• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any problems with theft at the Fort?

NC State Tigger

'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger
Our first trip this year to the fort is just around the corner. We have camped multiple times over the years at the Fort and never worried about leaving this out and unsecured camping there.

Last year while camping at a large KOA in another state we had 2 "nice" outdoor reclining chairs stolen from our campsite. We were not in a remote site---the chairs were folded and leaning against the TT. Ever since DH insists on "locking up" stuff before we leave a campsite. I find all this locking up a real pain!!

Has anyone had anything taken from your site at the fort? Do you lock up or put away things like chairs, bikes, fans, etc?

We just got back from a lovely week at the fort. There were many campsites with lots of stuff outside. I feel a bit more secure when at Disney but you never know. Have a great trip!

I have only read of random theft. Similar to mischievous kids borrowing a bike. But my philosophy is IF it is valuable and small enough to carry off secure it. Last time we were at the Fort we left our cheap folding chairs and bicycles out without any problems.

Our first trip this year to the fort is just around the corner. We have camped multiple times over the years at the Fort and never worried about leaving this out and unsecured camping there.

Last year while camping at a large KOA in another state we had 2 "nice" outdoor reclining chairs stolen from our campsite. We were not in a remote site---the chairs were folded and leaning against the TT. Ever since DH insists on "locking up" stuff before we leave a campsite. I find all this locking up a real pain!!

Has anyone had anything taken from your site at the fort? Do you lock up or put away things like chairs, bikes, fans, etc?

We have been camping at the Fort since *for ever* and have never had anything taken from our site there. But we don't leave our site with things scattered all over. We have seen many sites where people are very disorganized and leave chairs, toys, bikes, etc. all over the site when they are not there.

There *has* been thefts there, but it doesn't seem to be a *huge* problem. No cc is 100% immune to it - even Disney ;)

We would definitely lock our bikes to a tree, table, or something if we left them. That is our own personal feelings, as we have expensive bikes. But, having said that, from what I've seen there, it doesn't seem like most people do.

I can understand where your dh is coming from - once something happens to you, you are a lot more cautious, so you will have to go by your *gut feelings* and do what makes you feel the most secure.

When we have chairs at cc's we always fold them and put them under the awning, but that's what you did, and they were taken - go figure! :confused3

Have a great time, and hopefully all will go well for you on this trip! pixiedust:

We have never had anything stolen from any campground but still lock vehicles, campers, chain bikes. Last time at Magic Kingdom in 2011 someone did take a pin off of my grandsons stroller that said First Visit. They could have gotten one for free but guess it was easier to take his! LOL!

We have never had anything stolen, however, on two different visits we have had someone mess with our golf cart. Both times the battery was tinkered with so that the cart wouldn't work. We were able to figure it out and fix it... but coming off the bus after EMH at 1 am made it a bit frustrating. We actually caught the person in the act the 2nd time and I thought my husband would adjust his face... but he claimed he thought it was a friend's and he was playing a joke. Unfortuanate for him, he did the same thing to 5 other carts and when people started getting off the bus and their cart wouldn't run, it became apparent that he was just being mean. After that we put a "safety" around the battery... my husband rigged something up. He is like Macguyver ;) Don't know why people are mean.

We lock the camper and truck when we leave no matter where we camp (NP, SP, KOA, FW). Never had an issue at FW, but there are always people who want what others have and will take what they want. Having said that, I try not to leave anything unsecured that I cannot live without. It's pretty easy to chain bikes and chairs just for extra security. FW CM's are always around checking CS and taking trash. They are as much a deterrent as any chain or lock. The majority of folks at FW are just looking to enjoy themselves.

I had my bike stolen in 2007. :furious: No I didn't lock it (lesson learned). It was parked in the bike rack by the buses at the settlement. I figured someone got off the bus and was tired and wanted to get back to their site quick. They took my bike and either took it home or ditched it in a canal. :mad: We'll never know.

I also had all my towels stolen from Typhoon Lagoon last summer. Nothing like a good rain storm and you go back to your seat and all your towels have walked away on "their own 2 feet":confused3

In all my places camping, I never had an issue with items like chairs or towels finding feet. But anything of value that someone could walk or ride off with is secured when leaving the site for any long periods of time. But that I mean RV locked, cars locked, bikes chained to something, and golf car turned off an key on me.

However, there is always that person that feels that you have enough and its ok for them to take what they want unfortunately.

In all my years of visiting both WDW and staying at the campground have only had one thing go missing. During a trip in the late 80's in a tent at FW I had a 4-pack of wine coolers go missing from my cooler which was left out by the bench. I also heard people (kids i'm assuming) rummaging through the site as I lie awake in the tent alone with my 4 yo daughter....not the best night of my life that's for sure.

We just got back a couple of weeks ago and we never locked up anything after the first day.
We left out chairs, bike, fishing poles, camping table and stove. I have to say that I was at first worried about it, as my chairs costed me $99 each, but in the end we felt better about it.
Everyone seems to do the same, as all sites around us had chairs out with cooking stoves. My grandchildren locked their bikes up the first day and after that they didn't. But of course you do take a chance, anytime you leave stuff out without securing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter