Any direct purchase other than Riviera.

Is it worth it to buy direct for that member card? 100 direct is way more money than 100 points resale. Just contemplating the value in the long run.
It depends on what you want to do with your membership. If you want to use points for DCL (cruise) AP' discount, some dinner discounts to name a few Then the answer is yes. Remember all those perks can be taken away at anytime and the only thing DVC guarantees is a deluxe room in a resort.

If you are concerned about resale value in 10-15 years, Riviera starts to look pretty good. The 2042s will be rapidly falling in value. OKW and SSR don't sell at the high end of the spectrum anyway so you're left with the MK resorts and AKV.

If I were buying for resale value in the MK area, BLT would be the resort I'd be looking at followed by VGF and CCV. The only (currently) Epcot area resort with any real value left in that timeframe will be Riviera.

You can purchase direct any Resort assuming Disney have the points.
I have 155 points direct, only because it means I can stay at RVA 1 week every 2 years in a 1BR.
Plus you can then stay at any new resorts. Plus I get the 'blue card' benefits.
But I also have 400 resale.

If you are concerned about resale value in 10-15 years, Riviera starts to look pretty good. The 2042s will be rapidly falling in value. OKW and SSR don't sell at the high end of the spectrum anyway so you're left with the MK resorts and AKV.

If I were buying for resale value in the MK area, BLT would be the resort I'd be looking at followed by VGF and CCV. The only (currently) Epcot area resort with any real value left in that timeframe will be Riviera.

Once the 2042's drop off, who knows what we will be looking at as far as resale value on any of them. The originals may hold value a bit more because they are not limited to home resort, but at that point there's not much time left on any of them either. SSR will have only 12 years and CCV will have 26 but with resorts dropping out every couple of years starting with SSR. Meanwhile, they will likely be reselling the old ones as new (so lots of direct points out there to compete for stays at what's left of the original resorts). Honestly, I can't really wrap my mind around it.

100%. The perception currently is highly reactive, which is fine, but over time this will subside. I expect that Reflections is not going to have the same level of outrage associated with it. Riviera will do fine and the resale restrictions crisis of 2019 will be a distant memory.

Can someone explain what the ”grandfathering” is In a little more detail please? If we have 120 direct SS points, and want to add 100 points, will resell points be able to be used exactly like direct points since we are already (direct) members? For example can I use my resell points at Riviera or Reflections (if and when it’s finished), or only the original 120 direct points? We already have a blue card and get the discounts. Really just asking about the points use.

Thanks!

Can someone explain what the ”grandfathering” is In a little more detail please? If we have 120 direct SS points, and want to add 100 points, will resell points be able to be used exactly like direct points since we are already (direct) members? For example can I use my resell points at Riviera or Reflections (if and when it’s finished), or only the original 120 direct points? We already have a blue card and get the discounts. Really just asking about the points use.

Thanks!
Resale points will not be eligible to use for RIV or likely Reflections. Only direct points will be able to be used there.

Thanks!

It is the points that count, not what else an owner has, If you buy resale points but then decide to sell the contract that qualifies you for a blue card, you would no longer have that card, as it is tied to those points

It is the points that count, not what else an owner has, If you buy resale points but then decide to sell the contract that qualifies you for a blue card, you would no longer have that card, as it is tied to those points
Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!