Any Reason for First-Timer Not to Stay at Aulani?

dieumeye

DIS Veteran
Planning family’s first visit to Hawaii (mom, dad, two kids). Got overwhelmed trying to map out a long, multi island, multi resort super trip to “see it all” and decided instead we’ll go to Oahu for 3-4 days and stay at one resort. Is there any reason Aulani would not be a good choice?

I’m not a DVC member, so I’d rent points online, which I’ve never done, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out. (This is the best thing to do, right? Or is there an advantage to paying cash price?)

Realistically this trip will be happening in the 12-24 month range… although I’d love to sneak it in this August (only 5 months away). Is it too late for that? How far out do I need to book Aulani and dining?

I’d also eventually love input on trip particulars and itinerary, but feel like I need to figure out the basics of where and when to stay first.

Thanks for any advice!!

When most people (who have never gone before) think of Hawaii, they think of Waikiki. That is a very large, busy area with lots of tourists. However, its a small part of the island of Oahu. Wherever you stay you should plan on exploring all of the island. We love Aulani because its not in Waikiki.

Where are you flying from? 4-5 days isn’t a long time - we fly from Australia so our rule of thumb is usually 1 day for each hour of flying. Oahu is small so you can easily drive around and see sites but it is crammed with things to see and do - so when you factor in that plus that the resort is also great so you will want to spend time there, your days are gone in a blink. Is your time including airport time - because you lose time arriving and departing.

Waikiki is part of Honolulu so it is a city but it is not hectic busy like Los Angeles - San Francisco - NYC. Our family has been doing split stays with both Waikiki and Ko Olina at least once a year, sometimes twice, since 2012. Our kids (as well as us) love Waikiki as much as Ko Olina. Ko Olina is a quiet residential area with minimal shops and restaurants. You need a car to travel anywhere. Waikiki is filled with thousands of places to eat, shop and there are many more transportation options.

When most people (who have never gone before) think of Hawaii, they think of Waikiki. That is a very large, busy area with lots of tourists. However, its a small part of the island of Oahu. Wherever you stay you should plan on exploring all of the island. We love Aulani because its not in Waikiki.
I do plan on exploring the island, not only staying at the resort. Of course, there's only so much we'll be able to see/do in a few days.

I've heard of Waikiki, but don't know anything about it. Why is that what people think of? Why are there a lot of tourists there? What is there to do specifically in/at Waikiki? I don't mind visiting the hustle and bustle, but like the idea of staying at a location that's not in the middle of it.

Where are you flying from? 4-5 days isn’t a long time - we fly from Australia so our rule of thumb is usually 1 day for each hour of flying. Oahu is small so you can easily drive around and see sites but it is crammed with things to see and do - so when you factor in that plus that the resort is also great so you will want to spend time there, your days are gone in a blink. Is your time including airport time - because you lose time arriving and departing.

Waikiki is part of Honolulu so it is a city but it is not hectic busy like Los Angeles - San Francisco - NYC. Our family has been doing split stays with both Waikiki and Ko Olina at least once a year, sometimes twice, since 2012. Our kids (as well as us) love Waikiki as much as Ko Olina. Ko Olina is a quiet residential area with minimal shops and restaurants. You need a car to travel anywhere. Waikiki is filled with thousands of places to eat, shop and there are many more transportation options.
Flying in from LAX. There's currently a 6hr flight that leaves mid-morning and arrives early afternoon that sounds perfect. I'm thinking 5 total days including travel (Day 1 arrive, day 5 depart) leaving 3 fulls days on the island. I know we won't be seeing and doing everything, but hopefully it's enough to get a sample and then we can later decide if we want to go back again or try another island in the future.

What is there to do staying in Waikiki that I'd miss out on if we stay at Aulani? Splitting up such a short trip sounds like a hassle, but is there something about staying at Waikiki that I should consider? In general, I like the idea of staying somewhere quieter. My plan would be to rent a car so we can explore the island at our pace (instead of doing paid excursions, for example) so I could always visit Waikiki if there's something there that shouldn't be missed.

We just did a little mini 5 day trip just like you described last week. Went for a week last year and will be going for a week next year. Did explore the Island last year, will next year, didn't this trip. We rented points, it was VERY easy and super cheap compared to paying cash which we did last year (ouch!). I say do it! We live in Seattle so like you it's a pretty easy flight. Took 2 first timers this year and both have booked trips back and both are not really "Disney people".

We just did a little mini 5 day trip just like you described last week. Went for a week last year and will be going for a week next year. Did explore the Island last year, will next year, didn't this trip. We rented points, it was VERY easy and super cheap compared to paying cash which we did last year (ouch!). I say do it! We live in Seattle so like you it's a pretty easy flight. Took 2 first timers this year and both have booked trips back and both are not really "Disney people".
Thanks! How soon did you start the points rental process? I have no idea how early I’d need to start to get the kind of room I’d want.

I personally wouldn’t fly that far, and to somewhere so beautiful, and only stay 3 days and two halves. That’s barely enough time IMHO to enjoy everything at Aulani, and I think it’s a shame to not see some of Oahu (besides Waikiki LOL) as well. People think of Waikiki because of Hawaii 5-0 and all the other shows and movies that show the beach with Diamond Head in the background. But it’s just a city with a tiny beach; it was fine for the two nights we needed to stay there, but I have no desire to return.

I personally wouldn’t fly that far, and to somewhere so beautiful, and only stay 3 days and two halves. That’s barely enough time IMHO to enjoy everything at Aulani, and I think it’s a shame to not see some of Oahu (besides Waikiki LOL) as well. People think of Waikiki because of Hawaii 5-0 and all the other shows and movies that show the beach with Diamond Head in the background. But it’s just a city with a tiny beach; it was fine for the two nights we needed to stay there, but I have no desire to return.
Ok, so what would you recommend to do at Aulani to fill 3+ days? And it sounds like you’re saying there’s really not much to do in Waikiki (for the two nights you were there). I’m really looking for some insight because I’ve never been there.

I’ve scoured the internet for Aulani and general Oahu info. And trip reports seem all over the place. Some people, like you, are saying you can barely experience the resort in three days. Other people report going to the resort, going on a UTV tour at the ranch, visiting the North Shore, the Dole Plantation, and then a nice dinner back at the resort all in one day!

Last edited:
Thanks! How soon did you start the points rental process? I have no idea how early I’d need to start to get the kind of room I’d want.

We rented our points in July for a March 10th starting trip. We just got a non view hotel room but were very happy with our view, over the fountain/pond at the entrance with a view of palm trees from inside the room. I had a ocean view hotel room (cash) last year and as beautiful as the view was we just never were in our room. So we decided it wasn't worth the extra $$ for such a short trip.

Because we rented points we got free parking and a discount on our cabana rentals and spa treatments!

Renting points was super easy and I would not do a cash reservation again. We used Davids.

I really don't know the answer to your question regarding whether or not you should stay at Aulani for your first stay since I have never stayed there. It really depends on what you are planning to do while you are there. However, having been to Oahu six times in the past 14 years, I have to say that 3 full days is not even close to having enough time to do much in Hawaii. Airfare to Hawaii has gotten so much more expensive in the past several years, I feel that you probably should at least spend a week there to make sure that it is worth it. Our last trip for a family of five was $4500 for airfare alone from AZ (I believe our in-laws spent at least $750pp flying out of LAX in July).

If you really only have 3 days, I feel that to really get a feel of Oahu, you should stay in Waikiki. Sure, it is busy, but it is easily accessible to a lot of tourist areas. We got Go Oahu cards the first couple times we went to Hawaii. You can easily travel by bus and the trolley in Waikiki as well. We rented a car (Mustang convertible) in the morning and returned it at night, so that we didn't need to pay for parking. It was just the two of us back then and the view on the drive was amazing! There are tons of restaurants and shopping in Waikiki that you can easily walk to.

The past four times we stayed at the Marriott Ko Olina with kids. It is a lot more quiet and relaxing, if that is what you are looking for. I feel that staying in Ko Olina makes us more lazy, lol, in a good way. You are not going to want to go sightseeing everyday since you are going to want to just relax at the pool or the lagoon. Also, I feel that it is harder to go into Honolulu/Waikiki if you are not staying there due to traffic and parking. As much as I'd like to go there for the food, it is just too much of a hassle to drive there. So, usually, we just plan a day trip to Waikiki out of the whole week. Ko Olina is a great area with several more restaurants now compared to when we first started staying there, but it still pales in comparison to the choices you'd have in Waikiki.

Aulani is a really nice hotel, but always super busy whenever we visited the grounds. There are a few other choices in Ko Olina as well: Marriott, the Beach Villas, and Four Seasons. We have always enjoyed the Marriott and have had friends stay at the Beach Villas, which were nice as well. Marriott seems to be more quiet and relaxing to me. However, we plan on staying at Aulani for a few days for our next visit, since our kids want to try the lazy river, in addition to our usual Marriott stay. In any case, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the hotels in Ko Olina or any of the nicer hotels in Waikiki. Hawaii is such a stunning place that I think you will have a great time no matter what.

I don't think Aulani is the best place to stay because it's located too far from the major tourist attractions.

Before deciding on a hotel, select your attractions, pin them to a Google map, and see if you notice any clusters. If you're interested in Diamond Head, Pali Lookout, Hanauma Bay, Ala Moana center, Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, etc., Aulani is not a good choice. Rush hour traffic on Oahu is no joke and it can take 1-2 hours each way to drive from Aulani to Diamond Head. Just this past week, a truck hit a freeway overpass, closing down the ONLY freeway that passes through Kalihi. You can imagine the gridlock.

If you're only here for 5 days, including arrival and departure, I'd try and squeeze in the following:

1. Spend a full day driving around the island. The road will take you past Hanauma bay, blow hole, Sandy Beach, Makapuu lighthouse, Kailua, waterfalls rushing over the Koolaus (on many mornings), China Man's hat, Laie point, the shrimp trucks, North Shore, Matsumoto's, turtle beach, etc.
2. Full day at the beach followed by nice dinner or luau
3. Arizona Memorial (even if the dock isn't fixed), followed by either Bishop Museum or Iolani palace
4. Short morning hikes are great for departure days, Makapuu Lighthouse trail is the best sunrise hike . . . although some may say it's not a "real" hike since the majority of the path is paved road
5. I don't know how much you'll be able to get done on your arrival day, but an evening in Waikiki is always fun

If you prefer a quieter experience, there is a cluster of hotels approx. a mile away from the heart of Waikiki. The Lotus is probably the nicest of the group. There's also the Kahala hotel which is quiet, located on one of the best beaches in town, and has a resort feel.

Absolutely stay at Aulani! We’ve been twice with our kids (now teens) and are going back for Christmas. We’ve always done 3-4 nights at Aulani plus a week on another island, but we fly from the Midwest, so it’s a long way to get there.

I can’t help with renting points since we’re DVC members, but I’ve heard good things about it.

We went into Waikiki on our last trip and couldn’t find anywhere we wanted to eat despite all of the restaurants. We walked on the beach with a gazillion other people then decided to head out. We love NYC, Chicago, etc but a bustling city is not what we enjoy in Hawaii.

How old are your kids? We love to go exploring during the day with a drive up to the North Shore, to Pearl Harbor, to the Punchbowl, to the Polynesian Cultural Center, or to hike up Diamond Head, and then head back to the resort. On our last trip our room was above the Olelo Room, so DH and I hung out on our balcony (one night we went there to get drinks and appetizers) and listened to the music. Perfection!

Our kids were never interested in Aunty’s, but we did a couple of family activities (learn to hula, make leis, etc). The kids love the water slides, and I love the lazy river.

I think your timeframe will give you a small taste of Hawaii. To truly experience Hawaii, you need to get off Oahu (we love Kauai), but you can do that on a future trip.

Waikiki, while iconic (great restaurants and hotels looking toward Diamond Head), is a lot of noisy concrete streets and hotels along a long, mostly very narrow beach. We like to visit to see the Bishop Museum and an evening of high-class (expensive) shopping and dining, but we never stay there for more than one night, if that. Aulani, in contrast, is located in a classy neighborhood with grand landscaping and a beautiful beach cove, along with easier access to the western and north shores. That wins the choice for our family.

Some first-timers come back from Hawaii after staying only on a resort and complain that the flights were long and everything was expensive. Make sure you know *why* you are going to Hawaii and what you want to see.

If all you want is a Disney Resort, the Polynesian is probably a lot closer.

If you want to see Peal Harbor, there's only one in Hawaii.

-Paul

Waikiki, while iconic (great restaurants and hotels looking toward Diamond Head), is a lot of noisy concrete streets and hotels along a long, mostly very narrow beach. We like to visit to see the Bishop Museum and an evening of high-class (expensive) shopping and dining, but we never stay there for more than one night, if that. Aulani, in contrast, is located in a classy neighborhood with grand landscaping and a beautiful beach cove, along with easier access to the western and north shores. That wins the choice for our family.
this.

Some first-timers come back from Hawaii after staying only on a resort and complain that the flights were long and everything was expensive. Make sure you know *why* you are going to Hawaii and what you want to see.

If all you want is a Disney Resort, the Polynesian is probably a lot closer.

If you want to see Peal Harbor, there's only one in Hawaii.
I go to Disneyland all the time so I'm used to things being expensive! :D As for the flight, we're coming from LAX, so not really too much shorter going to Orlando!

Definitely looking to do some Hawaii only things. Really appreciate all the opinions!

Aulani is located in Ko Olina and it is a classy neighborhood. However, it's a small portion of land that has been plopped down in the middle of one of the most socially and economically disadvantaged parts of the island. Kapolei and upper Makakilo are middle class neighborhoods, but much of the western shoreline is poverty stricken. I'm talking kids can't afford shoes and depend on school for a reliable meal poor. The grass is literally greener in Ko Olina because they're the one ones who can afford to water the lawn.

Realistically this trip will be happening in the 12-24 month range… although I’d love to sneak it in this August (only 5 months away). Is it too late for that? How far out do I need to book Aulani and dining?

As mentioned, renting DVC points is typically done in the 7-11 month range so you may be too late for August. If you are flexible with dates and room types, they may be able to find something. But keep in mind refurbishments start August 19th, so it would not be a good time to visit after that date. As far as renting DVC points for an Aulani stay, the pros are that you get a great price on a studio or villa, free laundry, free parking. The cons are that you have to book early and pay in full at time of booking, its non-refundable, and no daily housekeeping. Dining reservations are not as urgent as WDW and can be done a few months in advance.

With that short of time, I don't think Aulani would make sense due to location. As mentioned, its in Ko Olina which is in a rather secluded part of the island. You'd need to drive to go everywhere, so a rental car is a must. They do have organized tours from Aulani but they are expensive and are not an efficient use of your time on such a short trip. Personally, I think Aulani makes the most sense when you have a longer trip and can do a split stay, dedicating the Aulani portion of your stay to enjoying the resort. People choose Aulani because its beautiful and its Disney, so they want to spend time at the actual resort. People do not choose Aulani because of the price or the location, that's for sure.

If you're just staying on Oahu and want to do sightseeing, I would stay in Waikiki. Tons in walking distance, organized bus tours to just about anywhere you want to go - all the major attractions. Hilton Hawaiian Village may be a good choice for you because you get the convenience of Waikiki with the resort amenities, awesome pools, etc. If you get a car, you can easily drive up to Aulani for a meal or spend the day on the beach there. All the beaches in Hawaii are public, so you can visit the Aulani beach and lagoon - you just cannot use their chairs or umbrellas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter