Anyone downgrading your resort preferences because of higher rates?

We have stayed at both. We are wanting a place we haven’t stayed at. We have stayed at all the moderates except CBR. So I have that on our list.

CBR is the only moderate I haven’t stayed at either. I’ve visited a few times to check it out, but the theming just doesn't appeal to me.

Have you been to Gran Destino at Coronado since it opened? It’s beautiful, like a deluxe inside.

CBR is the only moderate I haven’t stayed at either. I’ve visited a few times to check it out, but the theming just doesn't appeal to me.

Have you been to Gran Destino at Coronado since it opened? It’s beautiful, like a deluxe inside.
No I haven’t . Maybe I will check it out .

I've only stayed 'deluxe' at Disneyland, not Disneyworld, and only because those trips were gifts I gave to my parents. I just can't justify the price for deluxe at WDW, it seems ridiculously overpriced to me when I compare what is offered to international high end hotels. It's not that I couldn't afford it, but I could use that money for so many other things or other holidays.

I have stayed value, it wasn't bad, but I prefer moderates and can usually find a good deal. I like POFQ and riverside, I prefer Coronado and I'm staying there and CBR for my upcoming stay. It's quite honestly about $125 difference per night (with my AP discount) between my room at CSR and the cheapest room at a deluxe (Saratoga springs). Add that up over two weeks... that's just not worth it to me.

That said, if deluxe makes you happy, you can afford it and the price doesn't bother you, go for it. To each their own. Obviously some people see value in it because they keep booking up and Disney keeps building them, and I think people just like to vacation differently. There are lots of people out there who probably think it's silly I pay for a moderate vs a value, but that's where I feel comfortable staying.

Another thing I would add is that Disney Springs area hotels are looking increasingly appealing to me. I would have stayed there for my upcoming March trip, but I'm now taking my brother and his fiancee as a gift and thought it was better to stay on site.

That said, as some food for thought...

I could have got a 13 night stay at a Disney Spring area hotel, where there was a walking path to Disney Springs, for about $450 less than my 8 nights at CSR. And I would have earned hotel points! I think I'm going to do two WDW trips next year and give that a go.
I do like the moderate resorts. They are nice but I really like the deluxe resorts. We have been spoiled by an agency discount that we have gotten for the deluxe resorts over the past few years. It was about the same price the moderates are now. The agency deals are no longer a deep discount.

Values now cost what Moderates once did. Moderates now cost what Deluxes like WL and AK use to. And your lucky if you can find a Deluxe for under 500 these days. The $200 a night Values blow my mind the most.
This is exactly what I said a few weeks ago.

There aren't usually any discounts at POFQ because of it's size and popularity, in my experience. You can get discounts at POR which is a fantastic sister resort to POFQ. We've stayed at both and like POR much more.
I haven't found any room only discounts when looking for myself, but if I use a TA they seem to get better rates. Maybe it was the time of year? We like to go at the unpopular, somewhat less crowded times, LOL, which are harder to find now!

If you really like the deluxes, how about renting DVC points? We booked for many years with the agency exclusive deals, too, and are definitely spoiled by the deluxes. For us, the resort is a big part of the trip because we aren’t park commandos. Heck, we don’t even go into the parks everyday. We are renting DVC points at the Poly for part of our trip this summer and paying $368/night. That still isn’t cheap, but it’s better than $600/night. We stayed at POR two summers ago and really liked it, but we weren’t crazy about the exterior doors, no balcony/patio, and we hated we had to ride the bus everywhere. We skipped Disney last year to save money so we could stay deluxe this year.

If you really like the deluxes, how about renting DVC points? We booked for many years with the agency exclusive deals, too, and are definitely spoiled by the deluxes. For us, the resort is a big part of the trip because we aren’t park commandos. Heck, we don’t even go into the parks everyday. We are renting DVC points at the Poly for part of our trip this summer and paying $368/night. That still isn’t cheap, but it’s better than $600/night. We stayed at POR two summers ago and really liked it, but we weren’t crazy about the exterior doors, no balcony/patio, and we hated we had to ride the bus everywhere. We skipped Disney last year to save money so we could stay deluxe this year.

Its definitely the way to go. We haven't paid for a "cash room" since 2017 and we only stay Deluxes. However a lot of people are scared off by the process(which is silly as places like Davids make it fool proof). We would never stay at Deluxes rack rate for a cash room.

Yes I have thought about renting DVC but have always been afraid I would have to change our trip . It is non refundable right and you can’t change dates ? I’m not sure I know all the rules.Do you use David’s?

Yes I have thought about renting DVC but have always been afraid I would have to change our trip . It is non refundable right and you can’t change dates ? I’m not sure I know all the rules.Do you use David’s?

I do not use David’s. I find I can usually get points cheaper through eliminating the middle man. The first two times I rented, I rented from a DVC forum, similar to the DIS. I’m not sure I can post the name on here, but if I can, let me know and I’ll post it. For our upcoming trip this summer, I rented through a rent/trade FB page. I was a little skeptical at renting, but it really is the way to go.

You are correct that it is non refundable and reservations can’t be changed; however, there are owners who will work with you. I think as long as the points don’t go to waste, they are happy to accommodate if possible. You could also buy travel insurance to give you some peace of mind.

Keep in mind with DVC, you don’t get two dedicated beds, rather one bed and a pullout sofa bed (I think you do at OKW or SSR) and I’m honestly not a fan of that, but we don’t mind it for a few nights just to be able to stay deluxe. You also don’t get daily mousekeeping, but that doesn’t bother us.

I adore the Poly, but my most recent eight trips have all been booked elsewhere, due to price. Discounts run 30-35% off at other deluxes including GF, but are small to none at the Poly. We’ve still stayed deluxe, but would have no qualms about booking POFQ if we could get a discount there. Even POFQ prices are a bit shocking without a discount. :worried:

We are going this summer and we usually stay at a deluxe. This year there is no way with the increase in resort prices unless a really good deal comes out.
We are thinking about CBR or maybe even a value . The prices for resorts and tickets are getting to be to much!
I’m still hoping for a good discount for a moderate. Deluxe will not be an option unless it’s a good discount for the WL, which used to be one of the cheaper deluxes.
Yep, we are staying at CSR for the first time this year.

Yes, I just downgraded from CBR to Pop for our February trip. For six nights it saved me over $700. It's just dh and I and now that Pop has queen sized beds it's hard to justify that extra money. Resort prices of all levels as well as ticket prices are really causing me to rethink how and how often we vacation at WDW. This next trip we will do one day tickets for Epcot. We did a total of 3 trips on APs last year and with the jump in AP price, opted not to renew. Disney will likely always get my money, but there's a cap I'm willing to spend. There are other places to vacation and I don't have to wait in vain for discounts to enjoy them!

I had a standard ASMovies room booked with Disney for 5 nights in March. I found a preferred room at ASSports for the same dates for $100 less with Travelocity so I switched. The older style rooms don't really bother us. It's a small savings but still a day's worth of food for dh and I. Disney is expensive enough without giving them any more $$ than I have to.

One option to look in to is renting a timeshare off property. I have stayed at some pretty good ones around. The ones I have stayed at recently, Sheraton Vistana and Holiday Inn Orange Lake, for both of those I had full 2 bedroom units. I traded into those with RCI. I am staying next month at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a 2 BR also. A long time ago I rented at West Gate Lakes. DO NOT BUY a timeshare at these places they aren't worth the investment, just rent.

Edit, I have recently stayed at Pop Century and Port Orleans Riverside, both of those places to me seemed like Quality Inn motels. Yeah, I know they are values, but still, they both cost about $180 a night.

Last edited:
We have done off site, Wyndham, French Quarter, and Contemporary. At the current prices, we made the decision not to come this February (we usually vacation for Mardi Gras). So Disney will still get our money, but not as often as they once did at these rates. I try to keep my eye on the promo codes.

I took my mother for a week last month (December) because she wanted to go during the Christmas season. I just booked a trip for my husband and I for the middle of May for a week as well. I got standard rooms with an AP rate for both and the cost was almost equal. The problem is...the one in December was at CBR and the May reservation is at Pop! That shows how much the rooms have went up I just a couple of months. It’s unreal!

Yep we were gonna do Yacht, now doing Caribbean beach because we are bringing a guest along, added expense. While a larger room would be more comfortable, 1,500 difference is a lot of money.

I've experienced the price explosions over the past 5 years. Wow!
We are downgrading, but only the room component and it slashed our price in half. We decided to wait for our next trip with nicer weather to splurge on Deluxe, where that money will be put to better use.

We're comfortable in a Mod. We loved Riverside and CBR renovation. Really miss when Free Food gave Mod's DDP with TS, now it's QS. We used to find rooms $140-$180, now they're mostly $300+.

One week in 2018 we rented points for AKL Savannah view at $240/nt. With it being a school trip we knew it was definite. Booking thru WDW has an advantage with 30 days out cancellation, but for definite trips renting points saves a ton of money. You get the much nicer Del for sometimes less than Mod prices.
In 2019 we tried OKW 1BR which was insane at $650, but with free DDP for 4ppl was closer to $350/nite. Not bad at all :D The room was lovely and HUGE!

We were planning to skip 2020 and stay BWV early 2021. Then Free Food dropped last week. Squeeze in a trip around Labor Day if the price is right? First we reserved Saratoga for $5.5k, then I switched to ASMu for $3.3k that include 9d/hop's and upgrade to TS food. The Value renovations look sterile to some but I find them greatly improved on space, cleanliness and comfort. Value here we come! :D

Its a great time to try out CBR -- being the HUB for the Skyliner - and with the new lobby and food court -- and its beautiful there -- "Poly - esque" - yes the rooms are smaller - but its much quieter there than the deluxes - and with the direct Skyliner to both HS and Epcot - we stayed there for a week and November and were NOT disappointed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!