Any women RVers?

Debbie in Townsville

Mouseketeer
I need some reassurance from women RVers! For the last few months, we've been planning to rent an RV and drive from Maryland to FW in Feb 2003 so we can bring our older dog with us. DH is military and found out he'll have a 4 month temporary duty assignment in Virginia during the time we were planning on going. He MIGHT be able to get a pass for a long weekend over President's Weekend, but we won't know for sure until a week or two before that.

I have the crazy idea that I can rent the RV myself. We were going to get a larger 25foot one, but if it will just me and the kids (and the dog) going alone, then I'll get one that is 20foot. The plan is: Pick up the RV in the early afternoon, come home and load it up, leave that night. If DH gets his pass, we'll pick him up on the way down and he can fly home a few days later and I'll drive home alone. If he can't, then it will be just me and the kids for the whole trip.

Any women RV alone? How hard is it to drive a 20'-22' motorhome? Will I be able to set it up myself?

The kids are 7yo & 11yo, so I'm not worried about making the trip alone with them. I've tent camped with them without DH, and I've made long drives without him. But doing it in a motorhome never having driven one before is a little intimidating! I will get some practise driving before we hit the road, because the RV rental place is a 45min. drive from us.

(Geez - all this for the dog!)

Hey, my sister drives our 31 footer everywhere we go! I have driven it a little so I know I can if I ever have to. Except for being wider it feels like driving a large van or pickup. I don't think you'll have a problem with a 20 footer. Just make sure you listen when they tell you how to do the hookups, but if you have trouble when it is time to hookup yourself there will be someone around to help you out!

You can do it. Heck, you are a military wife--you can do anything! (I was an army brat--I know!).

Give me a yell if you have any other questions.

Hi my M&D started with a 28' (mom drove a bit) moved up to a 32' She hated that one but so did my dad they only kept it 6 mos. Design flaw. The 28' she could handle. She is very timid person wont even drive mu full size Suv. If my mom can do it anyone can. Her sister is an agressive driver anyway and drives their 30'. I guess what i'm saying is look at what you drive at home and do you tend to give easily when pushed. I drive our 24' camper and Sequoia total about 40'. I personally think the straight vehicle would be easier and my DH agrees. GO FOR IT Have a great trip.

Love your plans! Try to stick to 'em. Sometimes crazy plans to meet up with your military spouse can make for the best trips!! (Former Navy wife here).

And good for you, thinking of the dog! With all the time you'll want to spend in the campground anyway, it should be easy to entertain the dog and keep him happy too. (Also makes for not-so-long-days in the parks!)

Sounds like your husband is going to have one strong, powerful, independent woman to fall in love with even more!

Let us know how it goes, OK?
Jax

Thanks for everyone's kind and supportive replies! The trip is a GO, even if picking up DH on the way down doesn't work out.

I checked at the library, and they have several RV books and videos. I'll get those to booster my self-confidence. DH & I are going to visit the rental place to get a better idea of the size.

Hi Debbie,

I am also a military spouse, (Army). We now have a 30 ft 5th wheel, but when we had the 25ft TT, I took the kids on short trips when hubby had to work. My parents have a 26 ft RV that drives like a van, or a large pickup. I think I would be compfortable taking that on a longer trip.
In this lifstyle, if we wait for the hubby's, we would never go anywhere! By the way, I'm so jealouse that your in Maryland! We are currently in Ca., but want to get back to the East coast. We are from NJ, and this is just to far. Plus it's to far from Fort Wilderness, hehe.
Good luck!
Robin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter