Any insight? I’m so sad. We leave in 2 weeks and I’ve been SO sick for 3 weeks

ChicagoJ

Mouseketeer
ive had the most violent cough, haven’t felt like eating, not sleeping well. I’m SO rundown. I had mono in college and I feel like this has been worse. Did a round of antibiotics and I’m going back to dr tomorrow to beg for an inhaler and as many drugs as they’ll give me. I know 4 other people who have this so it’s definitely something that’s goings around. I can barely walk 100 ft without being exhausted. How will I do Disney in 2 weeks! Our days are pretty easy bc we have a 1 st grader who I don’t want melting down but I still feel like I’ll slow them down. I worked so hard to pay for this super pricey trip for a year. We had to reschedule it once already so we’ve been waiting for this for over a year. We tell dd tomorrow. Any advice? Insight? I know my h can take dd and I can stay st poly but that makes me sad. Long story but my co I own has taken me away from my dd for a long time and she’s been feeling really sad about that as have I. I have immense mom guilt and have been looking forward to spending this special time with her and h with no distractions. I don’t want to be away from them on vacay.

Our schedule:
Day 1- MK rope drop, fast passes
Lunch at plaza
Back to resort after lunch
Back to MK around dinner and stay until close

Day 2- same but at Epcot

Day 3- resort

Day 4 - same as Day 1

Two weeks is a long time to go. Hang in there, and rest up. Sending good vibes!

Would you consider renting a scooter just do cut down on some of the walking between attractions? It might help with your stamina if you still aren't feeling well when you get to WDW. I think the fact that you have afternoon rests and 1 full rest day built into your itinerary is going to help a lot. I once went to WDW after recovering from a fairly prolonged illness that I couldn't shake and long afternoon naps helped a lot while we were there. I hope you feel better soon.

I had something similar back in late September and it seemed endless. 2 weeks is long enough that I bet you feel a lot better by then.

Maybe ask about a dose of steroid. I had a cough last Jan/Feb that wouldn't go away for weeks and saw the dr twice because I was sure it was pneumonia but then when I went back for a follow up the Dr was at a conference and I got a fill in Dr who gave me a short dose of steroids and the cough was better in 48 hours! I was both happy and mad! (that we hadn't tried that weeks ago!)

I know it stinks but don't go out there and try and over do it. If you feel that cruddy, get rest and take care of yourself. You won't do yourself or anyone else any good if you get out there and make you situation even worse.

I'm sorry if I sound preachy.

You may improve a lot in two weeks.

I have caught a nasty cold a couple time while at Disney, and I just made sure I got as much rest as possible and kept to a light schedule. The only time I was actually confined to my room was with the fever and chills flu several years ago at WL. I couldn’t even get out of bed other than to go to the bathroom, and I was glad I had ended up in an accessible room with tons of grab bars for that trip.

Don’t rule out an ECV for a day or two if you need it.

Be sure to tell your doctor about your upcoming trip and ask him/her the best way to build your stamina. Ask what you can expect in terms of recovery over the next couple of weeks and plan accordingly.

Maybe ask about a dose of steroid. I had a cough last Jan/Feb that wouldn't go away for weeks and saw the dr twice because I was sure it was pneumonia but then when I went back for a follow up the Dr was at a conference and I got a fill in Dr who gave me a short dose of steroids and the cough was better in 48 hours! I was both happy and mad! (that we hadn't tried that weeks ago!)

Agreed! Prednisone does wonders for me if I get respiratory type infections. Maybe something to ask your Doctor about.

Sending good vibes, and hoping you are feeling much better before ur trip. 2 weeks is a long time, rest plenty, hydrate, and
Ignore that mom guilt feeling. Ur with ur family, ur at Disney... it’s All good. Enjoy!

ive had the most violent cough, haven’t felt like eating, not sleeping well. I’m SO rundown. I had mono in college and I feel like this has been worse. Did a round of antibiotics and I’m going back to dr tomorrow to beg for an inhaler and as many drugs as they’ll give me. I know 4 other people who have this so it’s definitely something that’s goings around. I can barely walk 100 ft without being exhausted. How will I do Disney in 2 weeks! Our days are pretty easy bc we have a 1 st grader who I don’t want melting down but I still feel like I’ll slow them down. I worked so hard to pay for this super pricey trip for a year. We had to reschedule it once already so we’ve been waiting for this for over a year. We tell dd tomorrow. Any advice? Insight? I know my h can take dd and I can stay st poly but that makes me sad. Long story but my co I own has taken me away from my dd for a long time and she’s been feeling really sad about that as have I. I have immense mom guilt and have been looking forward to spending this special time with her and h with no distractions. I don’t want to be away from them on vacay.

Our schedule:
Day 1- MK rope drop, fast passes
Lunch at plaza
Back to resort after lunch
Back to MK around dinner and stay until close

Day 2- same but at Epcot

Day 3- resort

Day 4 - same as Day 1

To me, this actually sounds more viral than bacterial. Perhaps your doctor can put you on an anti viral medication? Have you been checked for Epstein Barr virus? I'd definitely speak to the doctor about your upcoming trip, and also make sure you're not contagious. I wish you all the best, please keep us posted!

I was sick almost all summer. Good enough for work and vacations but never feeling even 80% okay. I was run down, sinus infections didnt feel like eating and missed days at the gym, where I usually go daily.

I was on a couple of rounds of antibiotics and the third time I went to the doctors they gave me steriods to take for five days and that made such a difference.

Good luck. I hope you feel better.

Last edited:
Would you consider renting a scooter just do cut down on some of the walking between attractions? It might help with your stamina if you still aren't feeling well when you get to WDW. I think the fact that you have afternoon rests and 1 full rest day built into your itinerary is going to help a lot. I once went to WDW after recovering from a fairly prolonged illness that I couldn't shake and long afternoon naps helped a lot while we were there. I hope you feel better soon.

Ugggh no more scooters. She is not handicap. She has a cold. Come on. People like you are the reason we are over run with those scooters.

Renting a scooter is a wonderful idea! Because it's either that or nothing, should you not recover in time. And you can compromise and be in the parks for just half a day. Just don't get caught in the Perfection Trap -- if it's not perfect then it's worthless.

Ugggh no more scooters. She is not handicap. She has a cold. Come on. People like you are the reason we are over run with those scooters.
If you are sick or injured, you are temporarily handicapped. That's why they wheel people around in the hospital. And it's not sick people that's making Disney full of scooters.

Sounds like what I came BACK from Orlando with a d apparently have given to the DH now.

They said it’s viral and it has to run its course - they suggested musenex, cough syrup, and my inhalers (I have asthma)

I second (or third?) the scooter - it will make the trip a little better

In addition to all the thoughtful advice everyone else has given, I will also add that it sounds like your daughter is going to really value the time spent with YOU over anything else that happens! Disney can be overwhelming for adults, much less small children, so I imagine that as long as you set expectations for everyone (including yourself!) appropriately, nobody is going to have a bad trip going at whatever speed you need to.

If you are sick or injured, you are temporarily handicapped. That's why they wheel people around in the hospital. And it's not sick people that's making Disney full of scooters.

I agree. A couple of times I caught a bad cold at Disney, that made it very hard to breathe, and of course made it very tiring touring the parks. An ECV would have meant I was able to leave the room for the day instead of just an hour here and there. Sometimes it takes a while for the congestion to completely leave the lungs, and it just saps your energy. Having used an ECV a couple times over the years, I can honestly say I cannot understand anyone who uses one that doesn't need to. It's incredibly difficult to avoid hitting people who dart in front of you, and you can't relax and just take in the view, because you're constantly on alert. But if you need one, for any reason, it's nice they are available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter