Any updates on VIP tours and SWGE?

I guess I still don't understand the economics of this type of decision by Disney...
If the new land had a noticeable amount of plad vest groups jumping the line constantly other guests would take notice and fast. Especially because of what those guests are going to have to go through themselves to get there. Letting the hullabaloo die down first sounds like a much safer bet for Guest Satisfaction and it’s not like Disney isn’t selling lots of VIP tours without SWGE anyway. I am shocked honestly that they’re allowing them in as early as they are but like you said- economics (business). It’s all a balance for Disney.

Just for perspective, when I got to do a VIP Tour last year I asked our tour guide how many guides are out on any given day and what is the max. At that time I think he said they could do up to 70 in one day.

There are plenty of people who would be willing to pay for access. 70x10=700 people a day potentially. That is not insignificant for an entire land.

Just for perspective, when I got to do a VIP Tour last year I asked our tour guide how many guides are out on any given day and what is the max. At that time I think he said they could do up to 70 in one day.

There are plenty of people who would be willing to pay for access. 70x10=700 people a day potentially. That is not insignificant for an entire land.
NYE was 82. Its gone up in recent months....

From what I am understanding, it is going to be handled similar to Peter Pan and Launchbay. Guides will call ahead and secure a time to enter.

I've been saying for years I wish they'd jack up the price enough that it would calm down crowds, and I totally acknowledge that's super elitist and 1 percenter of me.

Funny how I agree with this view more and more as I get older and better able to afford it. The other day I paid to upgrade a room at DLH to a pool view and I felt dirty, like I deserve the guillotine for such shameful and unforgivable waste. But I did it.

I would have hated this idea when I was younger, but then again when I was younger the utopia was free for everyone in the form of a real offseason. I remember taking a trip midweek during December in the early 90s and the park had those perfect festive crowd levels. It's wasn't spooky abandoned theme park, but everything was accessible. No lines at the ticket booths or front gates. Every ride had a 10 minute wait or less, with most rides being all-day walk ons. Every restaurant had tables available, including walking in to Blue Bayou. And the park looked great decorated for Christmas (though it didn't have all the Christmas extras it does today). Disneyland has never been more delightful than during those old offseasons. It's like the first ten minutes after rope drop, except all day long.

Those are the crowds I'd like to see again, but not even their paid parties (like Halloween parties) don't come close to that. I don't think it is possible to jack up prices high enough to lower the crowds that much. Not unless you get to $1,000 per day, which would be a PR nightmare.

Perception is crazy. Earlier this year when they did the big price increase, it seemed like so many people were shocked and unhappy and vowing not to return... but the parks seem as busy as ever so far this year and will probably be even busier still once SW:GE opens (and then RotR and then Superhero Land and so on).

They don’t increase prices to lower crowds. They increase prices because they know crowds are going to increase anyway!

I just wonder what happens to all those people who claim to be “priced out” because if they really are no longer going, then someone else is taking their place PLUS at least a fraction of another person to account for an increase in attendance. Where are all these people coming from as prices continue to increase?!?

And don’t get me wrong, I was hoping for a paid preview. I mean, it probably wouldn’t have cost more than a hotel room, which I got for the SW:GE reservation. I guess it is a sort of paid preview in a way that also helps hotel attendance. Two birds, one stone, maybe.

And don’t get me wrong, I was hoping for a paid preview. I mean, it probably wouldn’t have cost more than a hotel room, which I got for the SW:GE reservation. I guess it is a sort of paid preview in a way that also helps hotel attendance. Two birds, one stone, maybe.
I was estimating a preview would be about $750 per person. I still think there may be paid events. Probably when ROTR is ready.

Disney is expensive but if you compare it to travel to many other famous destinations it's actually quite reasonable.

The question for us is one of value. Arguably, a vacation needs to be relaxing and fun. Disney provides tons of fun but zero relaxation (to us). We also don't care for the way it handles crowds.
So the price thing is not so much a factor as is the total experience and we feel that has gone down hill over the last ten years.
For us that means rather than going at least once or twice a year, we'll go every once every five years (maybe) depending on Disney's performance. The places we go instead are more expensive but the value is better.

Last edited:

Disney is expensive but if you compare it to travel to many other famous destinations it's actually quite reasonable.

The question for us is one of value. Arguably, a vacation needs to be relaxing and fun. Disney provides tons of fun but zero relaxation (to us). We also don't care for the way it handles crowds.
So the price thing is not so much a factor as is the total experience and we feel that has gone down hill over the last ten years.
For us that means rather than going at least once or twice a year, we'll go every once every five years (maybe) depending on Disney's performance. The places we go instead are more expensive but the value is better.
I totally agree with this. We just finished our last trip on our annual passes and we are taking a long break from all things Disney for the foreseeable future. I’m excited for Stars Wars land....excited to hear about it from my friends and excited to look at pictures of it online. Not planning on checking it out myself for at least a couple of years. I’ve had a love of Disneyland for the last 7 years. It brought me great joy to spend time there with my friends and family. After my 6th trip in the last year (on our annual passes) I’m so ready for a break. Disneyland is great, I guess I’ve just reached my fill of it for now. It’s a much more crowded experience than it was when I started going in 2012 (just prior to Cars Land opening) and I definitely foresee it becoming even more crowded after SWL. We have a lot of fun there and can afford it but isn’t a relaxing vacation and I’m ready to spend more time on otheee vacations. We had a great time this last week but I was happy to go home and not sad to leave or sad that it’s my last trip on my passes.

We have booked a VIP tour for June 28. I have not received any updated pricing or info on SWGE yet. This is our first and probably only trip to DL with our kids for the forseeable future, and so it *could* be worth it for us depending on the actual pricing and access. If the prices are astronomical and don't include SWGE access, we would not do it. We also only have 2 days in the park. If we were going for a longer time period, we would probably not consider this either. I will gladly update when I find out more!

We have booked a VIP tour for June 28. I have not received any updated pricing or info on SWGE yet. This is our first and probably only trip to DL with our kids for the forseeable future, and so it *could* be worth it for us depending on the actual pricing and access. If the prices are astronomical and don't include SWGE access, we would not do it. We also only have 2 days in the park. If we were going for a longer time period, we would probably not consider this either. I will gladly update when I find out more!
Expect the price to be $600 an hour, minimum 7 hours per day. It should include some version of access to SW:GE. No one is sure right now. What *I* expect will be we will be offered a boarding time, and the guide will need to call ahead to arrange.

Expect the price to be $600 an hour, minimum 7 hours per day. It should include some version of access to SW:GE. No one is sure right now. What *I* expect will be we will be offered a boarding time, and the guide will need to call ahead to arrange.

I just received an email with that pricing. Honestly, not as bad as I was expecting, but still pretty steep. Decisions... Decisions...

Interesting! Their website says $425-$600 but if it's been $600 for the better part of a year you'd hope they'd update that. Disney IT strikes again. Thankfully we have 6 months to adjust our budget :) Maybe we'll just do one longer day instead of two 7-hour days.

Interesting! Their website says $425-$600 but if it's been $600 for the better part of a year you'd hope they'd update that. Disney IT strikes again. Thankfully we have 6 months to adjust our budget :) Maybe we'll just do one longer day instead of two 7-hour days.
It was $600 last summer and Christmas. I know it was lower in Oct, thinking it was $500. I haven't heard $425 in a long time. I usually add $25-40 an hour to the budget for the tip for the guide.

From Disney:

Ø Our VIP Tours will have “limited” access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge starting 6/24/2019

Ø Our VIP Tours will not have access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge 5/31/2019 – 6/23/2019

From Disney:

Ø Our VIP Tours will have “limited” access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge starting 6/24/2019

Ø Our VIP Tours will not have access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge 5/31/2019 – 6/23/2019

That seems harsh, considering the price of the tour. I think they should discount the tour during the reservation only period because you are not getting VIP access to the whole park (because SWGE will then be open, and you can’t get in there). I am certain they are not offering a discount, but they should!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter