Any Rumblings about Skyliner Expansion?

I could see them adding a Skyliner from MK to the parking lot, then over to WL and Reflections to help manage the exit crowds. They have to keep the busses running (and the bus drivers employed) because the Skyliner does not run when there are thunderstorms - which is pretty much every afternoon during the summer. Not so sure I am rooting for the Skyliner at my favorite DVC resort because, DDR as a guide, the MF's get really high to maintain the things.

I think an MK resort area extension would be a later phase, after they link in Disney Springs area. The Magic Kingdom area resorts, even those not on the monorail, are fairly easily linked to EPCOT via boat to MK and then monorail to TTC, transferring to the Epcot line. (Assuming they can keep the old trains running) I imagine All Stars, Coronado Springs and AK may be linked before MK

Since we are all speculating...I don’t see the sky liner making it to the MK resort area until they announce the fifth theme park assuming the rumors are true to its location.

I could see them adding a Skyliner from MK to the parking lot, then over to WL and Reflections to help manage the exit crowds. They have to keep the busses running (and the bus drivers employed) because the Skyliner does not run when there are thunderstorms - which is pretty much every afternoon during the summer. Not so sure I am rooting for the Skyliner at my favorite DVC resort because, DDR as a guide, the MF's get really high to maintain the things.

This is what confuses me, if the skylines is so cheap to run, why are the transportation costs at RIV so high?

This map circulated a while back... my understanding is that it was not based on inside info, it's pure "what if" speculation. Would love to see the westward expansion to Animal Kingdom Lodge, etc.

disney-skyliner-future-map.jpg

This is what confuses me, if the skylines is so cheap to run, why are the transportation costs at RIV so high?
The only way they add skyliner anywhere else is if it is built as part of a new DVC resort and they can make members pay part of the cost in MF. They aren't going to add it to already "sold out" resorts.

Just dream with me on this.....

Disney uses the Boring Company to create underground transit from The AKV and Coronado to AKL and HS. Maybe even the All Stars could get in on the action.

Except most of WDW is built upon a swamp. Dig down more than a few feet, and you'll hit water.

I think they would start to charge for parking at DS if that happened
I'm surprised they don't already. Downtown Disney in CA charges to park. It used to be free for the first couple of hours - enough to get in a ride or two on your way home if you had an AP. Not anymore. I know they have signs up telling you parking is for DS only. Do they enforce that at all?

The only way they add skyliner anywhere else is if it is built as part of a new DVC resort and they can make members pay part of the cost in MF. They aren't going to add it to already "sold out" resorts.
Dues do not pay for capital construction.

Dues do not pay for capital construction.
True but also since Transportation is "contracted" item on the MF (unlike most other items) the transportation arm of Disney is likely charging above cost for the transportation to all resorts likely, thus covering capital costs but amortized over a longer period (while some of that profit may or may not go towards refurbishment, etc).

True but also since Transportation is "contracted" item on the MF (unlike most other items) the transportation arm of Disney is likely charging above cost for the transportation to all resorts likely, thus covering capital costs but amortized over a longer period (while some of that profit may or may not go towards refurbishment, etc).
And what is stopping them from building it at say, OKW, and then reducing/eliminating busses to the park on the gondola circuit, then upping the dues some or absorbing the cost due to the employee cost of bus drivers and maintenance ost of the busses? Busses do eventually wear out, and replacement busses are like $100K

And what is stopping them from building it at say, OKW, and then reducing/eliminating busses to the park on the gondola circuit, then upping the dues some or absorbing the cost due to the employee cost of bus drivers and maintenance ost of the busses? Busses do eventually wear out, and replacement busses are like $100K
They can’t get rid of the busses on the gondola circuit. The gondolas can’t replace the busses unless they expect people to walk in bad weather.

They can’t get rid of the busses on the gondola circuit. The gondolas can’t replace the busses unless they expect people to walk in bad weather.
Sure they can. The busses can be used when the gondola system is down. Just like busses that aren't normally in service are used when the monorails go down.

Sure they can. The busses can be used when the gondola system is down. Just like busses that aren't normally in service are used when the monorails go down.
So they just are going to pay bus drivers to sit around when the weather is good?

On the surface you would think they could save major money by cutting back on bus service, but they really won’t. The most expensive cost of the bus service is the drivers and that cost only goes up as it get harder to qualify for a DOT card. Those drivers will have to be on duty and getting paid sitting around waiting daily if they reduce bus service in good weather. That is why I don’t think we will see a significant cut in bus service along the gondola routes. If you are going to have to pay the drivers, you might as well have them driving the busses the whole time.

Bus purchases are a big expense themselves, but they will run forever. You can get 800,000+ miles out of those busses with a quality maintenance program.

No, they can get bus drivers from Mears if they have a sudden need. They use Mears for Magical Express and the Land/Sea package busses. And many of the Disney busses have close to a million miles on them, and NEED to be replaced.

No, they can get bus drivers from Mears if they have a sudden need. They use Mears for Magical Express and the Land/Sea package busses.
So they will pay Mears to have Mears drivers sit around all day for them on site so they can get on the road as soon as there is a lightning strike or wind gusts get to high? This is service you have to get on the road right away, that you may have to run for an hour, all day or even for days with the weather you have in Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!