Anyone eating Keto? Can you still take snacks in? Need suggestions

debidoesdisney

Mouseketeer
If you are doing Keto, looking for suggestions on staying (pretty much) on track. I am just looking for ideas or where y'all ate or things you brought in with you, if that is even still allowed. I was planning on taking in salami, pepperoni and meat sticks, and some veggies. It appears that most of their menus items are cast in stone with nothing to sub with. I hate paying $50 for a meal that I can only eat the meat. Thank you in advance.

I have been keto since January. I booked dlxdp for my February solo trip. I am in hopes that I will get more flexiblity getting sides changed when eating at signature places. I have met my goal plus an additional 5 lbs. I will say I am not sure how to stick 100% keto using snack credits. I am sure you can get strawberries and I think you can get cheese. I will say I am sure I will have some cheats. I will try and stay 100% gluten free though.

I follow a different plan, but during our WDW I allowed my self to stray but stayed as close as I could, or I should say as I wanted. The time I returned with 4 days at WDW and 3 days at a conference and going out in Clearwater Beach my weight was 1# less then I left.

That said one thing I learned is if you are flying do not put all those things in your carry on. I had a number of protein bars I took with me, and my small airport pulled me aside and one by one swab tested each package! Ugh there goes 10 minutes of my life.

If you are not packing ice packs I would be careful what you pack in w you. It was so grossly humid and hot today my Diet Coke got hot. Not room temp, not warm, hot. And gross. I could not imagine eating food that had been in my pack. Ick

It is actually very easy to eat low carb at Disney. Any burger or chicken sandwich could be eaten without the bun and order w no fries.

At restaurants skip the carb and double up in veg.

Columbia harbor house had a lovely salmon w green beans and a salad w chicken or shrimp available

It takes some planning, but completely doable.

I have been keto since January. I booked dlxdp for my February solo trip. I am in hopes that I will get more flexiblity getting sides changed when eating at signature places. I have met my goal plus an additional 5 lbs. I will say I am not sure how to stick 100% keto using snack credits. I am sure you can get strawberries and I think you can get cheese. I will say I am sure I will have some cheats. I will try and stay 100% gluten free though.
Sounds like you and I have about the same story. I am not on the Disney Meal Plan. I'm sure a few things will "sneak" in there as I do not worry too much about what's "in" things on vacation. Salad dressings, etc. You can usually tell by their names whats in them. Cole Slaw is always tricky, Good Luck. We are going in Dec so if I can remember, I will report back.

If you are not packing ice packs I would be careful what you pack in w you. It was so grossly humid and hot today my Diet Coke got hot. Not room temp, not warm, hot. And gross. I could not imagine eating food that had been in my pack. Ick

It is actually very easy to eat low carb at Disney. Any burger or chicken sandwich could be eaten without the bun and order w no fries.

At restaurants skip the carb and double up in veg.

Columbia harbor house had a lovely salmon w green beans and a salad w chicken or shrimp available

It takes some planning, but completely doable.
Thank you. I was thinking of getting some small ones just in case. We are going in Dec so should be a bit cooler. I am so cheap to pay Disney prices for a burger on a plate. I have only found one place so far that even has coleslaw that I might be able to sub. Carrot sticks are a no.. Columbia Harbor House sounds good. TU

I follow a different plan, but during our WDW I allowed my self to stray but stayed as close as I could, or I should say as I wanted. The time I returned with 4 days at WDW and 3 days at a conference and going out in Clearwater Beach my weight was 1# less then I left.

Yes, sometimes it's ok to shake things up. We will do the same. My husband concerns me as he has a harder time with it all.

That said one thing I learned is if you are flying do not put all those things in your carry on. I had a number of protein bars I took with me, and my small airport pulled me aside and one by one swab tested each package! Ugh there goes 10 minutes of my life.

:) Ugh!! I will put them in my suitcase or buy them there. TU

I've been eating keto since July. On my upcoming trip in December I have the dining plan. We are doing a number of buffets. I travel with my adult special needs daughter and she loves character meals. I know that doing the buffets with be helpful with eating because I can make my own choices, and many of the meat selections will fit in with my plan. Single wrapped cheese sticks would be good snack options depending on the time of year you are traveling. You might also want to consider and grocery delivery to your resort room.

I've been eating keto since July. On my upcoming trip in December I have the dining plan. We are doing a number of buffets. I travel with my adult special needs daughter and she loves character meals. I know that doing the buffets with be helpful with eating because I can make my own choices, and many of the meat selections will fit in with my plan. Single wrapped cheese sticks would be good snack options depending on the time of year you are traveling. You might also want to consider and grocery delivery to your resort room.
I think your idea of buffets is great. i was thinking it would be detrimental, but I can't eat that much anymore anyway, but you get all those nice choices. We are not on the meal plan, nor do we stay on property because we have had timeshare at Vistana Resort for almost 30 years. We love it there but, maybe just once we will splurge to stay on property. We will also be there in mid Dec.. Good luck and Keto on.

Pecos Bill is great in MK
order a side of fajita meat from the menu, and get a plate ... go to the toppings bar and fill the plate with lettuce, guac, salsa, sour cream and cheese and top with the meat. soooo cheap for a very filling meal
turkey legs all over
BBQ Chicharonnes is a good keto snack (frontierland cart)
Cosmic Rays has a rotissierie chicken and green bean platter, also a Greek salad which is good
ABC Commissary in hollywood studios has a lemon pepper salmon and you can sub green beans for the couscous
Disney is really good at letting you sub veggies for starches for most meals
I brought in nuts, beef jerky, protein bars
I would book a breakfast at Boma. We ate there around 11 and I had so much ham, turkey, asparagus, bacon, the eggs with goat cheese and spinach, charcuterie and fruit that I didn't eat the rest of the day

I eat LCHF/keto. I'm planning to bring my own Quest bars and jerky into the parks in my bag. I find there are many things (when looking at menus) that I can make LC by simple deletions. Like PP said, you can sub veggies for starches in a lot of places.

For example, pretty much anywhere you can grab a burger w/o the bun. I have an ADR at Be Our Guest for lunch and plan to order the braised pork entree without the potatoes; meat & green beans only. I plan to order the fajita platter in the Mexico pavilion in EPCOT. No rice, beans or tortillas, of course. I also have an ADR for Tusker House - salmon, green salads and veggies - YUM.

Just take a look at the menus of places you'll be and do some pre-work before you go so you're not stressed about eating during the trip. You'll do great!

Great suggestions and help!! Thank you so much! I'm going to try making cookies so we have some treats too. I'm not saying that we won't indulge a bit, but our indulgence is usually alcohol. :P

I am just beginning low carb / keto, thank you for the ideas.
I do plan on staying low carb 80% of the time. I am not a huge sweet eater, but some of those desserts sound wonderful!

I eat keto at home but splurge at Disney. However, I still tend to bring keto snacks. I like beef jerky and almond butter packets. Like others have said, they now sell baby bell cheese. You can also get hard boiled eggs at some of the hotel gift shops/snack shops.

I eat keto at home but splurge at Disney. However, I still tend to bring keto snacks. I like beef jerky and almond butter packets. Like others have said, they now sell baby bell cheese. You can also get hard boiled eggs at some of the hotel gift shops/snack shops.
Ooooo, almond butter packets, I’ll have to look for those. That with celery sticks would be good

I do keto at Disney. I tell the wait staff that I am no sugar/low carb and they’re awesome! I ordered fish and told them just to leave the couscous off and they did a wonderful spiral veggie with my fish. Very tasty! That’s just one example but they all do it. The great part is I didn’t even have to ask. I just ordered the meal the way I could eat it, and the wait staff just start throwing food ideas around.

For snacks I take almonds, grass fed beef sticks, Fat Snax cookies....stuff like that.

Ooooo, almond butter packets, I’ll have to look for those. That with celery sticks would be good

I like the Justin's brand. They have plain, honey, or maple. The honey or maple aren't too bad in carbs, but plain is great too. They have other nuts too. I don't eat peanuts though. The hazelnut is good, but it's pretty sugary with chocolate.

Last edited:
I spend 2 weeks in Orlando last month (Disney and Ignite). I kept myself away from as much as I could but I didn't stress over it. When I could, I stayed away from the extras at meals and too many snacks. However, I did indulge here and there and try some of the treats. With all the walking I did I was able to stay at the same weight when I got back. That's all I was concerned about and it worked fine.

keto at Disney is super easy, Staff is always accommodating.
Check out my keto dining reports :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter