Any one ever "flipped" their axles? small update

tiggereyore

The laughter of a child is the light of a house
Since the snow has finally melted and I can actually think about getting te camper out from it's "snowsuit"(as the boys call it). My Dh and I had talked about having this done or Him doing it (he can weld no problem) We have a Mallard 25 A and it scrapes so bad just going up and down our driveway (which is steep) nnever mind our dumb Railroad bridge that we have to stop on the top of crank up the bars then me ride on the bumper of the camper to make it over and then look out when you take the bars down,and have left more than our far share of scrapes in gas stations from here to disney. I mean that it sits so low the bottem step is almost always on the ground, I think the most I've seen it off was at Fort Wilderness then it was maybe 3". Even if we gain 3" that would help. I've heard some gain as much as 6". I've looked into Dexteraxle.com to get the kits or should I just lump it and try to find a dealer that I'll probably have to haul it 50-100 to have it done?
Anyone??

Finally found a place semi close to home. They are a leaf shop in Barre and it goes in tomorrow at 7 am and should be out by noon. Just in time for the trip for the 4th. Now I'm worried I'm doing the wrong thing and it will really mess up the towing. Tell me I'm okay (I know I am just those dang jitters)

I had checked this site and irv2. They had the info also. I was just wondering if anyone here had done this or had a shop in NH, VT or the are had it done by a shop. I didn't realize though how common of a problem and how many people had done it.
Anyone here done this?

While I have not doen it myself, I have read several accounts of those who have doen it on a pop up. If you have Dexter axles on your TT, Dexter sells a "flip kit" so you can do it with little or no problem.

Generally it adds 4 - 5 inches to your rise, and folks have talked of the need for an additional step to get to the stock steps.

I'll try to find the sites with the description. As I remember, no welding required.

We had problems with our class C Toyota Motorhome bottoming out. My husband installed air bags in the rear. We just make sure that the pressure was correct as they do slowly lose pressure (similar to tires). You would be amazed how much of a lift it gave us. My husband estimated 4 - 5 inches.

We had a trailer once that drug real bad. DH put the springs on top of the axle somehow and it really gave us serious clearance.
He reversed the shakles somehow so that instead of the springs being under the axle he put them on top. He bought heavier axless and better springs. I just know I had no problems with the rear draggin anymore.

Thank you all.
PenskeSth 1 That's excatly what I was talking about.
my3princes Hello neighbor I'm in West Hartford, we had thought of that but are planning on trading within 2 years. The boys are growing so fast and the bunks are very narrow. Plus no slide room and when we camp it's usually with a group and all the kids gravitate inside our unit.
tim5055 I haven't crawled under it nor can I get into it due to it's cover to get to the manuals

I did call Elher's RV in Essex Jct (1 1/2 hrs north) they have done many tt's and could due the job for about $250 Only $50 of its parts the rest Labor UGH! Dh could due it but like he said it's a pain to have to jack it up and stuff. So I guess the 1st trip out will be to get that done.
I can't wait not to drag and (hopefully) not have to ride on the back bumper of this thing to get over the bridge. I'll let you know how it goes.

Have tried a dealer in Mass? There is one right off 91 north of Springfield called Longview RV. I work at Campers Inn and we are in Merrimack NH but that is farther than the one in VT but if you need to talk to Tech let me know and give me a call at the office.... I will put you in touch with one of our service writers who is a Master Tech....

My work number is (603) 883-1082

I am of Tue and Wed but work the other 5....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter