Anyone book a night at 2 different resorts for the same night but only stay at one?

deedubb

Always Grumpy, except when at Disney!
Wondering if this would create any problems. I would like to book a week over New Years next year at my home resort but also book New Year's Eve at an Epcot resort just for the one night (if there is any availability at 7 months). We would stay there that night, then return to our home resort for the remainder of the vacation, since it would be at BLT and we always end our vacation at MK. I think this would be easier than constantly moving all of our stuff.

Anyone foresee any problems with this strategy?

Just make sure you make the name slightly different in the reservation. Maybe add a middle initial> Otherwise, the computer might glitch it out.

Agree with amccu18007 and would add that your only issue will probably be availability at 7 months. NYE is arguably the most popular night of the year for DVC, - it will be very unlikely that you will find availability at 7 months for any of the near-park resorts (BLT, VGF, Poly, BCV BWV, BRV & CCV). So be prepared to waitlist and hope for the best. Good luck

We have previously had issues when moving resorts - we had to manually check out of the first resort before our magic bands would work at the new one.

I would suggest not linking to MDE and getting a room card rather than bands for the 1 night stay to avoid issues :)

Thanks everyone. I did not even think about the magic band issue. That might pose a problem. I suppose I could always rent the points from someone for the one night and do it under my wife's name but I don't want to spend so much money on it. I'm not concerned about the $ if using my own points. Might have to ask a CM if this is possible.

We have previously had issues when moving resorts - we had to manually check out of the first resort before our magic bands would work at the new one.

I would suggest not linking to MDE and getting a room card rather than bands for the 1 night stay to avoid issues :)

Would another solution be to order a new set of bands that were not connected to to your MDE at all? Is that even possible?

I do this on occasion.
-I book the reservation under my DD’s name (even though she won’t be there), and then add my name, using my initials and last name.
-I do not do online check in or add the reservation on MDE.
-I do not customize or decline my Magic Band. At check in, I wil pick up either a plain, gray band or a key card.

I haven’t had any problems thus far.

Thanks everyone. I did not even think about the magic band issue. That might pose a problem. I suppose I could always rent the points from someone for the one night and do it under my wife's name but I don't want to spend so much money on it. I'm not concerned about the $ if using my own points. Might have to ask a CM if this is possible.

Zero reason you can't use your own points - that isn't the issue. You just don't want to have it under the same "you" as the other room. Use your initials or middle name or shortening of your own name and set up dummy profiles in MDE. It will be a second "you" and you can get MB's for the reservation that will work on the room but nothing else. You would just continue to use the MB's from your other room for tickets, charging etc.

Yep, we do this occasionally when we have some extra points. We like to stay at BWV and we sometimes rent a room at BCV for one nite of our stay so the kids can use the pool. We just use different names for everybody. Then we have 2 sets of Magic bands sent to the house. Sometimes we don't even ever go to the room. It's a long walk from the pool to the DVC rooms at BCV. The only thing you need to make sure of is that the primary guest has a credit card in their name. So if your name is John I would use Jon or Johnathan as the primary. Hopefully this works out for you OK.

Thanks everyone. I'm now thinking it would be best to rent the points from a BWV owner as I doubt I would get it for NYE with my own points at 7 months (guessing though as I really have no idea). We could manage a studio for the one night which is only 20 points so it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. That way, I would imagine I could just book it under my name and not attach it to MDE. I would not need anything else attached to it (DME, etc) and I wouldn't even need any other family members name attached to it (I wouldn't think). We would just sleep there the one night, then back to BLT.

Thanks everyone. I'm now thinking it would be best to rent the points from a BWV owner as I doubt I would get it for NYE with my own points at 7 months (guessing though as I really have no idea). We could manage a studio for the one night which is only 20 points so it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. That way, I would imagine I could just book it under my name and not attach it to MDE. I would not need anything else attached to it (DME, etc) and I wouldn't even need any other family members name attached to it (I wouldn't think). We would just sleep there the one night, then back to BLT.
The only reason you might want to add family members to the reservation is to get them MBs / key cards to have more than just you be able to access to the room and/or perhaps get a one night dining plan. If you get the deluxe plan, you get 3 TS credits - you could do a signature on NYE and then another TS on NY day or vice versa. Lots of possibilities. Could be a good value.

The only reason you might want to add family members to the reservation is to get them MBs / key cards to have more than just you be able to access to the room and/or perhaps get a one night dining plan. If you get the deluxe plan, you get 3 TS credits - you could do a signature on NYE and then another TS on NY day or vice versa. Lots of possibilities. Could be a good value.

They would already be on the other reservation (we'll be at BLT for a week) so they will already have MB's. They won't need door access to the one night we have at BWV as they will be with me at all times. We don't do the dining plan as it doesn't suit our eating style. Some days we do 2 TS and some days only 1 or none. We don't do a lot of snacks either as we are usually stuffed.

They would already be on the other reservation (we'll be at BLT for a week) so they will already have MB's. They won't need door access to the one night we have at BWV as they will be with me at all times. We don't do the dining plan as it doesn't suit our eating style. Some days we do 2 TS and some days only 1 or none. We don't do a lot of snacks either as we are usually stuffed.
OK, but NYE is crazy busy. You probably have a to-do list that includes making a plan re what to do if you get separated. (I'd put somebody else on the reservation to get a key card or MB just for that reason). YMMV.

OK, but NYE is crazy busy. You probably have a to-do list that includes making a plan re what to do if you get separated. (I'd put somebody else on the reservation to get a key card or MB just for that reason). YMMV.

We have never been separated before and we never intentionally split up to do different things. We lived through MK on Dec 25th this year, so we have seen busy :)

Just wanted to say what a great idea! Hope it all works out!

Just wanted to say what a great idea! Hope it all works out!

Thanks. Decided to do Disneyland instead since we did WDW twice in 2017, but definitely going to plan for this the following year at New Years.

Wow, I was planning on doing this same thing and had no inkling that I would have to be careful and set up a different name on the overlapped reservation! Thanks for this helpful info posters!

We did that, had a room at BLT for 2 weeks and decided to stay at AKL in the middle of the trip for one night, and then the next night at BWV, all booked all in the same name..OMG the mess it created. The system nearly melted down. It was horrible.
Lesson learnt. next time I will book one in the DH name and the other in mine. It nearly canceled our room at BLT, a complete mess. Magic bands every where, it was not a very relaxing experience :)
DH says never ever again.
YMMV.

We did that, had a room at BLT for 2 weeks and decided to stay at AKL in the middle of the trip for one night, and then the next night at BWV, all booked all in the same name..OMG the mess it created. The system nearly melted down. It was horrible.
Lesson learnt. next time I will book one in the DH name and the other in mine. It nearly canceled our room at BLT, a complete mess. Magic bands every where, it was not a very relaxing experience :)
DH says never ever again.
YMMV.

Wow, good to know! We decided just to stay at BWV instead. Not ideal for MK but we'll survive.

well, a funny thing happened on the way to........

so we had to cancel our first night at BLT due to flight changes, and now I have 14 borrowed points i need to burn during our 14 day stay.

but after our last attempt at doing the 2 rooms at a time, I am really scared to try it again.

I am the principle name on our main BLT booking, hubby is second, we haven't added a credit card to that resi, we normally add it at check in.

so do you recommend I use his name, and not add mine at all, until we actually check in?

Oh god, I feel my eye twitching as we speak, I'm thinking of OKW so he is close to the golf course at least one morning.

Any help, or step by step instructions (im good at following instructions) would be greatly appreciated.

sigh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!