Any lawyers want to settle a "discussion?"

What evidence shows a leak besides a spot on the bathroom ceiling? Is this a bathroom where a shower is regularly used? Is there a vapor barrier installed in the attic? How well is the bathroom ventilated?

What evidence shows a leak besides a spot on the bathroom ceiling? Is this a bathroom where a shower is regularly used? Is there a vapor barrier installed in the attic? How well is the bathroom ventilated?

It is coming through the rafters in the attic. SH has a ladder stashed near the entry and practically lives upo there when it rains. The stain on the ceiling in the bathroom appeared and thats when he went up there searching.

Sounds like it might take a metal roofing professional to test the situation by taking a hose up on the roof and observing how and where the water flows.

I don't know what the costs involved are but if it's under $5K, I doubt a lawyer would be interested in even discussing this. It sounds like it would be a small claims case and since you have the paperwork specifying the warranty, it sounds like you could do well in small claims if you want to take it that far.

Oh, we have done this.

It is a nightmare.

I hope you find the right professional to uncover the specific defect and correct it.

As far as involving a lawyer, the threshold of damages would have to be pretty high to make that worthwhile. It sounds like the warranty was for the repair work only which is going to have limits on the scope of work involved. IMO you're farther ahead locating the correct professional to arrive at the actual problem and solution needed. I can empathize with your husband's anger, but I think it's a waste of time and energy.

I hope you find the right professional to uncover the specific defect and correct it.

As far as involving a lawyer, the threshold of damages would have to be pretty high to make that worthwhile. It sounds like the warranty was for the repair work only which is going to have limits on the scope of work involved. IMO you're farther ahead locating the correct professional to arrive at the actual problem and solution needed. I can empathize with your husband's anger, but I think it's a waste of time and energy.

Me too. He was not happy with the answers here, but I said, "you asked"
For some reason he thinks a lawyer is a miracle worker, and I think he wanted that to be validated. I do feel badly though, because that guy sure had him convinced he was going to fix the issue.

Thanks all for your feedback. I di appreciate a viewpoint not so close to thsi as we are.

Me too. He was not happy with the answers here, but I said, "you asked"
For some reason he thinks a lawyer is a miracle worker, and I think he wanted that to be validated. I do feel badly though, because that guy sure had him convinced he was going to fix the issue.

Thanks all for your feedback. I di appreciate a viewpoint not so close to thsi as we are.
I understand the frustration and I'd still press for getting my money back. But at the end of the day, none of it, even a court settlement, stops the freakin' roof from leaking. Sorry. :flower3:

No. The only one who did is my client who did repair the flashing for us in the first place. He had told my DH that if the leak was still there, then the next step would not be fun, but would entail pulling panels up. He also was not at all impressed with the original installation, but that is water under the dam. I am glad my friend has a wonderful new position that took him out of his business, but boy! I sure wish we had been able to get this fixed while he was here!

If your DH instructed him to check the entire roof & he charged you for that, I'd definitely expect him to return to fix it or refund your money. If your DH & he agreed on him trying to seal a targeted area, I doubt you'll get much more out of him. I can't imagine he's guaranteeing the entire roof, if he wasn't paid to check the entire surface & repair all leaks. He's probably only guaranteeing the section he worked on. Unfortunately, from what you've said, that probably isn't the problem area. It sounds like you've paid multiple people to fix the same non-problem area. That has to be extremely frustrating. I don't think I'd pay anyone else to attempt to seal that area. I hope you can find someone who knows what they're doing & will check the entire roof for leaks. Hopefully, you won't need to replace it. Good luck!

ETA: It may be worth your while to have your DH & DS('s) to spend a day looking for the leak. They could find tips on Google. My MIL paid three people to seal a leak on her roof, but it still leaked. After the 3rd person, my DH told her not to pay anyone else. He told her he would fix it, when we went up there to visit. He spent an entire day looking for the leak. He finally found it & fixed it. It wasn't in the same area the others were "fixing". DH isn't a roofer. He's not even in the construction field. He was simply the only person willing to take the time to thoroughly check the roof & find the leak.

FWIW, my MIL also has a metal roof. DH recommends checking the screws that hold the sections togethers & checking above the chimney. He says the screws can have rubber seals that dry rot. He mentioned other ideas, but they're over my head. If your DH would like more help trouble shooting ideas, I will have my DH read your posts. Our DH's could use our accounts to PM each other & try to solve the problem without costing you more money. At least, it's worth a try.

Last edited:
Your warranty is spelled out in the wording on of the signed contract. Could post what you have so the lawyers here can actually read the body and determine the strength of it.
Maybe "Small Claims Court" then Judge Judy or People's Court :cool1:

We had a re-roof years ago. Leak traveled 15 feet from origin to appearance. With shingles removed the plywood was soft where the leak started but not where it showed up. Sometimes you just have to remove to locate.

We just had a plumbing leak. Florida in slab plumbing so it was a re-plumb in attic of complete house. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Good luck !!!

IF you do not get satisfaction, I would contact Department of Consumer Affairs in your state to register an official complaint. When I investigate a potential contractor, first I ensure that their professional license is up to date. Then, I check with the Department of Consumer Affairs to investigate if there are any complaints against the license, and if so, what is the nature of the complaint and has the complaint been resolved. You will be helping someone who is contemplating this contractor. GOOD LUCK in resolvingpixiedust:...so frustrating undoubtedly.:(

If your DH instructed him to check the entire roof & he charged you for that, I'd definitely expect him to return to fix it or refund your money. If your DH & he agreed on him trying to seal a targeted area, I doubt you'll get much more out of him. I can't imagine he's guaranteeing the entire roof, if he wasn't paid to check the entire surface & repair all leaks. He's probably only guaranteeing the section he worked on. Unfortunately, from what you've said, that probably isn't the problem area. It sounds like you've paid multiple people to fix the same non-problem area. That has to be extremely frustrating. I don't think I'd pay anyone else to attempt to seal that area. I hope you can find someone who knows what they're doing & will check the entire roof for leaks. Hopefully, you won't need to replace it. Good luck!

ETA: It may be worth your while to have your DH & DS('s) to spend a day looking for the leak. They could find tips on Google. My MIL paid three people to seal a leak on her roof, but it still leaked. After the 3rd person, my DH told her not to pay anyone else. He told her he would fix it, when we went up there to visit. He spent an entire day looking for the leak. He finally found it & fixed it. It wasn't in the same area the others were "fixing". DH isn't a roofer. He's not even in the construction field. He was simply the only person willing to take the time to thoroughly check the roof & find the leak.

FWIW, my MIL also has a metal roof. DH recommends checking the screws that hold the sections togethers & checking above the chimney. He say the screws can have rubber seals that dry rot. He mentioned other ideas, but they're over my head. If your DH would like more help trouble shooting ideas, I will have my DH read your posts. Our DH's could use our accounts to PM each other & try to solve the problem without costing you more money. At least, it's worth a try.

I think that is what is most frustrating to him. I cannot rememebr exactly wahat is on the invoice, but FWIW,I remember that it was not guarantying the whole roof. Buddy wants that at this point, and clearly we do not agree. Frankly, all I want is the money back.

We have replaced every stinkin screw and washer thing on that roof. Every. Single. One. And there are a crap ton of screws up there. Buddy would be the best one to go look for the leak. He thinks it is coming from over the chimney and traveling down.

I thank you for your help, I really do. I will tell Buddy that your husband is willing to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!