Any thoughts on my dd's app for Spring 2020?

wendow

We create happiness.
Here is the background - my dd19 has dreamed of doing the DCP since 2012 so she applied the first semester of her freshman year for SA 2019. She hadn't done much research (watched youtubes) before app'ing and only had volunteer experience (but had gobs of that). Never made it to the WBI and got NLIC'ed right at 3 weeks after app'ing.

Applied again the next opportunity for FA 2019. By now, she had a job at Chick Fil A (which we were told Disney loves to hire CP's from because the training model is similar) and she had watched lots of youtubes on how to fill out the app. She included the 4 keys all through her app and followed all the advice she could fine online. She was on a FB group with kids getting moved super fast from app to WBI to PI. Once again, my dd didn't make it to the WBI and got the dreaded NLIC email right at 2 weeks after app'ing.

Now, she app'ed again for SA 2020. After working at CFA for about 9 mos, she now works at Sea Quest. She works admissions, the gift shop, hosts bday parties and leads field trips, she does animal encounters and works with guests all day (some grumpy and complaining). Her experience is really good for Disney! She applied within 30 mins of the apps opening this past Monday and yet she still sits in AR. TONS of the kids on a FB group she is in are moving. But she still sits.

I don't get it! She is discouraged and while everything you read says to not get worried cause 'everyone moves at their own pace', her experience is that when nothing happens, she gets NLIC'ed pretty fast. Again, she is so discouraged now and I am not sure how to encourage her without getting her hopes up.

ETA: She put interest in 14 roles, which is about the same as previous apps. Not all are high interest but she at least puts interest.

My dd20 applied the first day also, this is her first time applying. She's also still waiting. The DCP has been her dream ever since we can remember. She has great work experience, but hasn't lived away from home yet.....we live 15 minutes from her University. Spanish is her minor, I'm hoping that will give her an advantage. This waiting is killing both of us!!

@720L Best wishes to your dd!

The waiting is hard for us both too but it's actually been a little easier this time around. The first time my dd app'ed, we expected a denial b/c we'd been told that a lot of kids who app the first time don't get accepted (really not true but we believed it then) so not only was the denial expected but it was pretty easy to handle. The second time app'ing was brutal. DD and I both had watched tons of youtubes and she'd been on FB connecting with others applying. We knew all about how everyone says to fill out the app. We thought for sure she'd at least get to the WBI! But nope, and that NLIC email just crushed her. I think we've both gone into this third app with pretty low expectations but I'm still baffled as to why some kids get moved on and others don't.

My dd lives at home as well. We live 20 mins from her school. I have zero doubt though that she can easily live away. We rarely see the girl and she manages her money (pays for her own college...) just fine. I sure hope Disney wouldn't hold something like that against these kids.

Wendow best wishes to your daughter! Maybe they will both get in! I know my daughter will be fine living there also, she's very mature & confident. Keep me updated.

My dd is a biology major, with an emphasis in conservation and ecology. AK is a perfect place for her lol.

That is a good match. Keep trying. Something I noticed was that many of the students chosen were juniors or seniors.

Hi wendow!

I noticed there was a pretty big wave of movement for applicants who were in AR, where many of them moved to the WBI. Did your daughter's app see any movement?

Hi wendow!

I noticed there was a pretty big wave of movement for applicants who were in AR, where many of them moved to the WBI. Did your daughter's app see any movement?
Hi Newsies!
You are so kind to ask! Thank you!

We saw the wave but nope, she didn't budge. SHe is in a 'group me' of about 60 girls. Many are 18-19 yo and first time applicants. Lots got moved to WBI today but sad to see my dd still sitting in AR. I really don't get it :(

That is a good match. Keep trying. Something I noticed was that many of the students chosen were juniors or seniors.
I used to think it was her age but her last two apps have been when she's connected with other girls from FB who are also app'ing. Many are her age or younger and they get moved forward and get in. I think our current theories are 1) not having lived independently, and/or 2) not being from a big school DIsney recruiters have relationships with.

The living independently thing irks me cause some kids do not need to go away yet they are very much 'launching well' and 'adulting' even while they sleep at home. My dd was raised to be very independent and she is doing a fine job of being an adult. I honestly think she is more 'adult' than I was at her age even though I went away to college.

For the school, we are in CO and my dd goes to a small'ish school. My dd says a lot of the girls on the groups she has joined are from big SE schools and there seem to be a large amount of acceptances from those schools.

Again, just theories. Who the heck really knows!?!

@wendow nothing happened here either. I never thought of the smaller college thing, that would be her also. I wonder if they think about the fact that these kids are living at home to save money? My DD is also very independent & way more adult than I was.....at 20 I really had no ambitions LOL. This is SO hard.

@720L I’m sorry your dd’s app is still stuck too. There should be more wbi’s coming next week so fingers crossed for our girls!

Hi Newsies!
You are so kind to ask! Thank you!

We saw the wave but nope, she didn't budge. SHe is in a 'group me' of about 60 girls. Many are 18-19 yo and first time applicants. Lots got moved to WBI today but sad to see my dd still sitting in AR. I really don't get it :(

I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm glad to hear she's in a GroupMe with other first time applicants! The GroupMe chats, like the Facebook groups, are supremely helpful in staying in the loop and up-to-date with everything happening during the application season. They're also a great support system, as everyone wants each other to succeed. I noticed there was yet another WBI movement wave this morning, so please let me know if she saw movement!

I read a few of your other posts on this thread, and it sounds like she's also in the Facebook group for Spring/Spring Advantage 2020. Before she applied, did any of the DCP Alumni in the group to look over her app? If she goes to her dashboard, selects "applications," selects "Disney College Program," and then selects "Review application," it should bring her to a page with a hard copy of the application she submitted for this program. If you'd like, I would be more than happy to review portions of her application that don't include sensitive information. "Work Experience," "WDW Program Interest," and "DLR Program Interest" are the three parts of the application that get a lot of people "stuck" in Application Received. If she doesn't make it to the WBI this year, we can work on her initial application so that she's ready to roll for the Fall 2020 season!

In another post, you mentioned concern over the fact that she goes to a small school and that she hasn't lived "independently."
While I don't believe her school is a problem, I do agree that unfortunately, Disney tends to favor CPs who have lived "independently" before :( I put "independently" in quotes because while you and I know that there are plenty of college-aged students who have adjusted well to an adult lifestyle while still living at home, Disney would rather hire students who have lived in an apartment or dorm away from their families before. I know so many from Fall 2016 who had lived in a dorm before but couldn't last more than 3 months in Orlando because the stress of being away from home coupled with the stress of the job was too much for them. Disney sees those who have lived away from their families before as applicants who are at less of a risk from self-terming in the middle of the program, therefore, they move forward in the application process faster than others. I don't agree with this way of thinking, but it unfortunately seems to be the way Disney has their application review programs wired.

Hopefully, your DDs hear soon. Did they put high interest in at least one of the most needed areas like Quick Service?

Thank you, @Newsies, for your very thoughtful reply and your kind offer to look over my dd's app. We would love that!!! She did have a girl from FB or GroupMe, who is in her 2nd CP now, take a look but I think that is it. I'm not sure how to access my dd's dashboard and she is at work until tonight but I'll send you the sections you mentioned reviewing later today or tomorrow. Thank you again!

She did not have any movement from the WBI wave this morning.

Thanks for your thoughts on the living independently thing. We have both had a nagging suspicion that this was problematic for Disney but hoping that her other great qualities and work experience would at least get Disney to consider her.

Hopefully, your DDs hear soon. Did they put high interest in at least one of the most needed areas like Quick Service?
On her first two apps, she put QS as a high interest role. For this 3rd app, she put moderate interest for QS.

I think all of you are right to assume that living at or close to home could be the issue. My DD did her PI this week and talking about living with roommates and sharing a room was a part of her interview. She already lives far from home, so that wasn't questioned but it was mentioned.
She did put QS as high interest and I think one other of the high need areas.

@wendow I hope your DD hears good news soon! My DD applied her sophomore year and flew through her WBI to PI to offer fairly quickly. She didn't have lots of work experience but did 1) come from larger university 2) lived away from home. While lots of kids get in from smaller universities, and from home, I think some of that may possibly be dependent upon how many roles they need to fill, as I suspect that the priority comes to those who meet the university/away from home criteria.
DD also applied for Summer alumni the year after her fall DCP-moved to WBI fairly quickly but waited for the PI to come, then waited until almost last wave for the offer. She applied again for SA this past spring and was NLIC at last wave (which she was fine with as she got a really good high paying internship in her field), never having even gotten to WBI!
All that to say: not much rhyme or reason as to why sometimes it is a fast process or why some kids make it through and others don't!
Also-and this is just a suggestion-from another group-putting an interest in everything is sometimes seen as a negative. In other words-it is ok to have a no interest in one or 2 areas, as it implies that thought and consideration went into thinking about the roles.. Also-the recruiters do look at social media...Not in anyway saying this is a factor but just FYI.

Anyway I really hope your DD makes it through! However JIC tell her to not give up-stories are around of kids trying several times before they get accepted!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!