Anyone been to Smugglers Cove?

Mainsail Minnie

Momketeer
Has anyone here been to Smugglers Cove in Tortola? Any tips on getting there and back, since it's reputed to be a challenge to drive to?

I haven't heard of it. Do you know why it's a challenge to drive to? That would make me nervous to try it. Tortola is hilly and curvy, so maybe that's why.

I haven't heard of it. Do you know why it's a challenge to drive to? That would make me nervous to try it. Tortola is hilly and curvy, so maybe that's why.
It's supposed to be a rough, hilly, partially unpaved road. DCL offers a Jeep excursion that I think stops there as one of its stops, but my ears can't handle riding in a Jeep. It's an insiders' secret type of beach with almost no amenities, but is supposed to be beautiful and pristine, with calm waters and no tacky tourist stuff or crowds, which is exactly what we want in the Caribbean.

Last edited:

We stopped there on our jeep excursion last winter. We were there for about an hour. We liked the jeep excursion and swimming at smugglers cove was fine, but I would never pick there for a beach day. It’s very small where you can swim without having a very rocky bottom, no bathrooms, a “bar” there that I would not trust to order anything from -it’s like an outdoor bar with no structure to it really, except a man that will make you drinks from a make shift bar that is really just a table. There was a lot of garbage and broken glass all around the “Bar” area too.
It was after the hurricane though so apparently they were rebuilding the bar and it use to be better.
Anyway, that was our experience there. Like I said it was fine for about an hour but I would never pick to just go there.

We stopped there on our jeep excursion last winter. We were there for about an hour. We liked the jeep excursion and swimming at smugglers cove was fine, but I would never pick there for a beach day. It’s very small where you can swim without having a very rocky bottom, no bathrooms, a “bar” there that I would not trust to order anything from -it’s like an outdoor bar with no structure to it really, except a man that will make you drinks from a make shift bar that is really just a table. There was a lot of garbage and broken glass all around the “Bar” area too.
It was after the hurricane though so apparently they were rebuilding the bar and it use to be better.
Anyway, that was our experience there. Like I said it was fine for about an hour but I would never pick to just go there.
Were the Jeeps on the Jeep excursion fairly loud, like motorcycles? I know some models are louder than others. I have very sensitive ears, but other than that the Jeep excursion looks fine.

I know there are almost no amenities at Smugglers Cove and I'm not looking for any. I also know it's a bit rocky in some areas & planned for us to wear water shoes. I'm mainly trying to avoid the tourist-type experience we had at Cane Garden Bay last time. That just wasn't for us as I prefer a secluded, back-to-nature type of beach.

Also, where else did the Jeep excursion take you? Thanks!

No, the Jeep’s were not loud at all. Nothing close to a motorcycle. They were Jeep wranglers.
Sounds like you are prepared for smugglers cove because water shoes are definitely needed! :)
Definitely not a tourist trap. Our jeep excursion was the only people there!
The jeep excursion was neat! You got to see the whole island. They stop at different points for pictures and they tell you over the radio what to be looking for and what side of the road. Very pretty island- Even with still needing to clean up from the hurricane! The views were amazing from all different sides of the island.
Basically an island tour with picture stops and about an hour at the beach.

Did you drive the jeep yourself? Our tablemates did a tour on Tortola and they said they started to feel queasy from the up, down, and curvy roads. I think they were in the open side "taxis". I would think the jeeps would be a lot better, especially if you get to drive(little more control)

It’s 4 to a Jeep unless you were a family of 3.
But groups of two were put together then you could switch off drivers at the different stops. We had 4 in our group so my DH drove the whole time. I didn’t get sick at all or did anyone on the excursion say anything about that. It is very hilly and curvy roads!! I stress very hilly and curvy but that is what makes for such amazing views too. I think you are right though, driving/riding in the jeep yourself would be much different than the taxi vans/ buses they have.
The funny thing to us was they have cows just roaming around. They walk along the side of the road or across the road and you wait for them. My DH asked who owned them and if they got out. The guy laughed and said no pens needs here- where are they going to go?! It’s a small island you just go out and walk around and look for them. It was very funny to everyone in our group so I guess we weren’t the only ones wondering :)
The guides drive their own jeeps and are very nice. The radio to communicate works great!

I didn’t see any taxis around smugglers cove area at all. If you go there on your own, I would suggest to make arrangements with that same taxi driver what time to pick you up so you don’t have to worry about that.
We would love to go back there. It was a mess still from the hurricane but we still really thought it was beautiful- they aren’t speedy with clean up as most islands aren’t- There was even still boats in palm trees when we went!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!