Any details and updates on the road projects?

Pipkin

Mouseketeer
I'm assuming that the road is being widened en route to the Magic Kingdom and there is a parking garage being built, however, there is a lot of land cleared. Anything else going into that area?

Yes, they've cleared a lot of land for the flyover project. Some of that is needed because the traffic patterns need to be re-routed during construction.

There have been no announcements of a parking garage for the MK.

I met a woman last night who lives behind the Magic Kingdom in Windermere. She feels that the flyover will benefit her and ease access to WDW. During the fireworks the road is closed past the Contemporary.

I met a woman last night who lives behind the Magic Kingdom in Windermere. She feels that the flyover will benefit her and ease access to WDW. During the fireworks the road is closed past the Contemporary.

She's going to be disappointed. During the regular fireworks the road past the Contemporary remains open. Its the road past the Grand Floridian that is closed during the regular fireworks. However, on special party nights when they do perimeter fireworks, then both are closed. The new construction doesn't have any affect on those sections of road though.

They have also started work on the Floridian Way extension that will link it to Reams Road. Between the other project and this one will be one more section that they haven't filed permits for yet.

upload_2016-7-19_9-40-48.jpg

Thanks @DanBoris for that map. I noticed the construction had started on that section a few weeks ago. It will certainly make it easier for us who live on that side of WDW to get to/from the parks.

OK I'm lousy with maps--which resorts will the flyover be accomodating. Is it the three monorail loop resorts? The idea of parking structures isn't bad, the ones at Disney Springs are terrific. Also it'd be nice to have access to indoor parking so the vehicle doesn't stay out the in the scorching sun all day.

OK I'm lousy with maps--which resorts will the flyover be accomodating. Is it the three monorail loop resorts? The idea of parking structures isn't bad, the ones at Disney Springs are terrific. Also it'd be nice to have access to indoor parking so the vehicle doesn't stay out the in the scorching sun all day.

The new roadwork will allow those going north towards the Magic Kingdom who are going to one of the monorail resorts, Fort Wilderness, or Wilderness Lodge to not have to stop at the parking plaza for the Magic Kingdom to be waived through.

It will also allow those leaving the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, and Fort Wilderness to get on the road southbound away from the Magic Kingdom without having to go in front of the Transportation and Ticket Center and Polynesian.

There is no parking garage being constructed as part of this work.

One of the biggest beneficiaries of this is all the bus traffic headed to and from Magic Kingdom and Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge. They'll no longer have to slow down to pass thru the Magic Kingdom parking toll both area on their way. And on their return, they'll no longer have to head across Seven Seas Drive passing the TTC and Poly and the traffic congestion that comes along there with pedestrian crosswalks and lights. They'll just continue straight down World Drive, over the flyover and continue on to their destination. It will take out a whole lot of congestion on Seven Seas Drive, especially in peak Magic Kingdom traffic times moving traffic more quickly and smoothly.

Guests heading to any of the MK area resorts will also no longer have to pass thru the parking toll booths and end up the wrong lane needing to cross 6 lanes of cars to get back to World Drive to head to one of the MK resorts. And again, when they're heading out they will have the option to just stay on World Drive, over the flyover and out instead of going across Seven Seas Drive.

Last edited:
They have also started work on the Floridian Way extension that will link it to Reams Road. Between the other project and this one will be one more section that they haven't filed permits for yet.

View attachment 260419

This is the project that is going to allow access to and from the north service area as well as north of the park to not be interrupted by normal nightly fireworks shows. It's not 100% clear but it may also not be impacted by the 180 shows for Halloween and Christmas parties. Right now the area across the north part of MK is blocked off during and after shows because the fireworks launch location is immediately on Floridian Way. The Floridian Way re-route project will remove all non-Disney cast/service traffic from the North Service area and north of the property and route it around the area and away from the primary fireworks launch location.

I drove by there yesterday and they are aggressively clearing trees for the odd hook in the road to create the 4 way intersection just to the east of the fire station. Based on the traffic pattern I'm assuming the roadway around the back of Magic Kingdom will be renamed once this is done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!