Anybody ever been on volcano helicopter tour out of Hilo? Love it? Hate it?

CaoilinnsMom

Mouseketeer
I read such mixed reviews and we are doing so many things on this trip, I am having trouble pulling the trigger. We are spending 5 days on the Big Island, 4 on Maui, then 5 on Oahu. Is it work the $700 to view the volcanic activity from the air?

I did it in 2016, before the big eruption. We went with Blue Hawaiian (https://www.bluehawaiian.com/en/bigisland/tours). I think we must have done their Big Island Spectacular, because the price on that trip looks more familiar. It was well worth it for us. We were able to see the lava lake at the top of Pu'u o'o and some slowly flowing lava, which were pretty cool. Our pilot was very knowledgeable about the area and the volcano. From the air, we could see the rift zone, waterfalls, and the 5 volcanoes on the island.

My vacations are about experiences. As I tell my kids, you can't take away an experience someone has had. So, if there is something that sounds cool, we try to take the opportunity to do it. I know it is expensive, but you may never have the opportunity to see something like that again.

DH and my mom did one in 2018 and said it was absolutely worth every penny they paid. The volcano was in full eruption at that time.

Before they did the tour, they dropped me off at a pool so I could get a swim workout in. They flew over the pool and got pictures of me swimming haha!

ETA, they did Blue Hawaiian as well. We've also used Blue Hawaiian on Kauai. Well, DH has used them on both islands. I don't do helicopters anymore.

Last edited:
My family used Blue Hawaiian as well, just before the big eruption in April 2018. We did an approximate 1-hr tour...totally worth it!

We did one a long time ago but it was out of Kona.

It was pretty spectacular and the lava was only flowing, not erupting. We saw one section that was flowing into the ocean and the colour was incredible. As it hit the ocean it made a compact steamy cloud and I remember the pilot saying how lucky we were to actually get to see a good flow that day. When the lava hits the water it starts to cool into what eventually becomes part of the island so you are essentially witnessing the at area of the island being being developed. I am sure that is a line he tells everyone but it stuck with me. It was pretty amazing.

We also flew into Waipio Valley and saw some amazing waterfalls too.

The best helicopter tours are "doors off"! I could actually feel the heat from the lava at 3,000 ft. I also did a boat tour of ocean entry. A bucket was thrown over the side to retrieved ocean water which was at about hot tub temperature.

The value depends on if any eruption is visible, which is impossible to predict.

-Paul

We also did doors off to feel the heat; loved it even though there was very little activity that day and would do it again in a heartbeat!

just read a review where the person sitting next to the open door agreed
We did a ride over Niagara (Canadian side) a few years ago & I left welts on my husband’s arm. Maybe we’ll just do a land based tour. Or the Spa is more my level 😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter