Any New Year's Eve reports?

Tink33

Disneyland Parade High Kicker
I watched the live feed on Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years. It looked packed. Any first hand accounts?

I was in the Magic Kingdom to ring in the New Year. I chaparoned my son's marching band. What a week! I need a vacation from my vacation--going back to work will be relaxing.

It poured yesterday afternoon in Anaheim. My son's band was scheduled to march in the 2:55 pre-show for the parade. All of us parents huddled under an awning on Main Street waiting for our offspring to march by. We waited and waited. Thanks to cell phones we got pretty up to date info. Disney canceled the Christmas parade and replaced it with Mickey's Rainy Day Calvacade--two buses loaded with characters.

There were two other bands scheduled to march. There are a ton of marching bands in Southern California this week with all the bowl games. The other two bands weren't in uniform when it started to rain so they bailed. Our kids and band director wanted the show to go on. So they marched and by the time they got to where we were standing many of them looked like drowned rats.

The rain really seemed to put a damper on attendance. It stopped sometime after 5. At about 8:00 pm my husband and I got in line for the California Screamer. The standby wait time was 45 minutes. After riding that we had a glass of wine and headed back to the Magic Kingdom. We had no trouble meeting our fellow chaperones on Main Street and had pretty close to front row seats for the fireworks.

When I was a kid I spent a couple New Years Eve's in Disney World. I remember being shoulder to shoulder with other guests. Last night was nothing like what I remember. It was a fairly pleasant way to ring in the New Year even with wet socks! And all our kids had a blast. They were tired puppies on the plane ride home this afternoon.

Happy New Year all!

It was packed. The first part of the morning wasn't too bad, but got worse as the day went. We got to the parking structure at 6am and it opened at 6:30. The opened the main gates to regular folk at about 7:45 (which was great since we need to get a locker) and had rope drop at 8. We rode Space Mountain via the wheelchair line (which was non-existant) and using FPs rode Buzz. We went on a few Fantasyland Rides before the Buzz FPs via wheelchair entrances (Peter Pan, Carousel).

Then we headed to Frontierland and got in line for Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. While it was only around 9:30, we weren't first in line (we were second). At 10:45 we watched Laughing Stock's shootout from the Golden Horseshoe porch. At 11:15 they let us in. Since we had a big group, we took up half the front row. We ate lunch and watched the show. After the show, the Billys were taking some pics with audience members and we stayed in for a few minutes to wish them a happy new year and tell them we'd be back for the 5:30 show. By this time it was raining.

We went over to ROA to see if another person we knoew was there and he was, but as it was raining, no one wanted to hang out over there. We met some nice Japanese tourists there who gave one of our group members a pin from Tokyo DL. Some of the group left (one wasn't feeling well) and the rest of us went on HMH. After HMH, we weren't sure what to do. We took the train over to Tomorrowland and hung out in Innoventions for an hour or so (it was very crowded in there) then grabbed some pasta at Pizza Port. After we ate, we went back to the Horseshoe for the last Billys of 2005. We got front and center (yay). It was possibly the best Billys show of the year. They sang "I Want you to Want Me" for the second song. My friend and I wanted to hear that song for out B-day celebration on Dec 17, but there was a sub in for the lead singer and they don't do that song with subs. We had asked for it a few days before but didn't get it. I think the Billly we had asked remembered and reminded the lead singer, Billy Elvis, that we wanted to hear it and we got it.

When we left the Horseshoe, the rain had stopped and we got our stuff out of the lockers. We went to ROA and sure enough, they were setting up for Fantasmic. It was so damp still, though, that tarps and anything else set on the ground to be sat upon still got wet on top. A good zydeco band played before the first show and between shows. During the show, the glass in front of the center projector was fogged and the animation didn't look so good (they wiped it down between shows) and they weren't able to do all the stunts on the Columbia (too wet). Also, we were a little lacking in characters on the Mark Twain (no chimney sweeps, Goofy, or Woody). Then it was time for Remember, which was a little smokier than normal. The second show lacked the projector problems, but the wind was starting to blow towards us so we got a little wetter.

The band played 2 sets in between shows. We could barely see the midnight fireworks because the smoke was blowing towards us and the 12:10 fantasmic was nearly impossible to see as the smoke was blowing right into us (Where's Mickey?), plus we were getting soaked from the mist screens. By now I was cold, wet and miserable (never mind exausted). We made an attempt to ride Space again via the wheelchair line, but we decided that it was way too long and not moving, so we ended up leaving around 1:15.

We weren't there this year, but we did visit to ring in 2000. We waited an hour to get into the park, 3 hours to get into a sit-down restaurant and 2 hours or so per ride. It was ridiculous. After midnight, we tried to make our way out of Adventureland and got 'stuck' with about 300 other people trying to do the same thing - too many people to fit across the little draw bridge. It was actually a little scary. We won't do New Year's there again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter