Any dog experts out there?

desamnik

DIS Veteran
Well, we thought it was a fluke the first time, but he did it again yesterday. We have an almost 2 year old male teacup yorkie, he weighs about 5 lbs. A couple of weeks ago, i felt something warm on my foot and came to the weird realization that my dog had lifted his leg and peed on me. It's not a dribble, its a full urination. WTH? Well, he did it again yesterday. WHY? why is he doing this to me? There are 3 of us in the house, me, DH, and DD., so far I am the only victim. This is the 3rd male dog we have had over the years, and none of us have ever heard of this.

Any thoughts? How do I stop this?

Yes, he is neutered. If you ask my family, they say I am his "favorite" even before this.

Yep, marking you. My little neutered male dog does that to females he likes, too. Makes for interesting trips to the park.

No advice though, maybe talk to a trainer and see if they have any ideas?

Well, we thought it was a fluke the first time, but he did it again yesterday. We have an almost 2 year old male teacup yorkie, he weighs about 5 lbs. A couple of weeks ago, i felt something warm on my foot and came to the weird realization that my dog had lifted his leg and peed on me. It's not a dribble, its a full urination. WTH? Well, he did it again yesterday. WHY? why is he doing this to me? There are 3 of us in the house, me, DH, and DD., so far I am the only victim. This is the 3rd male dog we have had over the years, and none of us have ever heard of this.

Any thoughts? How do I stop this?
2 is the prime age that dogs come into adulthood. He is letting you know he is the alpha. My guess is that because he is a teacup, he is basically allowed the run of the roost, a common mistake with the cute tiny dogs.

You need to make him understand that you are the boss, not him, and he is the lowest in the pack, not above you. Do not let him do anything, and I mean anything, without having to work for it or without your permission. If he wants to sit on your lap, he needs to do something first like a "sit" before you pick him up. If you give him a treat, make him work for it. Obedience training is always a plus in establishing pack order. If he urinates on you, teach him a down stay and make him down and then stay until YOU release him. A couple of minutes should be sufficient. Make him do a sit stay for his food before YOU release him to eat. Treat him like you would any dog. Since teacups are so tiny, people often have the misconception that they don't need the same type of obedience training a lab or golden would because they are so small they don't get in trouble. Nope.

I would suggest finding a trainer or even going to a class to teach him the basics of obedience. I usually tell people to stay far away from PetSmart type obedience classes, but for him, the basics you can learn are probably good enough. He just needs to know he does not need to mark you because you are not his, he is yours. He is the lowest of the low in the pack. He may be tiny and adorable, but he is still a dog.

2 is the prime age that dogs come into adulthood. He is letting you know he is the alpha. My guess is that because he is a teacup, he is basically allowed the run of the roost, a common mistake with the cute tiny dogs.

You need to make him understand that you are the boss, not him, and he is the lowest in the pack, not above you. Do not let him do anything, and I mean anything, without having to work for it or without your permission. If he wants to sit on your lap, he needs to do something first like a "sit" before you pick him up. If you give him a treat, make him work for it. Obedience training is always a plus in establishing pack order. If he urinates on you, teach him a down stay and make him down and then stay until YOU release him. A couple of minutes should be sufficient. Make him do a sit stay for his food before YOU release him to eat. Treat him like you would any dog. Since teacups are so tiny, people often have the misconception that they don't need the same type of obedience training a lab or golden would because they are so small they don't get in trouble. Nope.

I would suggest finding a trainer or even going to a class to teach him the basics of obedience. I usually tell people to stay far away from PetSmart type obedience classes, but for him, the basics you can learn are probably good enough. He just needs to know he does not need to mark you because you are not his, he is yours. He is the lowest of the low in the pack. He may be tiny and adorable, but he is still a dog.

I knew nothing about dogs before I moved in with my now husband and his dog. The dog had had little training at that point. The first thing I did was to establish that I was in charge. I made him sit before he did anything else. To this day (six years later), he consistently only listens to me and looks to me to see what to do.

Training is key. A dog is not your baby, it is a dog.

I knew nothing about dogs before I moved in with my now husband and his dog. The dog had had little training at that point. The first thing I did was to establish that I was in charge. I made him sit before he did anything else. To this day (six years later), he consistently only listens to me and looks to me to see what to do.

Training is key. A dog is not your baby, it is a dog.
Exactly. Toy dogs get a bad rap for being nippy, barking, little snots. Some of it is poor breeding (especially teacups which are not in any breed standard,) but mostly it is lack of training and obedience. People tend to spoil these little, cute things rather than treating them like any other dog with proper training and discipline.

The Yorkie is a terrier with all the feisty terrier temperament. It needs and craves obedience and training just like any other dog, otherwise it will make up its own rules like deciding they are the king of the house and peeing on their subjects to show dominance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter