Any tips for making the most of a trip for partially blind friend?

bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Yay!! after 18 months of chemo, brain surgeries, and radiation, the Docs have given the go-ahead for me to take my DD's best friend (40) (and my DD of course) on a last-minute, 4 night Christmas Party trip!! Her brain cancer is in total remission, but took her full sight in one eye and partial sight in the other. We will definitely rent a wheelchair in the parks, (staying at Ft Wilderness Cabins and have rented a golf cart for the resort) - she has hardly any sight in the dark and is still struggling with some fatigue. We are doing only a few rides each day and already have FP+, and she can wait in the lines in her wheelchair, so we probably won't even ask for DAS. I am wondering if there is any help available for shows, parades, (candle light processional, MVMCP), etc to help her see and enjoy as much as she can - or just any tips in general from those who travel with sight impaired guests. I have done a few trips with wheelchairs, but never with very limited vision. TIA for any hints and tips. We are all beyond excited just to be there, together, soaking in some much needed Christmas spirit - and celebrating her journey!!

If you are going the MVMCP do the second parade much less crowded and you can get a good spot up front. ( just find one 10-15 minute beforehand you should be fine)

candlelight possession ( I did this once) and most of it is just hearing the person talk, You can whisper things to her like they are walking in holding a light up candles and are standing on riser ( but after this, they just stand and sing the reader reads. ( oh and I think the background changes color ) ( I did not think it was worth the dining package I know some do)

Fire works technically Disney does not do anything for people with Disability for the fier works as they are in the sky, but I have gotten VIP spot for them once ( not sure how I did this) it is just infront of the grassy area were the dessert party takes place, so if you have some extra money you can pay for the dessert party and see them from there if that is not too fair away, or just find a spot that you think will work and camp out ( not sure when you are going but if it slow you might find a good slpt along a railing so not one can stand in front of you.

as far as show I would just talk to the CM when you get there and let them know you have someone with a vision problem and ask to sit up front ( if this is what she need. I know some with vision problem that 3 or 4 row back helps them the best ) since she will be in a wheelchair this will help since she will have to do the wheelchair setting and a CM will ( or should ) talk to you.

I am staying at the front in a few weeks they pip in the music for the fireworks down by the lack it really needs not sure how much your friend will be able to see of it but I just love hearing the music

AS far as the DAS goes all it does is give you a place to wait beside the line. You will need to be able to say why she can not be in a physical line and why waiting outside of it will help her, things like needing a place to sit, will not need a DAS, but if she has other needs ( even if you realise it at Disney ) please do to GR and talk to them about your friends needs.

oh and make sure she picks up an I am celebrating button and put on there cancer-free ( or something like this) you would be surprised at the pixie dust you get along with the congrats from fellow CM and guest.

No helpful advice - just so happy that you all will be able to share the joy of her recovery at WDW - and especially at Christmas time! :)

Do stop in at Guest Services on your first day at the Parks, and speak with them; and Disney Springs has Guest Services as well!

Yay! :)

Thank you for the tips and well wishes! I was (miraculously)! just able to snag a Terrace view dessert party seating for the fireworks the night of our MVMCP (after hundreds of tries over many days)lol That will give her some rest time and a view of the fireworks without anyone standing in front of her. Was also able to get a dinner seating for Candlelight - it is Pat Sajak's first year and he may prove very popular, plus we are all big Wheel fans, and I wanted to be sure of a seat without having to wait for hours or being turned away. . . and she has never eaten at Chefs de France, so win/win, we are breaking the bank on this one. ;)
I will ask at shows for close seating - never hurts to ask and it will make a big difference for her. And I will ask her about the audio device for the dark rides - she has been to WDW several times and has ridden everything 'sighted' so she mostly wants to just be there and hear the music.
I am so glad to know they pipe the music in at the lake! We have 2nd seating at Hoop de Doo on our arrival night and then wanted to drive the golf cart and see some of the decorations the campers put out - it would be wonderful to end the night watching the MVMCP fireworks across the lake!
And I will definitely get her a button - I hadn't even thought of that! I am calling this the "No Mo Cancer!" trip. She has one more brain surgery to face after the New Year to replace a skull plate they had to remove. We will be the ones with the big, cheesie, holiday spirit smiles on our faces for 5 whole days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter