Anyone else have Plantar Fasciitis? What shoes do you wear to DL? Tips?

RobertaMomof2

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. I have Plantar Fasciitis and have a really hard time being on my feet all day. We are going to Disneyland for 5 days and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make this work? Really dont want to rent a scooter as it will be the SUPER PACKED after Christmas time we are going. Plus it is me and my 2 kids, so yeah. Being in a scooter is not optimal.

If you have PF what shoes do you wear in the parks? I really want to get a new pair of shoes (would for sure break them in before the trip). I just have not had great luck lately finding shoes that don't leave me in pain at the end of the day.

I appreciate any tips you can give me, thank you!

The things that helped most when I had PF were custom orthotics, physical therapy and shoes with good arch support. Also, never really going barefoot - even now. It took about 6 months to fully recover, but almost 10 years later, it hasn't returned.

When at the parks, make sure to rest and stretch, especially if you feel things tightening up.

I've had PF and associated flares for around 15 years.

In the beginning, I would wear Sketchers, and they worked fine. About 5 years ago, I switched to Nikes, which worked, but weren't ideal.

Now, I wear Ryka and BZees. They are available at Naturalizer (and their outlets, if you happen to have one nearby). Both brands have a higher arch that makes my feet a lot more comfy.

So, here's my PF routine at the parks....
Arrival night: No park. 800mg of Ibuprofen at bed time.
Park days: 800mg of Ibuprofen as soon as I get up. Wear Ryka shoes. 800mg of Ibuprofen with an afternoon snack (3:30-4pm or so). Change shoes and socks to BZees at this time. Bed time at the hotel: 800mg of Ibuprofen, and a 5-10 minute soak in the tub. If I can't soak my whole lower body, I still do warm water from the shower for 5 minutes. Next day, repeat.

Of course, this is not medical advice, just how I personally have done it. Check with your doctor about taking ibuprofen or other NSAIDs.

Ryka shoes: https://www.amazon.com/Ryka-Womens-...340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ryka+shoes+for+women

Bzees: https://www.amazon.com/Naturalizer-...236_SY340_QL65&keywords=bzees+shoes+for+women

I've had PF and associated flares for around 15 years.

In the beginning, I would wear Sketchers, and they worked fine. About 5 years ago, I switched to Nikes, which worked, but weren't ideal.

Now, I wear Ryka and BZees. They are available at Naturalizer (and their outlets, if you happen to have one nearby). Both brands have a higher arch that makes my feet a lot more comfy.

So, here's my PF routine at the parks....
Arrival night: No park. 800mg of Ibuprofen at bed time.
Park days: 800mg of Ibuprofen as soon as I get up. Wear Ryka shoes. 800mg of Ibuprofen with an afternoon snack (3:30-4pm or so). Change shoes and socks to BZees at this time. Bed time at the hotel: 800mg of Ibuprofen, and a 5-10 minute soak in the tub. If I can't soak my whole lower body, I still do warm water from the shower for 5 minutes. Next day, repeat.

Of course, this is not medical advice, just how I personally have done it. Check with your doctor about taking ibuprofen or other NSAIDs.

Ryka shoes: https://www.amazon.com/Ryka-Womens-...340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ryka+shoes+for+women

Bzees: https://www.amazon.com/Naturalizer-...236_SY340_QL65&keywords=bzees+shoes+for+women

Thank you SO MUCH! I do take ibuprofen at night normally (per the doctor) and have orthotics as well (wowsmom). Just need a good shoe and plan for Disneyland. Going to try out your ideas lalasmama! Checking out the shoes you mentioned now. Thank you so much!

Thank you SO MUCH! I do take ibuprofen at night normally (per the doctor) and have orthotics as well (wowsmom). Just need a good shoe and plan for Disneyland. Going to try out your ideas lalasmama! Checking out the shoes you mentioned now. Thank you so much!
Hope they work for you! The Ryka shoes can be a little tough to break in, but once my feet were used to them, I can do hikes in them even.

OOfos worked for me really fast, was suffering 6 months or longer, finally went to a shoe store that specializes in Plantar and other problems. I would say in less then a week the pain was gone.

I wear my Nikes with my custom orthotics and Birkenstocks and Chacos sandals. I take ibuprofen and I ice my arches and my arthritic knee.

I bought these ice packs:
71pyOq7-s-L._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Ice-Bag-Packs-Reusable-Perfectly/dp/B07B6RT3BT

As a distance runner, I’m prone to PF if I’m ever in the wrong shoe or old shoes. The best park shoe for me has become my oofos flip flops. They are runner recovery flips, and I’ve worn them all over DLR and WDW. :-)

I fend it off by switching. I wear a New Balance running shoe one day, and the next I'll wear the New Balance trainer. The trainer allows the foot muscles to rest a bit more because of the more solid base. The running shoe provides comfort, but NB products have excellent arch support.

When it's really bad, I'll get an ace bandage specifically made for PF. It's simple elastic band that's not to tight or too invasive. That helps quite a bit on bad days.

I been wrestling with PF for over two years and I was really worried about managing pain and inflammation during our trip to DL earlier this month. I made a conscious effort to: 1. do stretches before I got out of bed each morning. My PF is the worst right when I get out of bed...OUCH! Flexing and pointing my toes/feet before I get up really helped. 2. take ibuprofen. I found that taking ibuprofen before we left for the parks in the morning and then taking another dose again at night made a big difference. 3. alternate my supportive shoes. I switched between my Birkenstock Gizehs, my Chaco classic ZXs, and my New Balance running shoes. I think the combination of switching footwear whenever possible also helped a ton.

I wish you all the best and I hope you have a magical vacation!!

I don’t remember if I was ever at Disneyland when I had PF. Mine was bad an i used Birkenstock inserts and they worked wonders for me.

get better shoes, New Balance are about the best, but Nikes and Adiddas will work if you get shoes with strong arch support. Any kind of flat shoe like converse vans or boat shoes wll kill your feet. I had the issue big time, not anymore

Here is what worked for me. I suffered for 2 years one trip to Disney with PF. Had shots and almost surgery. Did the ball the ice the stretch’s all good stuff and helps

BUT here is what worked for me

Rule #1 - Never Ever Ever go barefoot. Always have a shoe or sandal on. Never go barefoot ever. Run to bathroom in middle of night, shoes. Beach? Shoes. Shower? Shoes or sandals. Always wear good shoes sandals if your on your feet.

Rule #2 - Buy good shoes. NB have awesome support which you need. Inserts like NB or Spenco’s. I can’t say enough about Spenco Inserts. Awesome. Orthaheel Flip Flops and Shoes are a great choice.

Rule #3 - if you start to feel your feet hurt from PF STOP. Take a break. Ibuprofen immediately and rest.

Like i said I tried many different things and when I finally got some good quality shoes and sandals and never walked barefoot and took meds as needed I recovered. Not 100% can I walk all day but I can walk steady and most of it.

Here is what worked for me. I suffered for 2 years one trip to Disney with PF. Had shots and almost surgery. Did the ball the ice the stretch’s all good stuff and helps

BUT here is what worked for me

Rule #1 - Never Ever Ever go barefoot. Always have a shoe or sandal on. Never go barefoot ever. Run to bathroom in middle of night, shoes. Beach? Shoes. Shower? Shoes or sandals. Always wear good shoes sandals if your on your feet.

Rule #2 - Buy good shoes. NB have awesome support which you need. Inserts like NB or Spenco’s. I can’t say enough about Spenco Inserts. Awesome. Orthaheel Flip Flops and Shoes are a great choice.

Rule #3 - if you start to feel your feet hurt from PF STOP. Take a break. Ibuprofen immediately and rest.

Like i said I tried many different things and when I finally got some good quality shoes and sandals and never walked barefoot and took meds as needed I recovered. Not 100% can I walk all day but I can walk steady and most of it.
I use Orthaheel flip flops, I can go all day in them. Conventional flip flops killed my feet. Great product

Hi everyone. I have Plantar Fasciitis and have a really hard time being on my feet all day. We are going to Disneyland for 5 days and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make this work? Really dont want to rent a scooter as it will be the SUPER PACKED after Christmas time we are going. Plus it is me and my 2 kids, so yeah. Being in a scooter is not optimal.

If you have PF what shoes do you wear in the parks? I really want to get a new pair of shoes (would for sure break them in before the trip). I just have not had great luck lately finding shoes that don't leave me in pain at the end of the day.

I appreciate any tips you can give me, thank you!
Brooks Adrenaline running shoes(they also come in wide and double wide)
Freeze a water bottle and sit and roll your foot back and forth on it for just a few minutes a couple times a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter