Any grocery stores nearby?

Lady Hiss

Mouseketeer
We're excited to be planning a trip to Hawaii in February (4 adults). The plan is 3 nights at Aulani, staying in a 2BR Villa, then going to Maui for a week. :yay:

In the interest of saving a little $$, we opted to get an airport transfer from HNL to Aulani, and just rent a car to go to Pear Harbor one day while spending the rest of our stay just chilling at Aulani. Oops. We forgot that we'll need a few groceries for our villa. Is there anyplace to get snacks, water, lunchmeat within walking distance of the resort? Or are we going to have to rent a car to do a quick grocery run someplace?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, suggestions.

There is an Island Country Market across the road in the strip mall http://islandcountrymarkets.com/ that is within walking distance but you will have a smaller range & higher prices then if you drive to Kapolei. Located 10mins away, there are Safeway, Foodland, Costco, Target and a Walmart with much wider ranges and prices.

For the few items you describe wanting you would not come out ahead renting a car or doing uber/taxi to Kapolei for lower prices. You'll be fine at the Island Country Market across the street or even the shop inside Aulani.

For water consider bringing refillable water bottles from home. I thought the tap water at Aulani was good and you can just fill them and stick them the fridge. There is also a water pitcher in the kitchen you can use to keep cold water on hand and the fridge has an ice maker (but you may need to turn it on as soon as you check in).

Finally, I'd look carefully at the costs of rental for 1 day plus airport transfers vs rental for the whole time. For 4 adults I'd think just renting a car for the three days might be cheaper? We just had a minivan for a week for $200. There's lots of tips on the board for finding good rental car deals.

Great suggestions and points to consider. I think we'll try the market and see if that'll work since the transfer is part of our booked package.
As always, thanks for your help, DISers!

You can rent a car for a few hours from Enterprise that is located next door at Marriotts Koolina Beach Club. They also have an afternoon special for car rentals.

I have never used it, but "instacart" is available from the Kapolei Costco where you do an online shopping experience and they will deliver. An Lyft or Uber should be fairly inexpensive for the 3 mile trip to Target or Costco. (We also have Foodland and Safeway, but that is further into Kapolei proper).

You can rent a car for a few hours from Enterprise that is located next door at Marriotts Koolina Beach Club. They also have an afternoon special for car rentals.

Alamo is available at Aulani as well.

I'll also mention that the refillable mugs at Aulani worked well for us in lieu of buying cases of drinks. I think it was roughly $18.99, we found the drink stations to have multiple options and be conveniently located, and we still use the cute mugs at home two years later. If you're really stretching the budget, you could purchase one mug and share if you have your own cup from home or in the villa. The mugs are not chipped like they are in WDW, so no limit on how often you can fill up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter