Any thoughts on my dd's app for Spring 2020?

I'm so very sorry to hear this :( We've been through this twice with the first app not being a terrible surprise but certainly disappointment. Second app was all out devastating. My dd laid in bed all day and cried (and she'd not a crier or emotional type) so that was hard to see. By the next morning, she (puffy eyes and all) was getting back to normal life. She was still sad for a long time but chin was up and she was only looking forward to the next round. It sounds like your dd is getting to that point quickly as well.

My dd met a girl last time she app'ed who also had been NLIC'ed (she's actually ahead of my dd - she's in her 4th app now) and they found out they live 20 mins from each other. This girl (surprise, surprise) does also still live at home. Anyways, they've become close buds and get together a lot. The two are going to WDW in October and I'm so worried they are going to get NLIC'ed before and it will really dampen their trip. It's a sad thought but I just hope, if they are going to get denied, it happens after their trip so they can really enjoy their time and dream about being on their CP's there together.

By next June, hopefully @bluezy, your dd has been accepted for her CP :cloud9:

Thank you. She seems to be over it already. Yesterday when I got the mail there was a padded envelope addressed to her. I could feel it was a bunch of trading pins (she has never traded before) and I just knew they were Disney pins. I tried to hide the envelope under a newspaper and some other things hoping she wouldn't see it but she did. I thought for sure it would put her in to full-on meltdown mode but it didn't. In fact, she was excited to see what she got (it was a bag of 50 that she bought off of ebay...and they actually seem to be authentic). She immediately dumped them on the counter and started going through them and pulling out the ones she liked and wanted to keep for herself. Then she talked about how she was going to start researching the individual pins to see if any of them are "rare". So that whole thing went better than I was expecting. :D

And yes, hopefully she will be accepted for the Fall program by the time we're there in June...or NLIC'd long enough before we go that she's out of that funk before we arrive. :D

Hoping your daughter (and the others here) get WBI's soon!

@bluezy oh I hope she gets the good news next Spring!!
@wendow I hope your kiddo also gets the good news soon!
Waiting is so hard.
From a parent perspective-my DD's roommates - it didn't matter if they were from big schools/small schools/never lived away from home or not-her best roommates were self sufficient and had experience looking after themselves (don't need to live away from home for that) and had experience balancing school/job/extra curriculars. Holds true at college or DCP. Personally I think the "big school/lives away from home" is a lazy way for for the DCP to "cull" apps, but I do think they miss some better kiddos who would do better than some who just "check the box" to meet criteria on app.

Also please encourage the girls to keep trying. There are lots of stories of kids applying 4 or 5 or more times before being accepted!

House-sitting, pet-sitting with overnight stays! Worked for my DD's 3rd try, and she ended up doing great on her living independently at DCP.

Still nothing. :(
Same here. My dd is still sitting firmly stuck in AR. We did breathe a small sigh of relief since no NLIC today. Her NLIC emails have come on Fridays with both previous apps.

House-sitting, pet-sitting with overnight stays! Worked for my DD's 3rd try, and she ended up doing great on her living independently at DCP.
My dd has done both, as well as overnight babysitting, as well as my dh & I going out-of-town for a week with our younger two and just leaving her and her sister home alone. But we didn't think of that as 'living independently' so she didn't mark that for her app. I can assure you, though, that she will next time. If that is what is keeping her from moving forward, it's ridiculous and it makes me mad :mad:

My dd has done both, as well as overnight babysitting, as well as my dh & I going out-of-town for a week with our younger two and just leaving her and her sister home alone. But we didn't think of that as 'living independently' so she didn't mark that for her app. I can assure you, though, that she will next time. If that is what is keeping her from moving forward, it's ridiculous and it makes me mad :mad:

My daughter has done those things as well -- in fact she has a 2-week house/pet sitting gig coming up later this month that includes 2 cats, a dog, a lizard (that needs to be held several times a day), fish, and 2 large snakes! You couldn't pay me enough to sleep in that house but she didn't bat an eye. She has also done overnight babysitting and has supervised/taken care of our 14 yo daughter several times just in the last few months when I've traveled on business with DH (including a 10 day trip a few months ago). She maintained the household and made sure her sister got to all of her activities, lessons, and rehearsals along with making sure DD got her homework done as well. So thank you for that suggestions/information @Firepath, I will definitely tell my DD to use that on her next application. She's also going to get her CPR and First Aid certification and recently did an 8-hour autism awareness/assistance (can't think of the exact term) class for her job at a local amusement park so hopefully all of those things will help her in the next attempt at DCP.

My daughter has done those things as well -- in fact she has a 2-week house/pet sitting gig coming up later this month that includes 2 cats, a dog, a lizard (that needs to be held several times a day), fish, and 2 large snakes! You couldn't pay me enough to sleep in that house but she didn't bat an eye. She has also done overnight babysitting and has supervised/taken care of our 14 yo daughter several times just in the last few months when I've traveled on business with DH (including a 10 day trip a few months ago). She maintained the household and made sure her sister got to all of her activities, lessons, and rehearsals along with making sure DD got her homework done as well. So thank you for that suggestions/information @Firepath, I will definitely tell my DD to use that on her next application. She's also going to get her CPR and First Aid certification and recently did an 8-hour autism awareness/assistance (can't think of the exact term) class for her job at a local amusement park so hopefully all of those things will help her in the next attempt at DCP.
Your dd and mine really do sound so much alike lol!! Mine did the cpr/first aid as well for this last app, cause we read that might get an app noticed, but so far nada. I’m 100% convinced it’s the not living ‘independently’ thing. Not that taking those classes is bad at all! Those are great no matter what!

Why don't they see it, @720L ?? I guess it's because their computer isn't programmed to see the kids for who they really are. My dd is well versed in dealing with spectrum kiddos as my oldest ds is on the spectrum, though that life experience is hard to convey if you never get a chance to talk to a recruiter...
Hoping this week is good for both our dd's!

I "think" the application has simply a yes or no for independent living. They didn't ask her about it in the interview, they just asked if she'd ever shared a room with anyone. She said no, but she shared a bathroom with her brother and had to work out a schedule so they could both get ready for school in the mornings. That seemed to suffice because she got in, and she ended up having a great roommate with no problems sharing the bed/bath rooms. She actually missed that when she came home. Good luck to your daughters. My daughter got her acceptance on the.very.last.day so don't give up! We had already thrown in the towel and moved on. It was quite a surprise.

I "think" the application has simply a yes or no for independent living. They didn't ask her about it in the interview, they just asked if she'd ever shared a room with anyone. She said no, but she shared a bathroom with her brother and had to work out a schedule so they could both get ready for school in the mornings. That seemed to suffice because she got in, and she ended up having a great roommate with no problems sharing the bed/bath rooms. She actually missed that when she came home. Good luck to your daughters. My daughter got her acceptance on the.very.last.day so don't give up! We had already thrown in the towel and moved on. It was quite a surprise.

This is true. The initial application will ONLY ask "yes" or "no" for if the applicant has ever lived independently, and won't ask for any further details.

During the Phone Interview, your CP will be asked a deeper question about their experience living independently, it will be about resolving roommate conflicts. On my first interview, I was asked if I was living in a dorm and if I had ever experienced a roommate problem. I said I hadn't (my roomie was pretty great), so then they asked me what I thought was the best way to prevent roommate conflicts.

On my last two interviews, since I was an alumni, after they asked me about if I was going to return to housing. When I said yes both times, they asked me the same question both times, which was to specifically describe a time where there was a problem between my roommates and I during the Program. We had a wacky roomie on my first program that caused us to have a housing meeting, so I told that story. I don't think my Summer Alumni interviewer even believed me, but my Spring interviewer totally understood.

As long as your applicant talks about how open communication and honesty can solve issues, they should be fine and move onto the next part of the phone interview with no problem.

Last edited:
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! My dd got a WBI today!!!!! She was in class and I saw the email come through. I texted her to check her dashboard and she had to leave class b/c she just started crying. Happy tears though! So happy she finally got to this point!

Any one else's dd catch the WBI wave today??

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! My dd got a WBI today!!!!! She was in class and I saw the email come through. I texted her to check her dashboard and she had to leave class b/c she just started crying. Happy tears though! So happy she finally got to this point!

Any one else's dd catch the WBI wave today??

WENDOW!!!!! I JUST got a message on FB from a girl who caught the WBI wave today and immediately thought of you and went to check this thread!!!! My heart is soaring for your DD!!!! Tell her I said "good luck, don't overthink the questions and don't rush yourself!"

WENDOW!!!!! I JUST got a message on FB from a girl who caught the WBI wave today and immediately thought of you and went to check this thread!!!! My heart is soaring for your DD!!!! Tell her I said "good luck, don't overthink the questions and don't rush yourself!"
THANK YOU!!!! I'm so happy :woohoo:My dd is in classes all day and then works til 10 tonight so she will take the WBI in the morning.If you have any tips, please share! We've read a lot but always nice to hear from alumni!

I am so happy for her!!!! They ask the same questions over and over just worded differently. So, yes don't rush!
Thank you!!! And try to stick with one extreme or another, right? Don't have many neutral answers??

@Newsies Sorry, I read your post so fast and I'm completely unfocused that I didn't realize you threw in some tips to share with my dd lol!

When you take the WBI, do you immediately know if you've passed and can do a PI or is there a waiting period again?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!