Any Rumblings about Skyliner Expansion?

Turn the Page

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this has been discussed before but has anyone heard any rumors about the Skyliner being expanded to Reflections?

We LOVE the idea of the Skyliner and will buy DVC in the next few years. We were planning RR but may be convinced to wait for Reflections to come online if the Skyliner is eventually expanded to it.

This is my own personal opinion... not based on any facts....I believe Disney is using this current model of the skyliner as a test run. They are hoping its efficient and economical. If so, I can imagine the long term plan would be to expand the skyliner throughout WDW and effectively eliminate bussing. They would probably keep some busses around in limited supply for some purposes, but the majority of transportation throughout the resort would be on these skyliners.

Disney didn't just put these where they did without the thoughts of several phases after. I agree they are going to try and link all the non magic kingdom area resorts first and my guess is Saratoga/Springs would be next on list. They will make more money that way ha!

Disney didn't just put these where they did without the thoughts of several phases after. I agree they are going to try and link all the non magic kingdom area resorts first and my guess is Saratoga/Springs would be next on list. They will make more money that way ha!
I could see the Skyliner eventually being expanded, but it will more than likely be to connect AKV, Coranado and the All Stars to the Epcot and DHS area. I do not see it being expanded to the Disney Springs area for the same reason there are currently no buses to any of the parks from Disney Springs. The reason is people will park in Disney Springs and take the Skyliner to the parks which is not something Disney wants as parking is currently free in Disney Springs.

I would love to see something like a Skyliner connect the Wildneress/Reflections area to MK. No idea if that would be something Disney ever planned. But then again, 5 years ago, who would have thought the idea of a Skyliner would have been in the works!!!

The routing is far more direct working with resorts like Port Orleans and Coronado than with any of the Bay Lake resorts, which mostly (save WL) have monorail.

Don't kid yourself that people aren't already parking at DS and walking to Saratoga or taking the boat to a boat-connected resort. Anyone who has ever been at the Congress Park bus stop will tell you otherwise.

I could see the Skyliner eventually being expanded, but it will more than likely be to connect AKV, Coranado and the All Stars to the Epcot and DHS area. I do not see it being expanded to the Disney Springs area for the same reason there are currently no buses to any of the parks from Disney Springs. The reason is people will park in Disney Springs and take the Skyliner to the parks which is not something Disney wants as parking is currently free in Disney Springs.

The parking is current free at Disney Springs like it was free at the resorts for overnight parking.
It will take the swipe of the Mouse's hand to make it paid for, possibly with validation for a purchase (which I think it's coming soon anyway) and/or free after 7pm.

I do not see it being expanded to the Disney Springs area for the same reason there are currently no buses to any of the parks from Disney Springs. The reason is people will park in Disney Springs and take the Skyliner to the parks which is not something Disney wants as parking is currently free in Disney Springs.
Easily solved... just charge a fee from Disney Springs side unless you can swipe a magic band linked to a Disney resort room.

I follow the rumors pretty closely here & elsewhere, and I don’t recall any of the ‘reliable’ insiders hinting at the location of any phase 2 Skyliner routes. I’ve read conjecture that the DS/AK/Coronado are logical next steps - and I’ve read that something not gondola based is a remote possibility to connect AK and AKL. I’ve seen no suggestions that Reflections would get a Skyliner.
Based on Reflections location - basically where River Country is noted on this map https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4111229,-81.5755274,16z?hl=en-us it looks to be an expensive to build route since several of the support towers would be located in water and it would have to go over World drive. Not sure how long the route would be v. the CBR/Riviera/BW parking lot turn/Epcot IG route.
Reflections will be a large DVC resort, I doubt it will be marketed in the same way Riviera is being marketed (as a luxury GF2 type resort.) SSR & OKW both have boat access to DS, I expect Reflections will likewise have boat (& bus) access to MK much like FW, WL & the two WL adjacent DVC resorts currently have.

Just dream with me on this.....

Disney uses the Boring Company to create underground transit from The AKV and Coronado to AKL and HS. Maybe even the All Stars could get in on the action.

I think the Skyliner, in. certain themes and settings, may look like an eyesore.

Perhaps I would have said the same about the monorail at one point in history. It may just take getting accustomed to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter