Anyone arrive middle of the night?

Kaitysmom

<font color=blue>My DD got picked as the Big Kahun
We're leaving Friday and hope to drive pretty much straight through - hoping to arrive after midnight on Saturday. We check in on Sunday but were hoping to park in the front FT Wilderness parking lot once we get there. We'd rather do that than stop at a rest area if at all possible Does anyone know if they'll allow this?

We have done this in the past, however since September 11th the guard shack is manned by Disney security and they log all incoming traffic, so i am not sure if this would be allowed.

I would reccomend calling the FW Front Desk and ask about this. Security is now very tight all over WDW. I have pulled in to the parking lot on occassion when arriving early in our RV. On at least one occasion I was asked to move along as it was 3 AM, long before check in. When then drove over to Goodings at Cross Road Plaza and parked in their lot for a few hours until we could check in. There is also a rest stop near the WDW exit on I4, but there is a sign that says "NO overnight camping". The Florida State Police do drive through there too.

Which direction are you coming from? We usually stop and sleep at the Flying J at the GA/FL border just south of Valdosta. 24 hour security and all the other rver's doing the same thing even made my 70 year-old mom feel secure.

88 days to go!

I just called Ft Wilderness and they referred me over to reservations and they said- no way! Oh well! We were really looking forward to waking up at WDW after our long ride. Thanks for the info on the Flying J - maybe we'll try that this time! Last year we stopped at a rest area just over the border. It was posted for no overnight parking - we were not the only ones doing this but you still feel uncomfortable, especially with a trailer! One more day to go!

Dont forget Walmart. They usually let us stay the night in their parking lot. We just go in and ask the manager and park in a far off corner. Their are two in the area the Orlando one is on John Young Pkwy and Kirkman and the other is in Kissimme on 192.

Yes, I think that goes for Walmart policy in general. They don't mind if you sleep in your camper for one night - if you park at the end of the lot! I think they think you will do some shopping while you're there! ;)

I have been reading this thread with interest! First of all, my BIL (who drives whenever we go on long trips) reminded me that we know of at least one WalMart that will not let you park overnight in their parking lot. There is a WalMart in Myrtle Beach, SC with signs posted "No overnight parking".

I want to know what you do if you get to FW before check in time. What is the earliest you've been able to check in? If you are too early for check in, can you park in the lot and go to the parks?

I have been reading this thread with interest! First of all, my BIL (who drives whenever we go on long trips) reminded me that we know of at least one WalMart that will not let you park overnight in their parking lot. There is a WalMart in Myrtle Beach, SC with signs posted "No overnight parking".

I want to know what you do if you get to FW before check in time. What is the earliest you've been able to check in? If you are too early for check in, can you park in the lot and go to the parks?

Walmart in general does not mind unfortunately some local governments do not allow this. and some of it stems from campground owners who fear losing business to walmart parking lots.

that is is Florida Law for no overnight parking in rest areas, parking lots, etc. due to the fact that Florida gets so much of it's income from tourism (we have no income tax). So if you want to sleep here, you gotta pay for it. bittersweet :(

It's a bummer I know, but I have seen exceptions (like in Jacksonville) along the Walmart lines that others have been discussing. Maybe cities farther from Orlando might have less strict Walmarts??

I think the suggestion of stopping in Georgia is great. A truck stop might be quite safe compared to a Walmart lot. At least at truck stops, truckers and travelers are constantly moving about. At a Walmart lot, I'd expect mostly sleepers.

BTW, I have arrived in FW at 3AM and set up (quietly) when we had a reservation for that day/night (in other words we were a very late arrival but had called ahead to let FW know that we wouldn't be arriving until the wee hours.) I believe that FW requests move-ins, move-outs between 7AM and 10PM if possible. BTW, have you ever seen a perky CM at 3AM? They don't quite make the description of perky but they do try.

Let us know what you do, OK?
Jax

We just returned from a long stay at FW. The wife and I spent some time at AKL, while my oldest and some of his friends from Florida stayed in the camper. We arrived after 11:00 pm and by the time we were done setting up it was after midnight; we were very quiet I hope. If you arrive after early evening hours, you check in at the main station rather than the island stations and the help inside is sometimes less than helpful since it appears the rookies are out. I guess you have to learn sometimes.

Since normal check-in time is fairly late I doubt they would allow you to check in before park opening hours. I did see many checking in between 7:00 and 8:00 in the morning and parking in the lot until they returned back from the park. In addition, you are allowed to park in the lot until park closing of the day of check-out which many did during our stay.

I also saw a couple of campers in the parking lot for more than a day, which led me to believe that some were extending their stay!!!??? Why anyone would do this is beyond me - to save $80.00? - I hope not. There are always some that try to push the limit and as a result we all end up being punished. I expect that if a lot of this type of behavior went on, we would no longer be allowed to set up in the parking lot before check-in or at the end the check out day.

Anyway, it would be nice for those who arrive very early to be able to stay in the lot so long as it isn't abusive to the system.

Tim.

YangYang, if you arrive at FW prior to the 1:00 check in, you might be able to get to your site depending on if it's available. If it's not, then they will let you check in and park your vehicle. We did this once and enjoyed FW for a few hours, then got into the car and went to our site with our trailer.

FW tries very hard to accomodate campers - they're very understanding that a lot of people travel very long distances and try to get you into your site when you arrive.

Hawk: Some of the campers you see are people who camped for awhile, then wanted to switch to another resort for a few nights OR go on the cruise - like we did on our last vacation! We camped at FW for a week, then went on the 7-day cruise. FW is very nice about letting you keep the camper in the parking lot while you're gone! :D

I arrived at almost midnite as a tent camper and no car as well.

Guest services was very accomodating. They took me to my campsite in a van and I got partially set up that first night within about 30 minutes, took my shower and just vegged in my chair for an hour staring at the full moon and watching the armadillos.

It was the perfect way to start my WDW vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter