Anybody have a poor experience at Carthay?

BrokeMack

DIS Veteran
We had a Carthay Circle lunch that took over two hours on Thursday. It took over an hour to get everything after we ordered, half the food was lukewarm and our waiter got really timid and awkward once he realized. While they took 20% off our order, we still spent over $90 on three people and we never saw a manager. I would've tried to speak with one, but at the over two hour mark I just wanted to get back to the park. As we were leaving for our afternoon break I got asked to take a Disney dining survey which at this point I was happy to, so they got an earful. On the bright side, our Blue Bayou dinner that night was awesome.

This can't be common or the restaurant wouldn't have such a great reputation, but has anyone else had issues like this?

I have never heard of anything like that there. I have heard of people having less than wonderful experiences with their dining WOC package, but nothing bad from a regular lunch there. And nothing ever to the extreme you experienced.

I woud email Disney and tell them everything about it. Be sure to include dates, times, names. Everything you can remember. With what you described, the meal should have been free and the manager should have sought you out and personally apologized.

I can see not wasting any more of your day there waiting to speak with the manager. But now that you are home, let them have it. That kind of treatment should never be tolerated.

Happily, no. It would really disappoint us to have a poor experience as it's our favorite restaurant. I'm glad you let Disney know something went wrong.

We ate there once a few years ago. It was nice. Beautiful place with so much Disney nostalia. But the service was "meh" and the food was good, but not fantastic (especially for the price). Our food didn't come out all together--some entrees were *way* later than others. I think they ended up taking the late meals off the bill. I'm glad we tried it but we have no burning desire to go again.

We did the PtN package a few weeks ago and the lounge and dinner portion were a completely mediocre experience...and that is being generous. Lounge service was chaotic and we were given what we know now was misinformation on what we needed to order for the purple poison apple glow cube - that stuff happens, just pointing out where we thought the service didn't live up to the prices. They charged $16 for a drink I didn't want when I could have ordered something else but was not allowed to was a bummer. Dinner service was slow with a server who seemed as if she was bothered that we were there. Food was "fine"- don't remember one thing we had to eat. We had eaten at Napa Rose Chef's Counter two nights earlier for the same price....sorry, if I am being honest it's $1 difference, I think. Night and day in our experiences. Fantastic food, top notch service, and an unbelievable experience at Napa Rose. We enjoyed the seats for the PtN parade but have no desire to go back to Carthay, their prices in no way reflect the level of service or food we experienced.

Last edited:
My one dining experience at Carthay was somewhat disappointing because the host chose to seat a solo gentleman at the 2 top table directly next to our small table - even when we were the only 2 tables seated and there were plenty of other open small tables nearby... Very awkward for all... The food was great, but the experience was flawed.

My kids (13 and 10) really like Carthay, so we keep returning for dinner once a year during our summer trip, but... DH and my inlaws, with whom we often go to DLR in the fall, are not fans. And honestly, after yet another "eh" dinner this summer, I tend to agree. At least, though, when we are with DH and/or the in-laws we end up with a decent table. If it is just me and the kids, it seems like we always get put at terrible tables, even when the restaurant is nowhere near full. (I've asked to be reseated, though I just sighed and gave up when it happened again this summer.) My kids are well-dressed, well-behaved, and have eaten at good restaurants since they were toddlers, and I've never had this happen at Napa Rose, Steakhouse 55, etc., so I just don't get it. (We've had it happen it Ralph Brennan's, too, but when I've said we'd wait for a better table--for instance, on the balcony with a view, they have always been accommodating. We tend to eat late-ish because that's when we eat at home (reservations anywhere between 7:30 and 9:00), and never are walk-ins, yet it seems like they hold better tables for parties of all adults at Carthay. In addition, I find myself begging the waitstaff not to rush the meal. (Again, I get that maybe some kids aren't used to long, late meals, but at Steakhouse or Napa Rose, we just don't get rushed like that.) Maybe it's just been coincidence that it's happened so many times, but given that the food is, in my opinion, good but not great, I'm leaning toward not returning to Carthay
next summer.

We did the PtN package a few weeks ago and the lounge and dinner portion were a completely mediocre experience...and that is being generous. Lounge service was chaotic and we were given what we know now was misinformation on what we needed to order for the purple poison apple glow cube - that stuff happens, just pointing out where we thought the service didn't live up to the prices. They charged $16 for a drink I didn't want when I could have ordered something else but was not allowed to was a bummer. Dinner service was slow with a server who seemed as if she was bothered that we were there. Food was "fine"- don't remember one thing we had to eat. We had eaten at Napa Rose Chef's Counter two nights earlier for the same price....sorry, if I am being honest it's $1 difference, I think. Night and day in our experiences. Fantastic food, top notch service, and an unbelievable experience at Napa Rose. We enjoyed the seats for the PtN parade but have no desire to go back to Carthay, their prices in no way reflect the level of service or food we experienced.

Edited to say: I totally didn't mean to quote my own post - hahahahaha!

My kids (13 and 10) really like Carthay, so we keep returning for dinner once a year during our summer trip, but... DH and my inlaws, with whom we often go to DLR in the fall, are not fans. And honestly, after yet another "eh" dinner this summer, I tend to agree. At least, though, when we are with DH and/or the in-laws we end up with a decent table. If it is just me and the kids, it seems like we always get put at terrible tables, even when the restaurant is nowhere near full. (I've asked to be reseated, though I just sighed and gave up when it happened again this summer.) My kids are well-dressed, well-behaved, and have eaten at good restaurants since they were toddlers, and I've never had this happen at Napa Rose, Steakhouse 55, etc., so I just don't get it. (We've had it happen it Ralph Brennan's, too, but when I've said we'd wait for a better table--for instance, on the balcony with a view, they have always been accommodating. We tend to eat late-ish because that's when we eat at home (reservations anywhere between 7:30 and 9:00), and never are walk-ins, yet it seems like they hold better tables for parties of all adults at Carthay. In addition, I find myself begging the waitstaff not to rush the meal. (Again, I get that maybe some kids aren't used to long, late meals, but at Steakhouse or Napa Rose, we just don't get rushed like that.) Maybe it's just been coincidence that it's happened so many times, but given that the food is, in my opinion, good but not great, I'm leaning toward not returning to Carthay
next summer.
Thanks for this review. I went 5 years ago with my husband and enjoyed this. Was thinking of going again in December with my 4 year old too but if this is the way they treat tables with kids, I’d prefer just to go somewhere else....

I gotta' say that the food I've had has always been fabulous. We once got a table we didn't like right by the entrance and they moved us when we asked. We did get stuck (2 adults) once in the back room where it does seem like there are an inordinate amount of children. My favorite experience was them putting my db and I in a private room with what felt like a private server for a birthday dinner. Now that was absolutely magical.

We had lunch at CCR this past Friday (10/12), and it was a very good experience. Asked for the main dining room and received a nice table with a great server (one of our favorites -- she's great!). Food was very good -- the menu has recently changed over for fall, so our server made some spot on recommendations. We've had some bumpy experiences here in the past, but have spoken up and been moved or sent in very specific comments later which have been further addressed over the phone when someone from Guest Experiences has called back. CCR has always been good about workng with my allergies and food issues.
Just a note: for anyone wanting to order the Halloween Time purple poison apple glow cube (noting that a pp had a problem with this), the drink that this comes with is the Poison Appletini ($17), but you can order the glow cube with non-alcoholic drinks (e.g. wildberry lemonade or a Sprite). But you will still pay $17, no matter what drink you order if you want the glow cube.

We've eaten there 3 times.

Dinner in June 2016 was a fabulous experience - amazing food and service.

Lunch in December 2016 was disappointing - seated right near the door to the kitchen (where every waiter going in or out yelled "door!" Plus, the waitress was mediocre at best and then messed up my order and acted like it was my fault and it was a big bother for her to fix it.

Dinner in June 2017. I ordered an appetizer, saying if they can't make it work for my allergies, please let me know. About 45 minutes later, my husband's soup showed up, but nothing for me and of course, the runner knew nothing about it. Then about an hour after that, we finally got our entrees (after flagging down another waiter, since our waitress never came back to our section in all that time). The people seated about 20 minutes after us had their drinks, appetizers, entrees and desserts and were gone before we ever got our entrees.

We don't have any desire to return.

Thanks for this review. I went 5 years ago with my husband and enjoyed this. Was thinking of going again in December with my 4 year old too but if this is the way they treat tables with kids, I’d prefer just to go somewhere else....
We took our (then) four-year-old for lunch last December and we got a great table and they treated her like a queen. The waitress even brought a little extra dish so my daughter could "share" her noodles with the stuffed animal that she'd brought along. We went back for Mother's Day this year and our service was a little lackluster (not downright bad, but kind of "meh"), but I didn't notice any weirdness about having a kid with us.

So, while it may be inconsistent service overall, I wouldn't avoid it specifically because you'd be bringing a child.

The waitstaff has been great but the hosts where we check in always seems totally chaotic and lost, even though we have reservations. I did the survey after eating there twice with detailed descriptions of the check in process. Hopefully, they were able to learn and improve.

We have probably eaten there maybe a dozen times (double that if you count lounge) over the last 5 years and Carthay is the most consistent restaurant resort wide as far as great food and great service for us. We have never had a bad experience in any sense there. I do not recall any difference in seating or service when it was just my Wife and me or with our kids. I'm sorry some of you did not have a great experience, it happens everywhere once in a while (Napa Rose for us once), some places more often (Wine Country Trattoria-we will never eat there again-but still go to the terrace), but we have not had those experiences here. I am glad you sent in an email, direct feedback can be very helpful.

I took the family there for lunch a few years back, just so we can say we ate there at this main Icon of DCA. The inside was very beautiful and ornate. Very classy. The service was slow, for sure. And I expected more from the food. I guess I'm not a "fancy" eater. I had the shortrib something which was OK. But my wife has some kind of ravioli with an orange sauce (before she went Gluten free). She hated it. I tried it and probably hated it more than her. After that, we never went back. Too much money for food we didn't like and service that moved at government speed.

My husband and I ate there during our trip last December and we were so excited for it, it was our big splurge for the trip. There was nothing terrible about it, but we agreed we would never bother to return. We weren't impressed and regretted the big spend. We were seated in one of the side rooms which was uncomfortably quiet, and everything about the food and service was just "meh." At every point in the meal, we seemed to wait quite a while, too. Next time, I'd like to try Napa Rose instead.

3 people for just over $90 is a steal at this place. Sorry you had a bad experience, but taking 20% off the check was a nice gesture of apology by the manager (even though you didn't speak with one, they are the ones who do the bill comps, so a manager was made aware of the situation).

Next time, if things are taking too long, ask to speak to the manager directly from your table. Ask ANY server, doesn't have to be yours.

I've had nothing but exceptional experiences at this place, so I would write this off as a fluke and try again if you feel so inclined. It's not everyone favorite style of restaurant, or food, though, so maybe it just wasn't for you. I will say, they purposely pace this meal slowly. It's meant to be more like a fine dining experience.

We had lunch reservations here last Saturday. I thought the service was good and ambience was outstanding. We tried to order the Poison Apple-tini (the whole reason we came here) but the server said they were sold out due to they underestimated the demand for the glow in the dark ice cube. For appetizers, we ordered the Carthay Signature Fried Biscuits which were excellent and the Fire Cracker Duck Wings which I thought was "meh". My wife and I split the Angus burger which had pickled cucumber and Hawaiian style roll which is a great combination. We would like to try the Carthay Lounge next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter