Anyone Children's National Med Center in DC?

JennCa

DIS Veteran
My 8 month son has a rhabdoid tumor and am planning to to to the Children's National Medical Center in DC for a 2nd opinion/possible treatment later this month.

Has anyone ever been here? Anyone know the area? Any comments?

As you may have noticed, but I live in California so am not very familiar with the area.

Jenn

I live in the Washington area and unfortunately I too have had to take my son to Children's. While it is never a nice experience having to take our children to the hospital, I can highly reccomend the hospital and all of the staff that I had come in contact with there. They understand that the parents and kids are scared and they go out of their way to make it easier. The doctor's are all top notch in their fields.

So I can only give reccomendations to the Children's National Medical Center...I hope everything works out for you and your little one....My prayers and thoughts are with you and feel free to ask anything else you need to know....

I live just outside of DC and my son went there for a simple procedure when he was 10 months old. I highly recommend the place. The staff was fabulous. You will be fine. The are the hospital in is Northeast Washington DC. Not the "best" area. It is more residential (rowhouses, etc) than it is the working area of the city. I wouldn't think the area is "dangerous" but not one of the better areas. It isn't far from the Capitol and Union Station.

Thanks for the info.

Are there lots of restaurants close by? Does anyone know if there are drop in daycare facilities in that area? What about hotels?

I have an almost 4 year old that I have to figure out what to do with her just on ocassion. (just the important appointments when my hubby and I want to be together)

Thanks,
Jenn

Thanks for the info.

Are there lots of restaurants close by? Does anyone know if there are drop in daycare facilities in that area? What about hotels?

I have an almost 4 year old that I have to figure out what to do with her just on ocassion. (just the important appointments when my hubby and I want to be together)

Thanks,
Jenn

Gosh, from what I can remember of being right around that area, no there weren't "LOTS" of restaurants. I'm sure there are a few and some hotels, but this is not the "nice" area of Washington, DC. Again, it's not the worst, but also not one of the better places. As far as drop-in daycare, the hospital itself might have something set up for that or be able to direct you in that area. I'm sure there are lots of parents that come there in the same situation.

Have you tried contacting the hospital to figure some of this out. They can probably tell you the best/safest places to go.

Thanks,
Jenn

This should contain helpful info based on your questions.
http://www.dcchildrens.com/dcchildrens/forparents/visiting.aspx

For families from out of town or not familiar with the area around Children's National Medical Center, a concierge service is available. The Concierge can take care of everything from hotel accommodations to restaurant recommendations. Developed initially for families who have children rushed to Children's for our first class medical care, but find themselves in the middle of Washington without a toothbrush or bed to sleep in -- the concierge service is our way of reaching out to the entire family. When you come to Children's you know your child will be cared for medically - and now, you can be assured that we will care for you and the rest of your family as well. For more information about the concierge service or to contact someone for assistance, call 202-884-2220.

I hope all goes extremely well with your visit!:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter