Anyone affected by the Federal Government shut down?

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
I live in a DC suburb (lots of federal workers and contractors), and people around me are panicked. My family will not be immediately in trouble, but some of my neighbors may be. Weird atmosphere around here today.

I live in a DC suburb (lots of federal workers and contractors), and people around me are panicked. My family will not be immediately in trouble, but some of my neighbors may be. Weird atmosphere around here today.

Yes.DH is a federal employee. Was told today to listen to the news. If no deal reached by Monday, log in and look for an agency email with further instructions.

Fortunately, we have 'some' savings and are not pay check to pay check right now and can wait it out for a little while without too much of a pinch.

My nephew is an enlisted service member with soon to be 6 kids. His wife is ranting all over Facebook about the situation. I feel for them some what, but you have got to put $ aside no matter what you make. We did it with tight budgets and 4 young kids once upon a time.

I thought they're saying active duty military wouldn't be affected. Anyway, even if you don't live paycheck to paycheck, the uncertainty is scary.

Last edited:

Yes and so annoyed. Had already lost pay when furloughed the last time. And not repayed either.

You must be referring to sequestration and not furlough. I don't believe there has ever been a furlough where federal workers and the military were not retroactively paid.

The sequestration was a budget-saving maneuver so people were required to stay home one day a pay period unpaid for several weeks.

I will be furloughed.

While anything is possible these days, history has shown that both military and civilians are retroactively paid once a budget or continuing resolution is passed. I realize that Congress must vote to approve that so it's not a given, but I'm hoping that precedence is followed.

Unless something happens tonight or tomorrow, my instructions are to show up Monday morning to sign my furlough letter.

My son-in-law is military and he has to still work, even without the paycheck. They are in military housing, so they don't need to worry about rent or utilities, thank goodness. Their car loan, loans and credit card are all through Navy Fed, and they received a letter today from NF, saying they would work with people and not count payments as late or any penalties, plus they can get a $500 0% interest loan until backpay comes in. That will cover their cable/internet and insurance bills.

We'll help them with gas and food, as much as we can. The food banks around their area put out notices that they need to fill pantries and need more donations ASAP, to prepare for the influx of military families needing help.

My friend works at the FDA and she got her "we're not working" letter Friday. Luckily they have a good bit in savings, and the husband works a decent job, but they are going to have to dip into that savings quite a bit if the shutdown goes on for more than a couple of weeks.

I had both happen to me. Last time, sequestered and military was repaid, but civilians were not. Lost 7 days of pay. So I would not hold my breath with this Congress.

Ditto here.

I will be furloughed.

While anything is possible these days, history has shown that both military and civilians are retroactively paid once a budget or continuing resolution is passed. I realize that Congress must vote to approve that so it's not a given, but I'm hoping that precedence is followed.

Unless something happens tonight or tomorrow, my instructions are to show up Monday morning to sign my furlough letter.

Honestly, we have savings earmarked for college tuition, so we can live off that for a while, but we will NEED that money for tuition at some point. I hope there's back pay.

We don't even know. The first few times this came up, everyone scrambled for a "plan." Now they just keep going and if it happens they'll deal with it.

My guess is that DH will work with no paycheck. He was there for a half day today. I'm sure on Monday they'll have a big meeting.

My friend is a Coast Guard chaplain. This was his weekend to serve and he was told not to come in.

I have family who are military. My nephew said he is paid on the 1st and 15th of each month. When I texted him this morning and asked if he needed anything, he said no. They were paid last week. He said it's doubtful the shutdown will last until February 1 so they will be good to go then as well. He doesn't understand why people are saying the military won't be getting paid.

I work under HUD, at least for new we seem to be ok, everyone still working and getting pay checks

My husband, brother, and dad are all DoD Civil Service employees. DH still has to work regardless of pay. His next payday is this this Thursday (24th) and I expect it will be partial pay up to the 19th. Because he still has to work, he will get back pay. Some DoD employees, like my brother, will not be allowed to work. Others like DH must work regardless. It depends if they are deemed emergency essentials and a few other factors.

Our military retirement checks and VA disability checks will still come on the 1st. We are both retired military and both get VA disability. I also work for a private company now that is not impacted by the shutdown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!