• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any other theater people out there?

FantasticDisFamily

<font color=navy>Sent <font color=red>on a <font c
Just wondering if there was anyone else out there that has theater in their blood as one of their addictions - oops I mean hobbies?
Deb

My sister, MsSocks, does. She is involved in a local theater group that does a musical every year. I'm sending her the link to this thread.

I wasn't involved while I was in school. However, for a long while I was heavily involved in the music program at our church & directed a number of musicals - both for adults & the kids. I found that I'm as obsessive about that as other areas of my life, such as scrapbooking. ;) I absolutely loved doing it!!!! But too many things got ignored around the house while I was doing it. :blush:

Dh and I were both in plays and musicals in high school. DD (Keli) has been in the middle school musicals for the past two years. This year she quit after auditions. We have a substitute drama teacher for the rest of the year and Keli thinks she does not like her (I tend to agree but that is another thread) so she decided she would rather play softball. I am pretty sure she'll go back to drama next year in high school.

Oh my - yes! Deb was right I am INVOLVED. It's been 18 years now. This year we did Titanic! ( who knew it was a musical? ) and the boat sank, bow up in the air, each night. Others who are involved also each seem to have their own crafty talent that they bring to the table - or stage in this case. It must be in the blood!

You can check out photos of a few shows at www.laymenplaymen.org but the rest of the info is down because someone hacked into our website. :sad2: And we are a charity group!

Kewl! We're doing "Working" at the high school this year. DH & I are major volunteers as kids are involved. DS is all tech, having done 1 show on stage and discovering he really likes the backstage better - lights & soung. DD loves being on stage but when she can't she works tech.

We loaded the show into the auditorium this weekend and man am I sore today! Usually, we have a couple weeks leading up to the show we can start assembling the set on stage. Not this year, as a band fesitval was scheduled in without the approval of the auditorium manager. After all, the show isn't until this coming weekend so why would we need it last week? :confused3 A comment ONLY a non-theater person could make.

But it looks great, lights and sound were loading, and my particular area (costumes) are essentially set. A few odds & ends the kids need to bring tonight because they haven't yet. Tonight is the technical cue run and thankfully I don't have to be there for that. But the rest of the week it is run out of the office as soon as I can and head for the theater. DH has taken the end of the week as vacation time!

Deb

Deb - I was only somewhat involved with theater in HS. The whole world knew, however, that you did not even think about using teh auditorium witout teh drama teacher's approval! No wonder you had to work so hard this weekend! Good luck with the show!

I am a total theater junkie. I teach HS Orchestra and in addition I direct our HS musical. It is a tremendous amount of work but I love it!!! My 17 yr old son plays Bass and plays in alot of pit orchestras and my 9 yr old son has been involved in community theater since he was 4. He absolutely loves the stage. We see alot of shows in Manhattan (which can be very expensive for a family of 4 but I think it is money well spent). :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter