Any good recipes for Beef Stroganoff?

gshoemate

<font color=blue>Wants to Talk to the Dolphins!<br
I'm sure I spelled that wrong.....While at Epcot's Food and Wine Festival, we just fell in love with Russia's Beef Stroganoff but I am not the greatest cook. Anyone have a good recipe? TIA

I made this one from allrecipes.com a while back and it turned out great...

http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/bfstrgnffiii.asp

I used a regular white onion instead of the green onions, and chicken broth b/c I was out of white wine and it was still delicious. Served it over egg noodles.

A couple of weeks later I made the "quick and easy" version that I usually make and WOW what a difference...The real thing was definitely worth the extra effort.

Good Luck,
Candi

I have the recipe from the Festival. As soon as I type it in I can post it for you.

Beef Stroganoff
F&W Festival 2003

1 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1" cubes
3 T. flour
Kosher salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 1/2 T. canola oil
1 small white onion, sliced
1 T. tomato paste
1 1/2 C. beef stock
3 T. sour cream (additional for garnish may be necessary)
8 oz. egg noodles, cooked and drained

Toss beef in flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat skillet on medium heat. Add 1/2 T. oil. Saute onions until transparent. Add remaining oil and add beef. Brown on all sides. Add tomato paste and cook to carmelize. Add beef stock and deglaze pan. Lower heat to a simmer.

Cook 40 minutes, until beef is tender.

Turn off heat and add sour cream, season with salt and pepper.

Top cooked noodles with stroganoff mixture and garnish with additional sour cream, if desired.

Mmmmm, that sounds good! I think I'll try the F&W recipe the next time. I usually do a crock pot version I found.

Beef Stroganoff – Crock Pot

1½ lb lean stewing beef
1 onion, sliced
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 Tbl ketchup
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp pepper
½ pt sour cream

Place beef & onion in crock pot. Combine soup, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce & pepper. Add to slow cooker; mixing well. Cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours. Just before serving, add sour cream & heat through. Serve over noodles.

All these sound really good and I will try them. I have a recipe I make using ground beef:

Hamburger Stroganoff

1lb. ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. butter or margarine
2 T. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can (4oz) mushrooms stems and pieces, drained
1 can (101/2oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream

Noodles

In large skillet, cook and stir meat and onion un butter until meat is brown and onion is tender. Stir in flour, salt, garlic, pepper and mushrooms; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in soup, heat to boiling, stirring constantly.

Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10 min. Stir in sour cream, heat through. Serve with noodles.

Wow thanks guys, my DH will enjoy trying all the recipes.

Margie J, you wouldn't happen to have the Cheddar Cheese Soup recipe would you? That would make my week!
:bounce:

I've collected several versions of that recipe.

From Le Cellier Steakhouse:
Cheddar Cheese Soup
½ lb bacon cut into ½” pieces
3 celery ribs cut into ¼” pieces
3 c milk
1 red onion cut into ¼” pieces (medium)
2 Tbl butter
3 c water or chicken broth
3 dashes tabasco
1 c flour
½ c Moosehead beer
¾ lb grated white cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

In a soup pot start to brown the onion over medium heat. When the bacon is starting to get crisp, add the onions, celery and butter. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add the flour and incorporate with the butter. Cook for 4 minutes-constantly stirring. Add the water/broth and whisk. Make sure there are no lumps. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stir every couple of minutes. Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk. After the last 15 minutes, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese then the beer. Add the tabasco and season with salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick you can thin it out with some milk. Serve with your favorite bread and top with some chopped scallions or chives.

From the 2002 F&W festival:

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
8 oz. Smoked Bacon, medium dice
2 Tblsp. Butter, unsalted
1 Medium Red Onion, meduim dice
3 ribs Celery, meduim dice
1 cup All purpose Flour
3 cups Chicken Stock, fresh made or low sodium
3 cups Whole milk
12 oz. White Cheddar, Canadian black Diamond
3 dashes Tabasco
3 dashes Worcestershire
4 fl. oz. Canadian Ale, Moosehead, warm
Kosher Salt.
Black Pepper, fresh ground
1 Tbslp. Chives, thinly sliced
2 Tblsp. Smoked Bacon, rendered crisp, fat removed
Method of Preparation:
Heat milk and chicken stock in sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Hold hot for soup. Put bacon in a large heavy bottom, non-reactive soup pot over a medium heat and cook bacon half way. Add butter, onion and celery and cook until onions are translucent and bacon has crisped. Stir in flour to make a roux and cook 7 minutes stirring often. Whisk in milk and stock stirring constantly, ensure that there are no lumps. Bring to a gentle simmer stirring often, let simmer 15 minutes, take caution not to scorch liquid. Remove from heat and quickly whisk in cheese until completely incorporated. Add Tobasco, Worcestershire and warm ale, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and sprinkle with chives and rendered bacon.

From the 2001 F&W festival:
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
Yields 4 to 6 servings

1 lb Cheddar cheese -- shredded
½ lb Bacon
4 strips Smoked bacon - applewood
10 Tbl Butter
5 c Milk -- warmed
1 c Celery -- finely chopped
1” Length Leeks -- finely chopped
2 each Red onion -- finely chopped
1½ c Flour
1 qt Chicken stock
1½ tsp Tabasco sauce
3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
To taste Black pepper -- freshly ground
To taste Kosher salt
3 tsp Ale

Method - Slowly heat milk. Brown the bacon (separately from the smoked bacon) first, then after it is rendered half way add the smoked bacon and render together. Add the butter and melt. Add celery, onions and leeks, cook until translucent. Add flour and mix thoroughly to form a roux. Add chicken stock and simmer for 3 minutes. Add warm milk and stir vigorously to thicken. Cook out roux until thickened (it should not have a starchy taste). Reduce heat to low, add cheese and stir until melted. Season with kosher salt, pepper, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. Just prior to serve, add warm ale.
Note : When re-heating soup, do not bring to a boil, it will break down. Makes 1 gallon.

Yum! More delicious sounding recipes. I love beef stroganoff. Haven't had it in ages though.

I do the hamburger stroganoff recipe but I simmer the soup part for 15 minutes, then add the sour cream and simmer again for another 15 minutes with a lid on. Make sure your heat is very low.

My dad made pork stroganoff a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad. He had some tenderloins to get used up - cut them in small chunks and did the same thing as with the hamburger. It didn't turn out too bad and the fat content would be a little lower since the meat is leaner.

I always do my Beef Stroganoff in the crock pot.

1 pound of beef stew meat
2 cans Golden Mushroom Soup
2 soup cans of water
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cook in crock pot on low for 8-10 hours.

Just before serving, mix in sour cream, and pour over wide egg noodles.

My family loves it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter