most shoes, and they make a big difference for me. I wear Brooks Ariels (how Disney!!) They run about $165 in my area. Even if you don't end up with Brooks, as others have said, go to a really good shoe store. Not a Nike store, etc., not a brand store. Here in Seattle I go to Shoes n' Feet, but they only have stores in Seattle and San Francisco. I absolutely cannot wear things like Crocs or flipflops because they don't have enough support for me.
4. After doing this, I didn't have a flare up (after getting over the FP the first time) for several years.

Mom and I both have had PF; mom's was really bad in particular. If you want to have less pain in December, you have to start rehabilitating your body NOW because it takes months of therapy to see real improvement in the flexibility of your plantar fascia. There's so much more to relieving the pain than wearing supportive shoes all the time. Work with your podiatrist and even a chiropractor to get a physical therapy plan going.

Your focus will need to be in several areas:
  • Shoes that provide arch support and stabilize foot pronation. You will benefit from orthotics and shoes that allow orthotic inserts are ideal.
  • Never go barefoot. Even wear supportive flip flop shoes in the shower.
  • Sports taping to provide additional motion stability and arch support.
  • Daily stretching of the hips, thighs, and calves to increase flexibility - all of these muscle groups affect knee and foot biomechanics. Tight, short muscles impair hip, leg, and foot alignment, leading to knee and foot problems.
  • Icing the arch several times per day to relieve inflammation. Heat is not recommended for inflammation; it's good for achy/tired leg muscles (which is not your biggest issue). In your case, you should not soak in a warm tub but sit at the edge of the hotel pool and soak your calves and feet in the cool water for 15 minutes each evening. Then NSAIDS, ice packs, and stretches in the room.

https://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/foot-heel-pain/plantar-fasciitis

Birkenstocks are amazing. I have 4 pairs, including a plastic pair for the pool/beach. Stretch like crazy. Right when you get up in the morning, and again several times throughout the day. And I agree with previous posters -never ever go barefoot. I have a pair of new balance flip flops that are basically my slippers - I put them on as soon as I get home. Also, if you don’t have a night brace, get one. I don’t wear mine all the time anymore, but it was a huge help in getting my pf under control.

I suffer from flare ups and find if I can control those, I do a lot better in the parks (I wear New Balance per my podiatrist).

To keep the flare ups away, I never go barefoot. I wear crocs flip flops at home in the shower or any other time I might be barefoot. I never wear flat sole shoes...aim for ones with a slight heel.

If I get a flare up, I wear a sleeping boot. Do stretches, I’ve and ibuprofen. Cortzone shots if it’s really bad.

google "assisted stretch therapy" in your area. It was my miracle cure for pf and a multitude of other ailments!

I've had PF and associated flares for around 15 years.

In the beginning, I would wear Sketchers, and they worked fine. About 5 years ago, I switched to Nikes, which worked, but weren't ideal.

Now, I wear Ryka and BZees. They are available at Naturalizer (and their outlets, if you happen to have one nearby). Both brands have a higher arch that makes my feet a lot more comfy.

So, here's my PF routine at the parks....
Arrival night: No park. 800mg of Ibuprofen at bed time.
Park days: 800mg of Ibuprofen as soon as I get up. Wear Ryka shoes. 800mg of Ibuprofen with an afternoon snack (3:30-4pm or so). Change shoes and socks to BZees at this time. Bed time at the hotel: 800mg of Ibuprofen, and a 5-10 minute soak in the tub. If I can't soak my whole lower body, I still do warm water from the shower for 5 minutes. Next day, repeat.

Of course, this is not medical advice, just how I personally have done it. Check with your doctor about taking ibuprofen or other NSAIDs.

Ryka shoes: https://www.amazon.com/Ryka-Womens-...340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ryka+shoes+for+women

Bzees: https://www.amazon.com/Naturalizer-...236_SY340_QL65&keywords=bzees+shoes+for+women

Hi everyone. I have Plantar Fasciitis and have a really hard time being on my feet all day. We are going to Disneyland for 5 days and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make this work? Really dont want to rent a scooter as it will be the SUPER PACKED after Christmas time we are going. Plus it is me and my 2 kids, so yeah. Being in a scooter is not optimal.

If you have PF what shoes do you wear in the parks? I really want to get a new pair of shoes (would for sure break them in before the trip). I just have not had great luck lately finding shoes that don't leave me in pain at the end of the day.

I appreciate any tips you can give me, thank you!

I went to a New Balance Store and got a really good pair of shoes with their orthotics, my foot doctor swears by NB, as do I, zero foot pain after wearing them all day. I would look for a New Balance Store and tell them what and where you are going and they will set you right up.

I don't have Plantar Fasciitis, but know how tough a full 10 mile day at Disneyland can be on the feet!

I like to bring at least 2 running shoes, so either Nike or Asics. I haven't tried wearing sandals in the park yet, but I'm really liking my Chacos or Betula sandals (with Chacos being the more foot-friendly option). I would switch shoes morning/afternoon if you can, but at least every other day.

I agree with the others about stretching. It helps it go away. I've had it a few times and stretching and the right shoes always helps. Also freezing a water bottle and rolling it under your foot in the evening also helps. I used to wear Nike Air Max but switched to New Balance which I find so much better. And I do rent a scooter even in a crowded park as I have osteoarthritis in my knees. To me being pain free is most important.

Just back from DL and wshat saved my feet were bringing 4 pairs of different shoes to switch (yes, 4 pairs, thankfully I have small feet!). Okabashi flip flops were wonderful - I love their arch support. I also get relief from KT tape and getting off my feet for a break when they start to act up. I brought an ace bandage too but never wound up needing it.

I have PF and I found out at an early stage...I went to a running store in my area and they recommended the Brooks Ariel's. I have wore them faithfully. I also went to a New Balance 990 to use to switch up my sneakers. As for sandals, I have used Merrell sandals (Terran Lattice II) because they an arch. I also have other foot problems, so these are the easiest for me to walk around all day in.

I just went to the store to buy a new pair of Ariels, but they didn't have my size, so I decided to try a different pair...they showed me the Adrenaline's and they fit almost the same as the Ariel's. I am going to give them a shot and if I need to, I can add my inserts in to help out.

I have to agree with a lot of others...you have to find the right shoe for you...not just one shoe is the answer for all PF.

Oddly enough Croc Kadee Ballet Flat is what works for me. Each person finds a different shoe that works for them

Not all PF's are the same, mine is caused by my plantar fascia being short and is always tight. I do the frozen ball or bottle and always stretch it when sitting or laying etc. My Ortho fitted me with special insoles to put into my shoes, he said not use the shoe insoles because one type does not fit all symptoms (to much arch support is just as bad as no arch support). He recommended Asics Gels or NB that have very good heel cushion.

Thanks everyone. I usually wear New Balance and Asics daily. Have arch supports from my foot doctor and all that. I used to run outside (which is how this all started) but now just walk. Haven't been to DL since this all started and am nervous. Sounds like I am on a good path. Was not planning to bring more than a pair, but will bring two just incase and some tape! Thank you all again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter