Any Radiology technologists? Have a question

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
My DD21 is considering this field. The banks will be closed until Tuesday(because of the holiday) and we are wondering if banks give student loans for these technical colleges for Radiology technologist? If yes, can you please tell us which banks we can call?

Last edited:
Does she want to be a radiologist or a radiologic technologist? If she wants to be a radiologist that would be medical school first, then specialty training in radiology. If he wants to be a radiologic technologist, I can share what I did. I went to a state junior college program so I got a loan through FAFSA. I know parents can take out student loans as well. That might be a better interest rate than a personal loan through a bank if it's an option for his program.

Last edited:
Does he want to be a radiologist or a radiologic technologist? If he wants to be a radiologist that would be medical school first, then specialty training in radiology. If he wants to be a radiologic technologist, I can share what I did. I went to a state junior college program so I got a loan through FAFSA. I know parents can take out student loans as well. That might be a better interest rate than a personal loan through a bank if it's an option for his program.

It would be technologist, thank you.

I believe the program is $9,000 and will look into FAFSA. Edit- Daughter said she gets only $3,000 from FAFSA.

Last edited:

FAFSA is just the form you have to fill out to receive financial aid from schools that may include things like grants, loans, and work study, etc.

Before you jump into it, you should look around at the different options and what the school requires of the student. I helped a friend look into it recently and the courses are very stringent. Students must get grades of I think 78 or above in major classes. If they don't pass they can try again, but if they fail a second time they are out of the program, for example. It's probably worthwhile to at least look at the grades and study habits of the student enrolling to see if that is something that's realistic for them before spending a lot of money. They can always take general ed credits first to see how they do and get some help that's available if necessary before they start to take classes for their major. The friend I was helping took a hard look at that and decided to go the Surgical Tech route instead.

Edited to answer question. For an education loan I doubt the specific certificate matters if it's an eligible school and degree level Discover, Wells Fargo, Sun Trust, Navient, Parent Plus through FAFSA. Could always do a personal loan too, might be a higher interest rate. Some of the banks above, Citibank.

Last edited:
My student is very good with grades/studying.

What I’m really hoping to know is what bank can give student loans for radiology technician schooling?

I went to school to be a radiologic technologist around 10 years ago and the options were slim for student loans. Sallie Mae was basically it back then. (I was in my early 20’s and married so no parent help for me)

Since Dh and I were just starting out all over after he got out of the military and we had a young daughter that was our only option. I went through Sallie Mae and after a few years I was able to refinance through Navy Federal(again the option to refinance anything with a community college were slim)

If your daughter goes right to work in the field full time and she still lives with you she should be able just knock the loans out pretty quick. (I was stuck working casual status for a few years due to young kid and husbands schedule but knocked them out quick once I was able to work more hours)

I work with many young girls in their early 20’s who are willing to work any hours/any shifts and they make decent money. Many are now going back for their bachelor degrees paying for it while working and using the tuition help they get from the hospital so they will have no loans for that degree.

Another thing that will help is just working while in school. Our dept has many casual status rad tech AID positions where students in the Xray program work a few shifts a month on the weekend or evenings.

I actually looked into this as a possible career change after my divorce. The pay is very good considering the low cost and relatively short duration of most radiologic programs. Ultimately I decided that the program was too rigorous for a single mom, so make sure your daughter is willing and able to devote much of her waking hours to classes, studying, and working for little or no pay for the duration of the program. If I could go back in time and do things differently I would have gone to trade school to be a sonographer, I could have easily doubled my annual salary from what I am currently making and cut my student loans to about 1/4 of the amount I ended up with! The program I looked at was at a local community college with full accreditation and options for financial aid.

Be careful about financial aid--it's actually pretty complicated! Does your daughter have a college degree already? If she has acheived a bachelor's degree she is inelligible for further grants. That was the other obstacle for me. No way I was taking on thousands more in loans when I'm not finished paying for the first batch of college loans.

Look at the programs in your area very carefully, narrow your options down to 2-3 schools, then make appointments with academic advisors/counselors at the schools. Then while you are on campus you can swing by financial aid and get an idea of what your options are. That's what I did and everyone was very helpful. Do it soon though because the programs are very competitive and can fill up fast, at least in my area, and fall 2019 programs are probably enrolling right now.

Last edited:
I would check with the Financial Aid office at the school. Even the smaller technical schools will have someone who can help answer your questions.

Daughter doesn’t have a degree already. She is actually enrolled in a college but isn’t happy with her major so that’s why she is considering the technologist career. She would be working as well as going to school.

If she will continue to work, have her ask about the clinical rotation requirements and scheduling. When my SIL was going to school for her RT, she had to do a lot of clinicals and the hours were not scheduled at her convenience or at the same time as her classes, she was told when she had hours and where. She had to trade a lot of shifts at her job in order to make it work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!