Any dis members stationed in the DC area?

natenapril

DIS Veteran
Getting stationed in the DC area in the next 6-8 weeks. Anyone else here in that area? A little closer to WdW!! :cool1:

Getting stationed in the DC area in the next 6-8 weeks. Anyone else here in that area? A little closer to WdW!! :cool1:

Have you lived there before? We just moved from the area about 4 months ago. If you need any help or tips, I'll be happy to share.

Be prepared for traffic!

No, we have not lived there before! I visited years ago as a teenager and haven't been since.
My Husband will be working at Guard Headquarters and I am so nervous! We have 6 weeks until we move but my husband told me yesterday we may be able to move in 4 weeks.
I'm concerned with schools, traffic, and crime. It's a four year tour. I'm trying not to stress but failing miserably:laughing:

No, we have not lived there before! I visited years ago as a teenager and haven't been since.
My Husband will be working at Guard Headquarters and I am so nervous! We have 6 weeks until we move but my husband told me yesterday we may be able to move in 4 weeks.
I'm concerned with schools, traffic, and crime. It's a four year tour. I'm trying not to stress but failing miserably:laughing:

Just so you know, you have the option of getting on the housing list for Ft. Belvoir. People live there and then commute into the city. The post has all branches and tons of civs.

Housing is really expensive there. We used militarybyowner.com to find our rental home when we were there. We paid $2500 a month for a 4bdr/4ba almost 3k sqft house. It was close to my work but alot closer to his work and to the metro. We lived in Kingstowne(neighborhood name) which is right next to Springfield, VA. We lived 9.8 miles to the Pentagon and if my husband left after say 0545 he would wait at least an hour if not longer in traffic. Crazy!

Traffic there is crazy. If you personally don't have the paitence for it, think about where you would want to live. Will you be needing to use medical/hospital visits often?

I can give you some names of people to get some relocation help if you haven't received any packets or anything.

Unfortunately, we are not eligible for base housing except on Andrews (my DH is air force). Andrews is the only base there that allows three pets. And we have been turned down for 2 rentals so far due to the dogs so we are more than likely going to buy.
We have only been in Michigan for a year and now only have about 5-6 weeks to get this move going. SInce we have kids , our main priority right now is finding a home in a god school district. And then I will be applying to Bowie State to finish my degree so we need to be close there too. UGH!!
My husband is willing to commute even in traffic. Today he is buying a car that gets good gas mileage because we currently own two suv's.
There are so many conflicting opinions on where to live. It's just a crazy area to figure out. We may be able to go down in a couple of weeks though. Any suggestions where to spend the night that is clean and safe. It will just the two of us.

Unfortunately, we are not eligible for base housing except on Andrews (my DH is air force). Andrews is the only base there that allows three pets. And we have been turned down for 2 rentals so far due to the dogs so we are more than likely going to buy.
We have only been in Michigan for a year and now only have about 5-6 weeks to get this move going. SInce we have kids , our main priority right now is finding a home in a god school district. And then I will be applying to Bowie State to finish my degree so we need to be close there too. UGH!!
My husband is willing to commute even in traffic. Today he is buying a car that gets good gas mileage because we currently own two suv's.
There are so many conflicting opinions on where to live. It's just a crazy area to figure out. We may be able to go down in a couple of weeks though. Any suggestions where to spend the night that is clean and safe. It will just the two of us.

In DC you are eligble for housing on any post/installation no matter the branch. I don't know if you just really want to purchase a house in DC but you can live on Fort Belvoir with your 3 pets if two of the pets are under 25lbs. Here is the policy https://pinnaclemil.propertysolutions.com/media_library/1927/4babd94b8dab8784.pdf

It might be worth it to look into the housing and just get on the list if nothing else depending on how long you will be in DC.

We don't have children but from my friends' talk I wouldn't send my kids to the schools right outside Ft. Belvoir maingate unless I had to. You will get more for your money the farther out you live but you will pay for it in gas and commute. If your husband was on call, 24/7 I would think about living closer.

As for a hotel, you can find anything close to the metro for pretty cheap if you go over the weekend. There are several marriotts near Springfield metro(blue line) and easy to get to Ft Belvoir and down the interstate to the Guard Bureau and give you an idea about traffic and commute.

We were really overwhelmed when we moved there and found a relator to find our rental house as well as using militarybyowner and AHRN website. Now I would give the rest of the money in my account to leave here and go back.

Since we have 2 golden retrievers and a shih tzu they aren't allowing us to live on base unless it andrews( which is where my DH is assigned). The schools there are rated terribly though. Belvoir and Meade both said no to our dogs. And so far 2 rental homes have turned us down as well because of the dogs. Ugh.
He won't be on call which is nice. I don't want to live to far out because I hope to get accepted to Bowie state university to finish up my degree. And I hate driving let alone in traffiv:scared1:
I never expected my husband to get an assignment here so I'm pretty nervous

So you have pcs'ed from there?

I have 2 close friends in the area now. One lives in Alexandria and one is in Woodbridge. I'll be happy to ask them any questions you have that Tina can't answer (if there is such a thing!). My oldest attends college in DC as well.

I have to agree about the wretched traffic. It is miserable there so be prepared for that. The schools are hit and miss.

We are stationed about 90 minutes away in APG, MD, so not too far.

We are going house hunting this Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately, my DH only has 2 days for us to do it.
So I will take any suggestions on areas with good schools? I have 1 elementary, 1 middle school, and 1 in high school! I need some good places to look. My realtor is pushing Waldorf pretty hard but I'm not impressed.
Also , I will b finishing my BSW at Bowie university so close to that would be great for me too!

I live in Maryland. I am not associated with the miltary though. I would suggest looking at Anne Arundel county and Howard county. That would not be a bad commute. The schools are alot better than Prince George's County. The PG school system is in disarray. Let me know if you have any questions.
Stacy

We are going house hunting this Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately, my DH only has 2 days for us to do it.
So I will take any suggestions on areas with good schools? I have 1 elementary, 1 middle school, and 1 in high school! I need some good places to look. My realtor is pushing Waldorf pretty hard but I'm not impressed.
Also , I will b finishing my BSW at Bowie university so close to that would be great for me too!

I'm not super familiar with the MD area. I can say that Prince George county should just have a big red X on it. I don't know what is in the water there that makes everyone crazy.

There are several people that live in the MD area on the DIS if you post on the community board. All I can say is have patience of a saint driving through the traffic.

We really miss the area but do not miss the traffic at all.

I live in Maryland. I am not associated with the miltary though. I would suggest looking at Anne Arundel county and Howard county. That would not be a bad commute. The schools are alot better than Prince George's County. The PG school system is in disarray. Let me know if you have any questions.
Stacy

Thanks. I'll PM you soon. I'm looking at Hughesville, La Plata, and Waldorf right now. THe schools for Hughesville and La Plata are much better than Waldorf though.
I'm not super familiar with the MD area. I can say that Prince George county should just have a big red X on it. I don't know what is in the water there that makes everyone crazy.

There are several people that live in the MD area on the DIS if you post on the community board. All I can say is have patience of a saint driving through the traffic.

We really miss the area but do not miss the traffic at all.

I have heard the traffic is horrid. We are trading in our large SUV this week and buying a little Jetta since we will probably be sitting in traffic. Someone was telling my DH he needs to keep a empty gatorade bottle in the car:scared1::laughing:

Hi Natenapril!

We were stationed at Andrews in 2003-2005. I really liked LaPlata when we were there--not too big, not too small, good schools but still traffic. Also, we looked for a house in Dunkirk, Huntington, and Crofton because of the schools and there was more yard with the houses. These towns are north of Andrews, but I think the commute would be about the same. Also they are closer to Bowie if you are going to school that way.

At the time we were stationed there, real estate was at its peak and we were outbid on everything we liked! It was not unusual for houses to be listed then sold in the same day.

PM me if you have any questions.:goodvibes

We just left but lived on Ft. Belvoir. I think there is housing out in Waldorf MD. My cousin lives in Bowie Md and use to commute to Andrews. I hear that area has good schools.

Dh and I currently live in Springfield, VA. DH is in the Navy and works in a office that is actually a couple miles away from Andrews Air Force Base. It takes DH about 25 mins to get to work from here depending on the traffic (lol) I use Ft. Belvoir for my medical and the commisary and exchange since we live about 10 mins away from there so that is nice and easy. Good luck with your move!!

We just left but lived on Ft. Belvoir. I think there is housing out in Waldorf MD. My cousin lives in Bowie Md and use to commute to Andrews. I hear that area has good schools.

Dh and I currently live in Springfield, VA. DH is in the Navy and works in a office that is actually a couple miles away from Andrews Air Force Base. It takes DH about 25 mins to get to work from here depending on the traffic (lol) I use Ft. Belvoir for my medical and the commisary and exchange since we live about 10 mins away from there so that is nice and easy. Good luck with your move!!

So we put an offer in on a house in Hughesville but then I got cold feet:sick: Houses there are just so expensive. So we are are the list for a house at Belvoir. For his rank and dependents we are looking at a 3 week wait. I think we will just ride it out there until retirement in 4 years.
Thanks for all the help ladies!:yay:

I miss Belvoir!

Lots of good luck getting a house. I don't know what communities Belvoir offered you or what you qualify for as far as rank but don't take Dogue Creek housing. It's really bad. The post has a brand new hospital and last I heard they are getting a new px/commi too. The traffic is horrific but otherwise it's a great experience.

DO NOT TAKE DOGUE CREEK!
I live on Belvoir right now, and them saying not to 3 animals is Bull, you just have to pay a deposit.
If enlisted, you have choice of GW, Lewis, River and Dogue

If you want to know more about the houses, you can PM me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter