Anyone affected by the Federal Government shut down?

Everyone uses government services in one form or another every day. Whether you will have a personal impact during a shutdown is another story.
I have no critical need and use no government service on a daily basis. I have not visited a federal government office or phoned, or emailed a federal government office in the past 5 years. There is nothing in my dealing with the federal government that could not wait weeks or months.

The federal government being shutdown will not effect me.

Other then being barred from accessing historical sites on Puerto Rico, I have NEVER been effected by any of the prior government shutdowns.

Except after a couple weeks, when the 4.4million people employed by the federal government don't get paid, you will feel the effects. The economy would crash and burn if 4.4 million people are unable to pay their bills, buy groceries, put gas in their cars. Don't kid yourself, this effects everyone.
There are currently 6.5 million unemployed people in the US who are unable to pay their bills, buy groceries, put gas in their cars.

Another 4.4 million temporary unemployed is just a drop in the bucket, a blip on the radar.

There will certainly be local impacts around areas of high federal government employment but I do not live in an area with even a low concentration of federal government workers who's reduced spending will even be noticed.

I don’t use any services of the federal government on a daily basis.

The government could be closed for months before I would notice.

The only time I noticed any of the government shutdowns was when I was on a cruise that stopped at Puerto Rico. The National Park Service runs most of the tourist places so they were all closed.
What about empathy for others that are not getting paid and the military

What about empathy for others that are not getting paid and the military
Just because I am not effected that means I have no empathy?

The title of the thread is: Anyone affected by the federal government shut down?

I was answering the question. I am not affected in any way.

I never said I didn't feel bad for the folks.

I have no critical need and use no government service on a daily basis. I have not visited a federal government office or phoned, or emailed a federal government office in the past 5 years. There is nothing in my dealing with the federal government that could not wait weeks or months.

The federal government being shutdown will not effect me.

Other then being barred from accessing historical sites on Puerto Rico, I have NEVER been effected by any of the prior government shutdowns.

You might want to read this article. It shows you how the government and government funded programs impact your life in ways you probably don't even think about. The fact that you can even access the internet and read this article (and post here on the Dis) is because of a government that allows it...

http://governmentisgood.com/articles.php?aid=1

You might want to read this article. It shows you how the government and government funded programs impact your life in ways you probably don't even think about. The fact that you can even access the internet and read this article (and post here on the Dis) is because of a government that allows it...

But this isn't affected by a shutdown... ...

They have to work with no pay - totally effected by this

Active military were paid on the 15th, like normal. Their next payday is Feb 1. They are not working right now without getting paid. IF the shutdown continues past Feb 1 and there is no emergency bill to fund their paychecks then we can say they are working without pay.

What does suck is like Tina stated, the families of those soldiers who lose their lives before the shutdown is ended have to wait for funeral services and the death gratuity.

Where did I say that I was unaware of the role, good or bad, the federal government plays in my life?

It would take a several month long shutdown before I personally saw the affect of a shutdown.

For me, this is a non event.

This is another good reason to not plan on vacations in the US. We always have loved the National Parks, but just don't feel good planning a vacation around visiting them when our government could just decide to shut down and suddenly all the plans are ruined. We'll take as much of our tourist dollars elsewhere to countries with more functional government. The inconvenience of a ruined vacation pales in comparison to the people who won't be getting paid, but just one more thing to think about.

Every time the government shuts down, my reaction is the same: PATHETIC that these "representatives of the people" cannot do their jobs. Who I think is MOST at fault varies depending on the shutdown, but I am always appalled that the military is affected -- that those who protect us go without pay in these situations. I agree with pp who said that most Americans won't notice for quite a long time -- that's true. That doesn't mean that some people aren't very negatively impacted, and that this isn't an awful repercussion.

This is another good reason to not plan on vacations in the US. We always have loved the National Parks, but just don't feel good planning a vacation around visiting them when our government could just decide to shut down and suddenly all the plans are ruined. We'll take as much of our tourist dollars elsewhere to countries with more functional government. The inconvenience of a ruined vacation pales in comparison to the people who won't be getting paid, but just one more thing to think about.
That seems extreme to me. Some perspective suggests that this is quite an uncommon occurrence. Total up number of days government has been shut down over X years, and it has to be extremely small.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that the #1 job of Congress is to pass a budget. They have failed to do that but that does not mean they are not doing their job.

Their #2 job is to represent the ideals, beliefs, and morals of those who elected them. In this case that is what both sides are doing. They are holding firm to what they believe those who elected them want done.

Oddly both sides are doing their job by not finishing their job.

Assuming the morons in DC haven’t acted, I’ll be furloughed. A little thought-of downside to furloughs and the sequestration furlough is we lose the days toward time-in-grade and towards retirement credit, too. It has a lasting impact.
I’m DOD. I’ll have to go in Monday for “orderly transition” and to sign my letter. I think I’ll wear my pajamas.

My office was joking about everyone wearing onesie to sign their paperwork. Someone else wanted to wear their beer costume from Halloween... we went a little loopy on Friday preparing for this since my office is in charge of the contractors on base.

Someone did say we weren’t allowed to wear pjs, so now I’m in a group text message chain with my coworkers trying to figure out what to wear....

I ironically was going to take sick leave some days this week for physical therapy so at least I’m not losing that?

That seems extreme to me. Some perspective suggests that this is quite an uncommon occurrence. Total up number of days government has been shut down over X years, and it has to be extremely small.

It is. DH has worked for the FED for 3 years. This is the first shut down he's experienced. I think the last was 2013.

Where did I say that I was unaware of the role, good or bad, the federal government plays in my life?

It would take a several month long shutdown before I personally saw the affect of a shutdown.

For me, this is a non event.

I get that it doesn't necessarily affect you personally and get your point. Having just spent the last week horrified and upset about the story in the news about the 13 kids with crazy parents that have absolutely no relationship to me, I can pretty much guarantee you that I would be affected by this news story even if it didn't touch me personally. How can something that affects so many people be a non event?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter