Any Shanghai Disney Tips?

KashasMom

DIS Veteran
Hi - we're going to Shanghai Disney in 2 weeks. We're staying at the Disneyland hotel, have our tickets, and booked 2 character breakfasts. We'll be there on a Wednesday and Thursday so hoping it won't be as crowded as on the weekend. Is there a monorail between the hotel and the park or is it close enough to walk?

Trying to get a handle on planning our days. My daughter likes the thrill rides best so thinking of starting at Adventure Isle, then heading over to Treasure Cove saving Fantasyland for first thing the next morning followed by Tomorrowland. Any tips we should know? Does fastpass work the same as here? Can you prebook fastpass or must they be down at the ride? Is there a parade - once or twice a day?

Hi - we're going to Shanghai Disney in 2 weeks. We're staying at the Disneyland hotel, have our tickets, and booked 2 character breakfasts.

Congrats on having a trip booked and I wish you safe travels and a magical time at Disney.

We'll be there on a Wednesday and Thursday so hoping it won't be as crowded as on the weekend.

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend you download the Shanghai Disneyland app. It will give you the wait times for each attraction and it may be useful to check it so you have an indication of wait times.
Chances are....it will be less crowded on the weekday. However, it will be Australian school holidays during that period and I think you may also hit the Easter period; so there may be other Asian countries (not China) that may have some holidays.

Is there a monorail between the hotel and the park or is it close enough to walk?

There is no monorail between the hotel and the park.

There is a shuttle bus that will take you to the park. We took the bus most times because I was travelling with my mother and also because it was raining for 2 days solid when we were there in mid March. The bus was super convenient. You'll find that the bus will take you to Disneyland Park and Disneytown. There is only one bus stop for the two as Disneytown is right next to the park. So, the first time...you'll think you're at Disneytown but it is the same stop that you need to get off at for the park.

There is also a ferry that takes you from the hotel to the park. The ferry takes about 10 mintues to cross Wishing Star Lake. You can use it in the the morning and during the day; but the service stops at around 7 pm or so.

However, it is close enough to walk. It took me about 10 minutes to walk to the park in the morning. If you miss the bus or the ferry, it may be worth just hiking it back to the hotel.

Trying to get a handle on planning our days. My daughter likes the thrill rides best so thinking of starting at Adventure Isle, then heading over to Treasure Cove saving Fantasyland for first thing the next morning followed by Tomorrowland. Any tips we should know? Does fastpass work the same as here? Can you prebook fastpass or must they be down at the ride?

Fastpasses are distributed from a central location at each land. It's the old FP paper system (not FP+) and it works the same. You collect your FP with your park admission card and there will be a window before you can collect another. It works the same as the original FP system.
The only thing that will be a bit different is when you go to the ride with your FP....you will need to show your park admission card as well as the FP ticket. There are scammers outside the gates that have been selling fake FP and Disney is aware of the problem. The CM are advised to confirm your park ticket number with that printed on your FP ticket.

If you're planning your tour plans around Tron in Tomorrowland for one of the days; and then Pirates/Roaring Rapids for the other day...then your plans will work great. I found that the rides were relatively empty in the morning and you should be able to get on multiple times before the afternoon crowds. For example...I got on 7DMT four times in a row on the 3rd morning we were there.

A number of the rides also have single rider lines. You may want to consider doing single rider as well.

FWIW. It wasn't that busy when we were there and in the end, I only ended up getting FP for the rides that were popular with the Chinese aka Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan.
Roaring Rapids was down on scheduled maintenance for the 3 days we were there for, so we never had to factor in getting a FP or getting on this ride during the duration.

You may also want to consider whether you want any character pictures. The one that I made a beeline for was with Duffy. You'll find the Duffy area down Mickey Avenue and it looked like the Chinese were heading for the character pictures first up. If you do want a character picture, then you may need to factor the ones at Mickey Avenue in your plans.

Is there a parade - once or twice a day?

We were rained out for two days - just a the rainy day parade; which ended up being two floats.

For when we were there, I think it was one parade during the day. But check the app. It will give you the information.
There is also a show in front of the castle. Well worth checking it out as well.

Thanks for the detailed information! I just downloaded the app. I think we'll try to hit all the rides we really want to do and then play it by ear.

Have fun. I expect that you'll get the entire park done in 2 days, assuming low/moderate crowd levels. You should also be able to get on the major attractions multiple times.

Yay!!

There is both bus & boat transportation to & from the hotels/park. I believe you could also walk, but I'm not sure, we stayed offsite.
-FPs are paper fp's like they are in DLR, but the locations to pick them up in each land are at the same location (ie, Tron & Buzz is the same kiosk in Tomorrowland)

-If you're big on thrill rides, make sure you hit Tron!

-Our plan was:Day 1: Head straight to Soarin fp, pull fp, then to Pirates (pirates was a walk on, and it took us about 30mins to get Soarin fp because of the crowding, may be better to just head straight to Soaring and ride it first, then pirates)
-Stick to the Treasure Cove/Adventure Isle on one day, going into that half of Fantasyland
-Day 2: Straight to Tron, ride standby, ride Buzz, then explore into Fantasyland that you haven't hit, circle back to get a Tron fp for when the sun is down.
-Try to NOT criss cross across the park, it's HUGE and seriously takes WAY longer than you'd expect. Even from the Hub to say, Pirates or Soaring takes longer than expected.

-The daytime castle show is worth watching at least once, lots of cool effects, and multiple times per day.
-Parade is once a day, cute, catchy song.
-Fireworks/nighttime show is AWESOME, try to get a spot close enough to see projections, but far enough back to be able to take it all in (if that makes any sense lol)

-The Tarzan Acrobat show is INCREDIBLE, it's a lot of Mandarin, but the acrobatics are what make it amazing, definitely worth a watch!
-Cap Jack Stunt Show: I expected so much more, it's cool, but 100% in Mandarin, so all of the jokes were lost on us, and we were kinda bored watching it
-The Hiro/Baymax workout thing in Tomorrowland was NOT operating when we were there, BUT, because of this they were doing meet & greets in the area instead.

-Character meet & greets is something you might want to consider too. Princess lines are usually on the longer side, and they will swap out, so you may not get who's greeting when you get in line. Duffy had barely any wait when we were there, but we also did that first (ish) thing in the morning, so throughout the day it might be longer.
-Also keep your eyes out for some random pop ups in Fantasyland, I've seen a lot of Rapunzel & Flynn pictures over there, BUT, that may be weekends only.
-There's a cute little Beauty & the Beast show on the stage across from the Hunny Pots, it's all in Mandarin, but cute.
-The Marvel area had little to no waits to meet Spider Man/Cap America (Cap spoke English, Spidey didn't)
-Meeting Mickey was probably the longest wait we had, and the most obnoxious when it came to pushing/line cutting.

-If you've been to the parks in the states, you could also skip Pooh (the exact same ride but in Mandarin), 7DMT, Soaring (if you've ridden the new one, this was our first experience, it was cool, only difference is it ends in China), The Hunny Pots (teacups but Pooh themed), and MAYBE Peter Pan (it's VERY similar BUT, since it's newer it is nicer with some slight differences.) Just to help you manage time if you need to!

I was there on two separate trips last year.

Tip #1: The park is very big by area. There are no railroads to get from one side to the other. It is probably best to plan your visit to spend time on one side of the park before going to the other, otherwise you'll spend a lot of time walking.
Tip #2: There are only a couple (maybe three) eating places that have indoor seating in the park. If it is raining or gets too hot, there are lots of top-notch indoor seating restaurants that are a very short walk away in the Disney Town section. Also, I thought the food in the park was disappointing (not anywhere near as good as its American counterparts), while the Disney Town food was quite good.
Tip #3: The lines to get a Fastpass are usually very very long. But they move fast. Don't be discouraged by the size of the line. However, the jury is still out on what attractions are worth getting a fastpass. I only know of one (see the next tip)
Tip #4: If you are going to ride on Soaring, get a FastPass. The Fastpass line is way way way shorter than standby, even if you are there at rope drop.
Tip #5: The single rider line for Tron is NOT worth it. They let about one rider in for about every 5-6 full loads, and the other people waiting in line can be rude. Might be worth a Fastpass.
Tip #6: If the wait for Pirates is long, consider going in the single rider lane. No FPs for POTC in 2016, don't know about this year. The single rider line isn't marked - you have to ask for it at the entrance to the ride (hold up one finger to the CM). The standby line can be very stuffy and mildly unpleasant. I think they only allow single riders in the morning; I was told that the single rider line was closed when I tried to ride in the afternoon.
Tip #7: BTW - The Shanghai POTC ride is the greatest ride Disney has built so far! Several special effects not seen anywhere else. Jaw-dropping amazing. DO NOT MISS IT. (Actually, the entire area around Pirates is really well done)
Tip #8: The ropes course is awesome. It is unique and well done. Each challenge has an easy, middle and hard way to go. Don't miss it.
Tip #9: Big one: If you wear glasses, bring a glasses strap. They will NOT let you wear your glasses on TRON unless you show that your glasses will not fall off. If you cannot show that they will not fall off, you will be forced to put them in a little compartment in front of you...and if your eyesight is poor you will miss the full experience of the ride. I was allowed tto wear my glasses on TRON because I was wearing a strap to keep them on my head; everyone else I saw had to put theirs in the compartment.
Tip #10: Buzz Lightyear is a lot better than in the states.
Tip #11: Fairytale Riverboats can be skipped. If you do want to see it, it might be better at night.
Tip #12: Seven Dwarves - mixed. The ride is better, the theming is better, but it loses something because it is in Mandarin.
Tip #13: Maybe 1 in 3 CMs speak passable English. Some have electronic translators. If you cannot get an answer, be patient and keep asking around.

Last edited:
Interesting as I thought 7DMT was the copy of the one in WDW, with similar feeling track and very little difference in animatronics except the creatures in the tree trunk at the end (and seeing them and Dopey depends on when you pause there and for how long) and the cottage set further back? Each "land" has an indoor sit-down eating area if they are all open when you are there, but I agree we had wet weather and it was annoying there were no covered areas to sit and eat snacks etc bought from all the take away counters and snack carts. Otherwise I'd second kidd_freeper's tips. Friends did the Fairytale Riverboats at sunset and it looked pretty. We thought it cute by day too but yes missable if on limited time. We also loved Star Wars Launch Bay which was empty compared to the one in WDW - e.g. no queue for pics with Darth Vadar and the Marvel Universe displays and M&G (busier but still not that much). The former is in Tomorrowland up beyond Tron and the latter in gardens of Imagination.

Rapunzel and Flynn were out in Fantasyland during the week in rotation. We queued but they went for a break just before they got to us and then were replaced with a different princess (Belle) we'd already met a previous day so never ended up with a pic. Happy Circle in Adventure Isle is a good place for M&G with the Jungle Book and Lion King characters like Baloo, King Louie and Rafiki. Don't miss the photo op with Mickey in his Chinese outfit in his own hall in Gardens of Imagination.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter