Anyone else a little miffed about ROTR 2020 opening date?

I have read the same thing from a reliable source on another forum.

Not sure what the rules are about linking to or mentioning other forums...

I have read the same thing from a reliable source on another forum.

Not sure what the rules are about linking to or mentioning other forums...

Maybe a moderator could weigh in here? I don’t know the rules either but would love to read/hear more about this info!!

There are other forums about that focus on all things Disney but not really trip focused unlike Disboards which is the best at this niche.
One of the members, a CM whom I have followed for a few years has proven to be a reliable source of information.

There are many updates but here is one from last week:

"
Not sure where you're getting your info from, but from the CM's in Facilities and Attractions plus a couple managers who can't stand Chapek that I've talked to in the last week there is no way this ride is going to be opening anything meaningfully earlier than January 17th. Maybe a soft opening on January 15th? Maybe not? Maybe the opening gets bumped to February or March?

The ride is currently torn up to repair mistakes and before they tore it up they couldn't keep the ride system running for more than short bursts at a time. Chapek has put parks execs on both coasts under intense pressure to get the ride open ASAP and World execs thought they should impress Chapek by agreeing to an intensely optimistic timetable to get the ride open by early December to save the hotel occupancy for World's Christmas season. That will likely prove a mistake for World.

At DLR the savior is Disneyland VP Kris Theiler who convinced Josh D'Amaro that opening any new major attraction right before Christmas was operational suicide. Especially a ride system that doesn't actually work. Kris Theiler actually knows a lot about park operations and Guest service - which are topics that Bob Chapek knows absolutely nothing. The trick is that Kris had to get new president Josh D'Amaro on her side to sell it to Chapek - and she did because Josh is not as dumb and pompous as Michael Colglazier before him.

Rise is going to be a great ride three years from now when all the bugs are worked out. Right now in 2019 - Rise is a dumpster fire. On both coasts. Check back here on December 6th to see how it went at DHS.'

For anyone not sure about what to make of this. This is just one post of many over the last 12 months where similar information has been flowing through. Those of us following had a heads up long ago that ROTR would not open with SWGE.
This poster has been reliable over the years on not just SWGE.

Ask yourself this: ROTR did not open with SWGE nor is it scheduled to open "later this year". For it to keep missing major PUBLISHED deadlines something is very wrong. There is a lot of rhetoric coming out of Disney, it is all damage control.

There are other forums about that focus on all things Disney but not really trip focused unlike Disboards which is the best at this niche.
One of the members, a CM whom I have followed for a few years has proven to be a reliable source of information.

There are many updates but here is one from last week:

"
Not sure where you're getting your info from, but from the CM's in Facilities and Attractions plus a couple managers who can't stand Chapek that I've talked to in the last week there is no way this ride is going to be opening anything meaningfully earlier than January 17th. Maybe a soft opening on January 15th? Maybe not? Maybe the opening gets bumped to February or March?

The ride is currently torn up to repair mistakes and before they tore it up they couldn't keep the ride system running for more than short bursts at a time. Chapek has put parks execs on both coasts under intense pressure to get the ride open ASAP and World execs thought they should impress Chapek by agreeing to an intensely optimistic timetable to get the ride open by early December to save the hotel occupancy for World's Christmas season. That will likely prove a mistake for World.

At DLR the savior is Disneyland VP Kris Theiler who convinced Josh D'Amaro that opening any new major attraction right before Christmas was operational suicide. Especially a ride system that doesn't actually work. Kris Theiler actually knows a lot about park operations and Guest service - which are topics that Bob Chapek knows absolutely nothing. The trick is that Kris had to get new president Josh D'Amaro on her side to sell it to Chapek - and she did because Josh is not as dumb and pompous as Michael Colglazier before him.

Rise is going to be a great ride three years from now when all the bugs are worked out. Right now in 2019 - Rise is a dumpster fire. On both coasts. Check back here on December 6th to see how it went at DHS.'

WOW. Well, after reading that, I would say that if they have to bump the timetable back again, they may also be committing Brand suicide. Not that setbacks can't happen and things can't go majorly awry, but obviously there were very smart people working on this project who knew this was a no-go probably a year ago. Shame that executive greed and fear of shareholder disappointment can result in such foolish decisions - like "cross your fingers and toes" and we'll somehow get it open...? We all understand that Magic takes time. But at the ticket and hotel prices Disney is charging, if they keep dinking around with the opening dates they will likely face some serious negative press & backlash, IMO. This will be very interesting to follow. Thank you for sharing!!

Your welcome. I'm not really here to share the Tea. Mostly I just wanted to assure a fellow Aussie that missing the opening by a few weeks wasn't a disaster. It costs us a fortune & the flight time is horrendous and whilst some posters may infer and in fact say that it is "whining" a trip to DLR from Australia is mostly a once in a lifetime event. I could feel the disappointment in the post and just wanted to help clarify.

I'm not seeing any new information, tbh, just rehashed grumblings on the same topic. We'll see how it goes. I surely won't be surprised if RoTR doesn't operate perfectly for a while, honestly, if they're implementing new ride tech. If the gloom and doom materializes, I'll just enjoy the ride when it's ready and I'm there, no biggie.

One of the reasons why this poster is so informing is the detail about what it takes to get an attraction open in DLR. Very different to Florida and just this information alone makes you understand why the above post is true.

ROTR has to be cycling without stopping for a certain number of hours before it can undertake a test to allow it to open in California. Once it passes it takes a minimum of 3 months to open after that. This is not a requirement in Florida. Whether it is cycling regularly or not it will open in Florida in December.

I'm not seeing any new information, tbh, just rehashed grumblings on the same topic. We'll see how it goes. I surely won't be surprised if RoTR doesn't operate perfectly for a while, honestly, if they're implementing new ride tech. If the gloom and doom materializes, I'll just enjoy the ride when it's ready and I'm there, no biggie.
Yup and I couldn't care less whether anyone here takes it with a grain of salt. Live & let live.
I could post much more information but I wont. Copy and pasting sources isn't really the right thing to do.

One of the reasons why this poster is so informing is the detail about what it takes to get an attraction open in DLR. Very different to Florida and just this information alone makes you understand why the above post is true.

ROTR has to be cycling without stopping for a certain number of hours before it can undertake a test to allow it to open in California. Once it passes it takes a minimum of 3 months to open after that. This is not a requirement in Florida. Whether it is cycling regularly or not it will open in Florida in December.

Well I had no idea about that either! And understanding the difference in park requirements sure helps! Thanks again👍

Make sure you bring cheese with all this whining your doing
Don’t believe I’m whining, just expressing my frustration with Disney and making a choice for future vacation destinations. If you’re not at all annoyed, great, more power to you. Pretty sure there are 1 or 2 other places in the world I can choose to go.

But thanks for playing, never heard that one before and after all every child wins a prize and all opinions are welcome.
If you are going over Christmas, the crowds would be my far greater concern than ROTR being open yet. I would literally rather go anytime but then, especially if I was spending so much and coming such a long way.
This will not be my first rodeo. I’ve been at busy times before, including capacity days and the crowds don’t bother me at all, that’s not the point. I choose Christmas for several reasons, it wasn’t forced upon me. It was our choice based on clear and unambiguous information released by Disney so arrangements were made well in advance as they have to be for a great time of year to visit. You can’t put a trip together in 6 weeks from down here unless you have an unlimited budget, which I don’t.

Anyway a 10 day parkhopper lets you pick and choose your times over a 2 week period so the crowds don’t really matter. I’ll just be spending less time there than I would have been otherwise.

All the best.

Last edited:
Stepping in with a reminder for everyone in this thread: let's remember to keep our comments respectful and courteous toward each other. There is no need for sarcasm and demeaning remarks. For those posters who are keeping the discussion going, thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter