• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any Pod Squad members in Half Marathon?

clombardi

DIS Veteran
I am running (well probably running/walking) in the Half Marathon for the first time in January 2009. My family is coming to watch but I am not running with anyone. Just wondered if any of my fellow Pod Squadders were running and need a buddy!

While we run, we could role play and pretend we are John & Kevin, Corey & Julie, Pete & Walter, Bawb & Dianer, Ursula & her cistern(though I doubt a cistern would talk much), Will & Ursula's DD. Just imagine the entertainment that we could create to get us through those 13 miles!

Good luck! I ran in the half marathon for the first time this year and had a blast. Just noticed that the half is already full for 2009, so I guess I won't be running next year.:sad2: Have a blast! I ran "alone", but you are never actually alone, obviously.

Thanks for the good luck Kiddoc! I am a bit nervous about it since I am not a runner and haven't been athletic for many years. I have been improving my time every day, though, so that makes me less nervous.

This is really important for me to do because the 1/2 marathon is part of my motivation for quitting smoking after 20 years which has not been an easy task! I can use all the support I can get. Thanks again!

Thanks for the good lick Kiddoc! I am a bit nervous about it since I am not a runner and haven't been athletic for many years. I have been improving my time every day, though, so that makes me less nervous.

This is really important for me to do because the 1/2 marathon is part of my motivation for quitting smoking after 20 years which has not been an easy task! I can use all the support I can get. Thanks again!

Congrats on running the 1/2 and on quitting smoking. I quit smoking many years ago and it was by far the toughest thing I've ever done. I will be running (walking) the Minnie 15K, but couldn't fit the 1/2 in (maybe next year). From what I've read you will have plenty of support from others Disers. Hop over to the WISH board if you haven't already, you'll find tons of support. http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

I'm in for the 2009 half-marathon! Got in on the registration early as I knew it would fill up quickly. Booked airfare (unless Delta plans on cancelling those flights....) but still trying to figure out where to stay. Heading down with a military friend of mine, so we were thinking Shades....but both of us have always wanted to stay on or about the Boardwalk, so renting DVC points is a possibility....not sure yet....

Looking forward to the experience though, I hear it's awesome!

Will you be bringing the stroller? That might get in the way! I have always wanted to stay at SoG, too. Think Stroller Girl would mind if I bunk with you guys? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Have you run other 1/2 marathons or distance events?

Boy I really wanted to do this but by the time I made up my mind, they were all booked up! I tell ya I won't hesitate a minute for the 2010 run.

Good luck to all that made the entry for 2009:thumbsup2

I will be running my first Half-Marathon at WDW in 2009! I have done the St. Louis Half twice and loved it! I will be down there alone, so I will be looking for some friendly faces!

Thanks,
Mike
www.beourguestpodcast.com

I'm in for the 09 Full marathon. I must be crazy because the only running I have done lately is to the bathroom after eating some mexican food.:laughing:

Will you be bringing the stroller? That might get in the way! I have always wanted to stay at SoG, too. Think Stroller Girl would mind if I bunk with you guys? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Have you run other 1/2 marathons or distance events?

:rotfl: Too funny! Actually "Stroller Girl/Wife" will be home with the kids this go round, she's planning on being ready for the 2010 half. Going down with a military friend who decided he wanted to run it as well.

As for running history...nope.... I've played various sports throughout HS and College career (joined the fantasy football team at the on-line college I'm currently attending...), but never ran unless chased.... I used to make fun of those people that ran for fun, until Feb of this year! Decided I wanted to run the half, and off I went. Ran a couple of 5k's and signed up for a 10 miler later this summer. Planning on a half for the fall, local race, but we'll see if I'm ready.

If anyone is looling for support in their goal for the half-marathon jump on over to the allaboutthemouse boards and join in on the "Team Voice" chat. Just a bunch of people with various goals for entering the race, some for weight loss, others "just cause"... I suppose the Team Voice motto sums it up "many goals, one voice". Great group of people!

Mike,

That would be great if we met at the 1/2. I am thinking of joining in the W.I.S.H boards that a poster above suggested to me. I went over there and it was a fun forum. maybe you should check it out!

I'm a teacher, too, by the way. What do you teach? I teach 5th grade reading, writing, and math.

Tissa, maybe you can eat at the San Angel at EPCOT the night before the race!

I was planning on it, but was full by the time I got my act together. Oh well. There's always next year! I guess I should start...you know...actually running.

Hope y'all have a great time at the Half! You'll have to keep us posted how your training is going!

I am doing the half in 2009! I actually have never posted on this particular board before but I listen to the podcast all the time. I do like the W.I.S.H. events/competition board too.

I've done the disney half before... that's me finishing the 2007 half in the picture below my screen name!

I listen to this podcast on my ipod while I run. Having something fun to look forward to listening to is a great motivator to get me out the door! Speaking of which, it's time to download today's episode and go for a jog.

:sunny:

Didn't even realize there was a group on these boards as well for running event support! Apologies for plugging another board ;)

I'm not running, but my wife is running the 1/2 marathon. This will be her first time and I'm so proud of her! All of you who are brave enough to take on this challenge, totally amaze me. There's no way I could run a 1/2 marathon, or even a 1/4 marathon! :lmao:

I'll be supporting ya all from the sidelines though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter